Richmond Contracts/Trading/Drafting and Pre-Season Discussion Thread!

Started by Toga, May 01, 2013, 03:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jroo

Quote from: nickstiges on November 22, 2013, 02:41:39 PM
Think he'd play more HFF with some run through the midfield. Would be behind Knights, same height but heavier than Lennon, I think he's heavily underrated and played pretty well before that horrible knee cap injury (not sure if he'll be ready for Rd1 though).
In terms of games next year, I agree about 10 would seem likely.

What are thoughts on Gordon & Lloyd getting games?
Don't know much about either, could they push The Push Up King out of the line up?
Knights should be fine for round 1, he was great before injury and he's one of our best small/medium forwards.
Gordon and Lloyd are there for depth, difficult to tell if they'll get games. If they play well over the preseason then they will be in contention for a spot come round 1. I think Push Up will find it hard keeping his spot and this will probably be his and Newman's last year.

Nige

Gordon will push for games I'd say, not sure whether Lloyd will play too many.

Kellogscrunchynut

Might just mention that Lloyd kicked 7 goals against Coburg last year.

Nige

Quote from: Kellogscrunchynut on November 22, 2013, 02:51:25 PM
Might just mention that Lloyd kicked 7 goals against Coburg last year.
Now he can kick 7 for our VFL side.  ;)

Nige

"We scanned the pool and ranked the players and felt perhaps this draft wasn't all that deep, so we did look at a few experienced players consequently. It wasn't specific we'd go for mature-aged but we felt the draft dropped off a fair bit and obviously we didn't have a second round pick in trading for Shaun Hampson so with those back-end picks, we were looking for players who could compete and are perhaps ready to go." - Francis Jackson, recruiting manager

Nige

Pick 12 - Ben Lennon
"We know him very well. He spent his AIS week with us in January, which is always a good insight into their personality and their talent, and he fitted in like he'd been there five years so it was really pleasing to see the way he embraced all the physical aspects of training. We like to include the kids in everything, they join the club like they're another player, and we sat him down at the end of the week and gave him feedback and then we followed him over the course of the year. We've had a few players text us who remembered his week and said they had hoped we'd pick him." - Francis Jackson

Pick 50 - Nathan Gordon
"He's 23, from North Adelaide and had a terrific year, playing a midfield/forward role. He played a really good finals series and was good under pressure. We've been tracking him all year and we think he can come in and play a role straight away. He's a little bit older so we think he's ready to go physically, and he's had a great SANFL year, which was very competitive. He's also been a Sydney rookie before and we had a really good look at him last year prior to him going to North Adelaide, and we liked his physicality. We had a good contact - Shane Edwards' dad is CEO of North Adelaide - which was good to have." - Francis Jackson

Pick 66 - Sam Lloyd
"He's from Frankston and kicked a lot of goals in his first year in the VFL after playing for Mt Eliza. He's a very crafty forward and has amazing ability to read the ball in flight and to play good, old fashioned footy. He went to Geelong Grammar - I think he was injured in his 18th year so he didn't play much TAC footy - but he kicked over 100 goals for Deniliquin in the country [in 2010], and then at Mt Eliza - we went and watched him play there two years ago and then followed his progress closely because we always thought he had ability. He's also a little bit older, he judges the ball well and they're hard to find, players like that, with their footy knowledge... they beat players with their ability to read the play." - Francis Jackson

Nige

By what Francis Jackson has said about Nathan Gordon, he's clearly a guy we've recruited to use interchangeably with Knighta.

Jroo

Quote from: NigeyS on November 22, 2013, 03:21:44 PM
By what Francis Jackson has said about Nathan Gordon, he's clearly a guy we've recruited to use interchangeably with Knighta.
I remember when he played for Sydney, I didn't think he was too bad.

Mailman the 2nd

was a little disappointed when he left Sydney, if he gets stuck into the Richmond training he can become a decent player

Toga

I'd say, while Lennon does have the ability to be a marking option third tall type player up forwards, it's more likely he'll be used as a flanker/crummer instead given we'll be hard pressed to pick only three talls next year. Very similar build to Knights, so I'd say they'll be used interchangeably, although one of them could push Kingy out of the team this year (although I hate to say it :() so both can play at once.

Nippa is also a pretty similar build to the other two blokes so yeah I guess that's five guys (Lennon, Knights, Nippa, Titch & Kingy) that are fighting it out for three spots in the team next year as small forwards..

Quote from: NigeyS on November 22, 2013, 02:37:22 PM
Quote from: JROO8 on November 22, 2013, 02:35:11 PM
Well Maric and Hampson can't play in the ruck at the same time, so I meant one of them will have to play up forward.
Yeah, I know haha. Might be interesting though considering the interchange cap.

I think Maric & Hampson both play in the same team because of the interchange cap. Riewoldt and Vickery to play as the main targets with the resting ruck man up in the pocket to minimise interchange rotations. Maric can also drop back pretty nicely so still leaves the option for an Edwards or someone to play up forwards at times.

Quote from: JROO8 on November 22, 2013, 03:32:10 PM
I still remember this, haha
http://youtu.be/-Fu8BMehnX8

Haha, classic. I like him!

Nige

I've seen talk of Sam Lloyd filling the small forward role.

[By the way Toges, reply my PMs :P]

Chelskiman

Jay

Great pickup with Gordon. He'll be a handy player for you mob :)

Toga

I REALLY like what I see with Gordon - looks like he's gonna be a better replacement for Nahas. Pacey, can break tackles, doesn't mind winning his own ball but doesn't mind receiving it from teammates, and knows how to kick a goal. Wouldn't be surprised to see him play next year!!

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2013-11-21/2013-draft-pick-nathan-gordon