Richmond Contracts/Trading/Drafting and Pre-Season Discussion Thread!

Started by Toga, May 01, 2013, 03:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toga

And Lloyd looks like he's a pretty big threat around goals, can see him developing a bit more in the VFL this year but I'd assume he's been recruited as a replacement for Kingy somewhere along the tracks.. Good mark and good kick on goal, might be Jakey's last year or so in our firsts :(

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2013-11-21/2013-draft-pick-66-sam-lloyd

Nige

Nippa and Lloyd (we need a nickname for him if he doesn't already have one idk about) were recruited as guys who are ready to go if needed and wouldn't be surprised to see them used as such. 

Nige

We apparently had/have a bit of interest in a lad called James Toohey.

Quote from: Supercoach PaigeClub: Oakleigh Chargers
D.O.B: 27/3/9
Height: 197cm
Weight: 96kgs
Position: Key Defender/Forward
Plays Like: Ben Reid

An absolutely outstanding year for Oakleigh Chargers saw key defender, James Toohey take home the coveted best and fairest award. Th 197cm versatile big man was once upon a time a key forward, however was pushed into defense this year to ramp up his draft prospects. Toohey is every bit an athlete; he has a fantastic engine, a big endurance base that almost always sees him overrun his direct opponent as he loves to get higher up the ground. Up forward, Toohey has a whopping left foot, and an accurate one at that. He reads the ball well in flight, and his vertical leap often sores over opponents taking big contested grabs. But since shifting to defense this year, Toohey displayed he was able to play a key lock down role, whilst also go with the center half forwards, often wearing them down and playing a physical style of play. If this wasn't enough, Toohey also moved into the midfield, where he stood out and was unmatched in the period he spent through the middle. His running game and marking around the ground was near unstoppable, presenting a precise kicking efficiency and the ability to win the ball ground level. Toohey averaged 15 disposals this year, whilst also running a quick 3.05 sec 20m sprint at the state combine. in October.

Who's Looking? Richmond took to Toohey with warmth in the lead up to the draft, and could deliver on that interest in the rookie draft.

quinny88

nickstiges

Out: White, McGuane, Nahas, Derickx, Tuck

In: Lennon, Gordon, Lloyd, Hampson, Petterd (rookie promotion)

Net gain/loss of 0 and considering we had 38 players on the list for 2013 with a maximum allowance of 40 we could take 2 more theoretically + rookie spots.

Nige

Toga

Haven't heard much about Toohey but looking at that from SC Paige it sounds like he could make a good addition to our side. I think we've covered an area that lacked much depth in the small/medium forward department in the national draft, with all three of our picks being this type of player, so now I would love to see another tall defender added to the ranks. I feel as though if Chappy or Rance were to suffer an injury (touch wood) I think we would be a bit short.

Thomas, Batsanis & Toohey sound good if that's our wish list so far! :)

Kellogscrunchynut

With a DOB of 27/3/9 not sure if its the right direction for the tiges, I think were better off recruiting someone less than 2,000 years old ;).

Nige

The more I think about it, the more I'm warming to the idea of picking up Bathie for a worst case scenario situation and moving on Orren.

Chelskiman

Quote from: Toga on November 25, 2013, 08:31:02 PM
Thomas, Batsanis & Toohey sound good if that's our wish list so far! :)

Certainly wouldn't complain at that.  It would add some much needed depth, which is a must if you want to play deep into September.

Toga

Yeah, I feel as though our depth is looking pretty good in the forward line at the moment, but some extra mid depth & tall defender depth wouldn't hurt...

Nige

Yeah, I reckon our defensive depth isn't overly great.

I think we're fine in pretty much all other departments.

Kellogscrunchynut

Nige

Does Batsanis have a nickname? If not, it's almost certainly gotta be Batman right?  :P

quinny88

Defensive depth is pretty good.
If either Rance or chappy went down with injury, grimes is more than capable of holding a key defensive post.
Backup defenders that don't get regular games are griffiths, batchelor, astbury, dea. Not to bad, none would play a key role but could all play 3rd tall.
Midfield can always do with more depth but that's pretty strong to. Not so much in the 2's but guys like Conca, Ellis, Martin etc could all step into permanent roles if they were needed.
And now the bolstering of our forward line has helped massively. Would still love one of those really dangerous type small forwards. Garlett would have been nice.
Strongest our list has been in the 25 years I've been alive. Very excited for the coming years