Official AFL Player Ratings

Started by Clyde Frog, April 29, 2013, 11:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kilbluff1985

interesting one

GAJ, Pendles, Nic Nat? i dunno lol

Ziplock

yeah, actually I'll go pendles + ablett and mitchell/cox

mitchells been runner up for the browlow 2 years in a row now.

Ziplock

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-05-08/official-afl-player-ratings-no3

pendles pulls out third :P

I'm really thinking it's going to be ablett + mitchell (otherwise mitchell will have been stiffed chronically). Lovely to see, once again, that these rankings contain so much positional bias... only franklin is a non-midfielder, and rioli the only partial midfielder...

I really wish they'd come up with a system that could give more recognition to non mids.

PowerBug

Zip, the top two haven't been announced yet. ;) What if Cox is No. 1? :P

GAJ would have to be number one, and Selwood is my current pick for 2. As long as it's not Dangerfield i'm happy.
Leader of the King Karl Amon fan club
Coach of WXV side Rio De Janeiro Jaguars
2023 SC: Rank 126

KoopKicka

If Dangerfields number 2 Im writing a letter of complaint.

Mat0369

Sam Mitchell is so consistent that him being number 2 would not surprise me.

Toga

Quote from: KoopKicka on May 08, 2013, 01:54:10 PM
If Dangerfields number 2 Im writing a letter of complaint.

Surely won't be, if it's done on the last 40 games then Danger's 2011 was nowhere near good enough!

GAJ gotta be #1, reckon Mitchell's a good chance for #2.

Funny how we can't tell who the second best player in the game is haha :P

Noz

This top 10 list lost all credibility when Cyril Rioli was named at 5!

Ablett should get first and second.

Mat0369

Quote from: Toga on May 08, 2013, 02:00:13 PM
Surely won't be, if it's done on the last 40 games then Danger's 2011 was nowhere near good enough!

GAJ gotta be #1, reckon Mitchell's a good chance for #2.

Funny how we can't tell who the second best player in the game is haha :P

I would have had Pendles at number 2 if this was purely midfielders. I think he and Ablett are clearly the 2 best in the game. Mitchell has the consistency to be rated top 2 but I think Cox has been that dominant as a big man that he would have to get a look in. Unless it is a key defender.....

Holz

obviously cotchin at 2 and ABlett at 1.

Should be pendles at 2.

remove rioli from the list move buddy to 5 and put in selwood at 7

Selwood is top 3 this year soo far.

Clyde Frog

Quote from: Noz on May 08, 2013, 02:02:27 PM
This top 10 list lost all credibility when Cyril Rioli was named at 5!

You have to remember that it takes absolutely everything there is to a game of football into account and not just what you do when you have the ball.
I found this in the FAQ's.

"Why are some players rated higher than others I think are better players?
For example

Cyril Rioli (forward)

Because of the high value of possession in the forward half of the ground and inside 50, efficient use of the ball forward of centre is highly rewarded. Cyril Rioli's kicking efficiency in the forward half of the ground in 2012 ranked ninth of the 142 players with 100 or more kicks. When Rioli kicked the ball into the forward line he found a mark 31% of the time

Mat0369

Quote from: Clyde Frog on May 08, 2013, 04:12:11 PM
You have to remember that it takes absolutely everything there is to a game of football into account and not just what you do when you have the ball.
I found this in the FAQ's.

"Why are some players rated higher than others I think are better players?
For example

Cyril Rioli (forward)

Because of the high value of possession in the forward half of the ground and inside 50, efficient use of the ball forward of centre is highly rewarded. Cyril Rioli's kicking efficiency in the forward half of the ground in 2012 ranked ninth of the 142 players with 100 or more kicks. When Rioli kicked the ball into the forward line he found a mark 31% of the time

Based off that is Kieren Jack in with a chance? He was one of the most damaging players forward of center last season. Steve Johnson would be the other one to consider with all the score assists he racks up. I am still thinking it might be Cox or Mitchell, but either of those other two would not surprise me.

kilbluff1985

Toga

Could be kb, has been ultra consistent for the tigers for years now, very durable also. Only thing stopping him has been a sh!tehouse team around him early in his career, getting better now though :P

Ziplock

Dangerfield, Cotchin and Deledio haven't been good enough for long enough (as it takes the last 40 games played for the rankings) to be deserving of a top 2 spot. I think you'll find danger just out of the top 20 and cotchin/ lids just out of the top 10.

I'm convinced now it'll be mitchell at 2 and ablett at 1.