Richmond Contracts/Trading/Drafting and Pre-Season Discussion Thread!

Started by Toga, May 01, 2013, 03:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

Mark Stevens ‏@Stevo7AFL 10m
Shaun Hampson to Richmond will be one of first trades to drop today, within hours. Deal ... Tigers give up second round pick ... High 20s.

Nige

TeeJay

Richmond paying overs for hampson. He marks like he has saucepans attached to his hands and Megan Gale is a better kick. He couldnt barely get a game at Carlton so why would they give them a second round pick for him? :/

Does he even get a game??  :o Where would he play?

specky92

It does seem a bit odd, especially with the hype around McBean and Vickery isn't a bad back up either

nickstiges

Yeah I don't see why a high-20s pick is worth a 3rd string ruckman to become a 2nd string ruckman behind the Mullet.

Unless they're pressuring Vickers it sounds useless, Orren is good enough back up for now.

Jroo

He's not a bad ruckmen and Maric does need a some help. The draft depth isn't so great after pick 20, so pick 30 or so isn't worth a lot. At Carlton he was played as the first or second forward and occasionally rucking, while at Richmond he would be our second ruck and play up forward where he'd get the fourth best defender. I don't mind the addition of Hampson to our team but if we miss out I don't really care. He'd be ahead of McBean for now.

Nige

Quote from: TeeJay on October 07, 2013, 02:27:25 PM
Richmond paying overs for hampson. He marks like he has saucepans attached to his hands and Megan Gale is a better kick. He couldnt barely get a game at Carlton so why would they give them a second round pick for him? :/

Yeah, Carlton got lucky here, don't know who decided our second round was the go, third rounder would have been enough but given the quality of this draft, pick 30 probably won't be a star and may not even play 50 games, Hammer, at 25, will definitely play at least 3 seasons and play 50 games in the yellow and black.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Hammer is a ruck, not a forward. Carlton turned him into a forward and tried to get something out of him like that because Krooz is their main man, can't mark or kick to save his life. Ivvy was struggling with his groin all year which is why his 2013 was nothing like his 2012, which is part of the reason we got Hammer.

Some fun facts:
- Hampson only played about 4 games as No.1 ruck at the Blues and averaged about 30 hitouts in those games.
- Hampson ranks elite in comp for two categories; hitouts to advantage and ruck contests won. Outperforms Kreuzer and Warnock in those catergories - the two that matter most.

Quote from: specky92 on October 07, 2013, 02:29:33 PM
It does seem a bit odd, especially with the hype around McBean and Vickery isn't a bad back up either

They'll make Ty and Beanie forwards.

Ivvy can also play up forward and/or rest there.

Jroo

Quote from: NigeyS on October 07, 2013, 02:41:34 PM
Quote from: TeeJay on October 07, 2013, 02:27:25 PM

Yeah, Carlton got lucky here, don't know who decided our second round was the go, third rounder would have been enough but given the quality of this draft, pick 30 probably won't be a star and may not even play 50 games, Hammer, at 25, will definitely play at least 3 seasons and play 50 games in the yellow and black.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Hammer is a ruck, not a forward. Carlton turned him into a forward and tried to get something out of him like that because Krooz is their main man, can't mark or kick to save his life. Ivvy was struggling with his groin all year which is why his 2013 was nothing like his 2012, which is part of the reason we got Hammer.

Some fun facts:
- Hampson only played about 4 games as No.1 ruck at the Blues and averaged about 30 hitouts in those games.
- Hampson ranks elite in comp for two categories; hitouts to advantage and ruck contests won. Outperforms Kreuzer and Warnock in those catergories - the two that matter most.

Quote from: specky92 on October 07, 2013, 02:29:33 PM

They'll make Ty and Beanie forwards.

Ivvy can also play up forward and/or rest there.
Well said Nige, Hampson is actually a decent ruckmen.
Our second round pick isn't too bad and remember there's a lot of compo picks as well which will push our pick down further.

Nige

"2.17pm: The latest on Carlton ruckman Shaun Hampson via Trade Radio.

Hampson's manager Michael Quinlan says Hampson is keen to get to Richmond if a good deal can be done.

There is no animosity between Hampson and Carlton.

He's still contracted for another year but according to Quinlan Richmond are very interested in Hampson, he is open to moving to the Tigers and the Blues are compliant in the process at present.

Sounds like it's becoming unlikely he'll head to Hawthorn - which is also in need of a ruckman - if he leaves Carlton at all."

Source: Trade Radio/AFL site.

Nige

Quote from: JROO8 on October 07, 2013, 02:46:16 PM
Well said Nige, Hampson is actually a decent ruckmen.
Our second round pick isn't too bad and remember there's a lot of compo picks as well which will push our pick down further.
Yep, by the time they're all dished out, our pick will have gone from 30 to the mid-late 30s...

specky92

A forward line of jroo, Edwards, Vickery and McBean?  :o

Nige

Quote from: specky92 on October 07, 2013, 04:30:31 PM
A forward line of jroo, Edwards, Vickery and McBean?  :o

Potentially, although unlikely, one won't be in the side or will be on the bench at the very least.

kilbluff1985

_wato

Richmond have declined Chappy, so you won't be recruiting him. Bold move, but obviously want to play the young guns! Thoughts?

Nige

Quote from: _wato on October 07, 2013, 08:38:25 PM
Richmond have declined Chappy, so you won't be recruiting him. Bold move, but obviously want to play the young guns! Thoughts?
While I wouldn't have minded Chappy coming to us, I think it's the right move.