Main Menu

Worst AFL top ten draft picks opinions?

Started by jobe#4, April 19, 2013, 02:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holz

Quote from: elephants on November 15, 2013, 01:34:48 PM
Quote from: Holzman on November 15, 2013, 01:31:35 PM
Quote from: elephants on November 15, 2013, 01:28:06 PM
Chris Judd the best player ever? Puh-lease. He's a great player don't get me wrong but the best player ever is a pretty significant stretch.

A player being a club champ after being selected at pick 3? Mate, thats mandatory haha.

He isn't the best player ever but he is the best eagle ever.

But you said he was the best player ever? haha. I dunno, I hate Judd so I really can't make comment on whether or not he's the best Eagle ever. One thing is for certain though, he's a dickhead.

I don't understand this mentality at all.

He played his heart out and lead the club to a premiership. After years of service he went home for his family. He made sure you got a good deal and left you in a good position.

I don't how he could have handled it any better. He is such a class guy and always puts his club first, puts everything he has into the club and looks after the kids.

A true legend, as both a player and a person.

SydneyRox

Quote from: Ringo on November 15, 2013, 01:30:39 PM
Simon Black at Pick 31 in the 1997 draft would be a steal in hindsight.

Top 5 picks in this draft were Travis Johnstone, Brad Ottens, Trent Croad, Mark Bolton and Luke Power.

Probably only Croad and possibly Ottens caold be close to Black.

You missed the best player picked in this draft.....

@ 43 - Adam Goodes - THAT is a steal - 2 Brownlows, 331+ games, 4 x AA, 3 x B&F, 3 x Club Leading goal kicker, Rising star winner

Black has an impressive CV and one of my all time favs, but not as good as Goodes

Ricochet

Quote from: SydneyRox on November 15, 2013, 01:52:52 PM

Top 5 picks in this draft were Travis Johnstone, Brad Ottens, Trent Croad, Mark Bolton and Luke Power.

@ 43 - Adam Goodes - THAT is a steal - 2 Brownlows, 331+ games, 4 x AA, 3 x B&F, 3 x Club Leading goal kicker, Rising star winner

Black has an impressive CV and one of my all time favs, but not as good as Goodes
That one of the best I've seen on this thread, in terms of steals

elephants

Quote from: CrowsFan on November 15, 2013, 01:45:10 PM
Chris Judd the best player ever? Puh-lease. He's a great player don't get me wrong but the best player ever is a pretty significant stretch.

A player being a club champ after being selected at pick 3? Mate, thats mandatory haha.

But you said he was the best player ever? haha. I dunno, I hate Judd so I really can't make comment on whether or not he's the best Eagle ever. One thing is for certain though, he's a dickhead.
No he didn't. He said he was their best ever player, referring to the Eagles, not the whole comp ;)

It comes down to how you interpret it.

Quote from: Holzman on November 15, 2013, 01:18:35 PM
Quote from: Ziplock on November 15, 2013, 12:55:06 PM
I think in order to identify if a player was a steal or not you have to have a look at the quality of the players taken before them

2001:
1 Hodge
2 Ball
3 JUDD

2010:
24 Cripps
25 Karnezis
26 DARLING

Honestly, looking at  that, I'd call the current difference between darling and karnezis/ cripps wayyyyyy higher than the overall difference between judd and ball/ hodge.

That's not a fair comparison. Instead would be better to compare to other pick 3s

Hansen Martin etc..

Darling hasn't played enough to judge yet. Judd is a club champion and I would argue the best ever player. Anytime you get a club champ at pick 3 it's a steal. They do this type of stuff in the nba all the time.

Often pick 1 players are labeled best picks ever. Because think of the value of pick 1 in terms of trading for a player than compare the standard of that player to the guy picked.

Michael Jordan at pick 3 is the greatest pick in the nba.

Quite clearly it can be inferred he was making reference to the entire competition ;)

Quote from: Holzman on November 15, 2013, 01:45:44 PM

I don't understand this mentality at all.

He played his heart out and lead the club to a premiership. After years of service he went home for his family. He made sure you got a good deal and left you in a good position.

I don't how he could have handled it any better. He is such a class guy and always puts his club first, puts everything he has into the club and looks after the kids.

A true legend, as both a player and a person.

Dollar bills my friend, dollar bills. While I have no doubts Masten and JJK will be/are great players, they are/were nowhere near the amount that should have been paid for one of the best players in the competition AT THAT STAGE who was just entering his prime.

And no, Ben Cousins was the real captain. Chris Judd the 'good-guy' facade. ;)

I am going to say again, I respect that Judd is a great player and was amazing at times for us but I still don't like him and still disagree that he was a 'steal' at pick 3.

Well this thread has gone sufficiently off-topic. From worst top 10 draft picks to biggest steals of the draft haha.

