Main Menu

Official AFL Player Ratings

Started by Clyde Frog, April 29, 2013, 11:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toga

Ziplock

I'm looking at it as well... poor effort imo.

the top 40 contains 6 non-mids

Franklin (12), Nic Nat (13), Goodes (15), Roughead (29), Hurn (37) and Breust (40)

It has goldstein ranked above cox... goldy had a good 2011, and is having a good 2013... but his 2012 was very average, cox should be destroying him.

Mcpharlin's ranked 280th...

glass is ranked 243

compared to watts who's 106

good job creating another midfield biased algorithm.

Toga

Yeah just been looking over it myself Zip... Also watched the video - I don't understand how points are given out still, it just seemed like they were going "And yep there's a handball receive and goal, let's give him 2.3 points"

Doesn't make sense to me. Can't believe Breust & Jetta are ranked so high. And don't understand how Dangerfield is 7th tbh..

BB67th

Well after watching that to me it seems that the AFL have said we have Dream Team which is all about stats, now lets make something that scores like SuperCoach with effectiveness included. And really, even though the values are different, it just is SuperCoach with midfielders well up there. It obviously does not favor any kind of player if people like McPharlin are down at 288. I guess we will just have to keep waiting for an actual good stats system to be developed.

BB67th

So reading more about it, I think this is how it works

-When a team kicks a goal, the passage of play from full back (or the centre bounce) to goal gives the team 6 points
-These 6 points are weighted to all players involved in the chain according to their impact on the contest

You can see more on how they weight all the points on a PDF that is on the site.

I don't really like the way these rankings work. Nothing really revolutionary or groundbreaking about them.

Toga

Was just thinking something similar BB - sounds like another fantasy game may be on the cards next year :o

PowerBug

The current player ranking system is the SC scoring system. So this would just replace SC, as all that's happened is an update of Champion Data's ranking points.

Edit: or looking at it closer, i'm wrong. :P
Leader of the King Karl Amon fan club
Coach of WXV side Rio De Janeiro Jaguars
2023 SC: Rank 126

Toga

@PB & KoopKicka, check the latest rankings, Dangerfield is #7.

PowerBug

Quote from: Toga on May 09, 2013, 04:54:39 PM
@PB & KoopKicka, check the latest rankings, Dangerfield is #7.
Yeah, i noticed. I think it's more of a case that his 39th and 40th (now 41st and 42nd) last games weren't so good (coz they now roll out of the cycle) as opposed to his last 2 games being great.

PowerBug

Ooooo, and my favourite AFL player (not fantasy footballer, player) is the best defender in the competition >:D

Capper

elephants

Glass 246? For real? This is rubbish haha.

tbagrocks

The Dangerman is second ;)  Where the frog is everybody's next Ablett, Trent Cotchspud? Keep scrolling ;D

http://www.afl.com.au/stats/player-ratings/overall-standings

its me lads

Yeah this rankings system is crap... Dangerfield should be 1  ;D

But seriously though they aren't very good.  ???

elephants

I saw Rioli @ 10 and Nic Nat @ 11 and just laughed. Ridiculous.