CrowsFan

Quote from: elephants on November 15, 2013, 02:02:33 PM

No he didn't. He said he was their best ever player, referring to the Eagles, not the whole comp ;)

I think in order to identify if a player was a steal or not you have to have a look at the quality of the players taken before them

2001:
1 Hodge
2 Ball
3 JUDD

2010:
24 Cripps
25 Karnezis
26 DARLING

Honestly, looking at  that, I'd call the current difference between darling and karnezis/ cripps wayyyyyy higher than the overall difference between judd and ball/ hodge.

That's not a fair comparison. Instead would be better to compare to other pick 3s

Hansen Martin etc..

Darling hasn't played enough to judge yet. Judd is a club champion and I would argue the best ever player. Anytime you get a club champ at pick 3 it's a steal. They do this type of stuff in the nba all the time.

Often pick 1 players are labeled best picks ever. Because think of the value of pick 1 in terms of trading for a player than compare the standard of that player to the guy picked.

Quite clearly it can be inferred he was making reference to the entire competition ;)
That's because you changed his quote  ::)
The original says "their best ever player", not the best ever. Admit you were wrong ;)

Fantasygun

I'm a saints supporter but i'd have to say Raph Clarke at pick #8 lol

elephants

Quote from: CrowsFan on November 15, 2013, 02:08:43 PM
Quote from: elephants on November 15, 2013, 02:02:33 PM

2001:
1 Hodge
2 Ball
3 JUDD

2010:
24 Cripps
25 Karnezis
26 DARLING

Hansen Martin etc..

That's because you changed his quote  ::)
The original says "their best ever player", not the best ever. Admit you were wrong ;)

What? Huh? Nope, that wasn't me? ???

:P Fine, I misread. THERE I SAID IT! haha

SydneyRox

Quote from: Ricochet on November 15, 2013, 02:01:49 PM
Quote from: SydneyRox on November 15, 2013, 01:52:52 PM

That one of the best I've seen on this thread, in terms of steals

Yeah, 2nd best in history IMO.

Cant go past Hird for #1 steal. 1990 Pick # 79  :o

Ziplock

2001:
1 Hodge
2 Ball
3 JUDD

2010:
24 Cripps
25 Karnezis
26 DARLING

Hansen Martin etc..

Darling hasn't played enough to judge yet. Judd is a club champion and I would argue their best ever player. Anytime you get a club champ at pick 3 it's a steal. They do this type of stuff in the nba all the time.

you cant compare draft years, that just doesn't make sense. We're talking about 'steals' of the draft, where other players are taken in other years has no direct effect on your own pick/ draft, so you can't compare it like that.

Darling has shown enough imo to be considered a steal, compared to other players around his place in his draft. Obviously hasn't been able to show his full potential though, but with pick 3 you're basically guaranteed a good midfielder but a pick in the mid 20s getting a good key forward is way more speculative.

Holz

Darling should t even be mentioned check out north.

Brent Harvey 47
Scott Thompson 37
Todd Goldstein 37
Drew Petrie 23
Andrew Swallow 47.

Eagles best ever pick is , dean cox 28th rookie draft has to be up there for one of the best of any club.

In terms of Nat than it's embley. Pick 57 for a norm smith medalist who played 250 games.

elephants

Quote from: Holzman on November 15, 2013, 05:02:18 PM
check out north.

Brent Harvey 47
Scott Thompson 37
Todd Goldstein 37
Drew Petrie 23
Andrew Swallow 47.

North first round picks 2000-2005.

2000 - Dylan Smith, Daniel Harris
2001 - David Hale, Ashley Watson
2002 - Daniel Wells, Hamish McIntosh
2003 - David Trotter
2004 - NONE
2005 - NONE

North really really needed to jag guns in the 3rd and 4th rounds because their first round picking was atrocious. With the exception of Wells (who was pick 2) and then maybe McIntosh and Hale they have really dudded the draft. Possibly why they ended up trading their first round picks in 04 and 05 haha.

nrich102

Jono Brown at pick 30, sounds pretty good to me ;)

Mr.Craig

Dean Cox, Brad Sewell, Michael Osborne, Darren Jolly, Nick Maxwell, Brett Kirk, Tadhg Kennelly, Mal Michael, Mark Johnson.

All taken in the rookie draft and all premiership players.

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: Mr.Craig on November 15, 2013, 05:36:24 PM
Dean Cox, Brad Sewell, Michael Osborne, Darren Jolly, Nick Maxwell, Brett Kirk, Tadhg Kennelly, Mal Michael, Mark Johnson.

All taken in the rookie draft and all premiership players.

There have been some pretty ordinary premiership players though throughout history. Not saying any of them are ( they're/were all really good players bar Maxwell :P)

Justin Bieber

Funny that all of this discussion is not even answering the topic question lol