Previous topic - Next topic

Holz

Quote from: elephants on November 15, 2013, 12:14:10 PM
Quote from: Holzman on November 15, 2013, 09:54:00 AM
Quote from: elephants on November 14, 2013, 05:52:14 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on November 14, 2013, 01:50:35 PM
Quote from: Mr.Craig on November 14, 2013, 12:54:07 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-13/draft-hits-and-misses
I think Freo's is very harsh. We never got to see Pitt's full potential. We've had a lot worse picks than that in our history
Lecca (37), Fletcher (28), Darling (26) all bigger 'steals' imo than Judd at 3.

Darling isn't that good.

Hahahahahahahahahaha. Let's revisit this in 10 years time.

Deal.

I said he was a steal to go that late I had him top 15 in the draft. Still Judd at 3 was much better.

Justin Bieber

Darling would of gone earlier if it wasnt for his on field behaviour

Mailman the 2nd

Not really sure how Judd at 3 can be considered a "steal" considering picks 1-5 are more or less arbitrary in terms of quality.

Ziplock

I think in order to identify if a player was a steal or not you have to have a look at the quality of the players taken before them

2001:
1 Hodge
2 Ball
3 JUDD

2010:
24 Cripps
25 Karnezis
26 DARLING

Honestly, looking at  that, I'd call the current difference between darling and karnezis/ cripps wayyyyyy higher than the overall difference between judd and ball/ hodge.

elephants

Quote from: Holzman on November 15, 2013, 12:16:38 PM
Quote from: elephants on November 15, 2013, 12:14:10 PM
Quote from: Holzman on November 15, 2013, 09:54:00 AM
Quote from: elephants on November 14, 2013, 05:52:14 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on November 14, 2013, 01:50:35 PM
Quote from: Mr.Craig on November 14, 2013, 12:54:07 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-13/draft-hits-and-misses
I think Freo's is very harsh. We never got to see Pitt's full potential. We've had a lot worse picks than that in our history
Lecca (37), Fletcher (28), Darling (26) all bigger 'steals' imo than Judd at 3.

Darling isn't that good.

Hahahahahahahahahaha. Let's revisit this in 10 years time.

Deal.

I said he was a steal to go that late I had him top 15 in the draft. Still Judd at 3 was much better.

Darling had been touted as a top 3 pick before a rather loose schoolies week saw clubs back off.

Holz

Quote from: Ziplock on November 15, 2013, 12:55:06 PM
I think in order to identify if a player was a steal or not you have to have a look at the quality of the players taken before them

2001:
1 Hodge
2 Ball
3 JUDD

2010:
24 Cripps
25 Karnezis
26 DARLING

Honestly, looking at  that, I'd call the current difference between darling and karnezis/ cripps wayyyyyy higher than the overall difference between judd and ball/ hodge.

That's not a fair comparison. Instead would be better to compare to other pick 3s

Hansen Martin etc..

Darling hasn't played enough to judge yet. Judd is a club champion and I would argue their best ever player. Anytime you get a club champ at pick 3 it's a steal. They do this type of stuff in the nba all the time.

Often pick 1 players are labeled best picks ever. Because think of the value of pick 1 in terms of trading for a player than compare the standard of that player to the guy picked.

Michael Jordan at pick 3 is the greatest pick in the nba.

elephants

Chris Judd the best player ever? Puh-lease. He's a great player don't get me wrong but the best player ever is a pretty significant stretch.

A player being a club champ after being selected at pick 3? Mate, thats mandatory haha.

Ringo

Simon Black at Pick 31 in the 1997 draft would be a steal in hindsight.

Top 5 picks in this draft were Travis Johnstone, Brad Ottens, Trent Croad, Mark Bolton and Luke Power.

Probably only Croad and possibly Ottens caold be close to Black.

Holz

Quote from: elephants on November 15, 2013, 01:28:06 PM
Chris Judd the best player ever? Puh-lease. He's a great player don't get me wrong but the best player ever is a pretty significant stretch.

A player being a club champ after being selected at pick 3? Mate, thats mandatory haha.

He isn't the best player ever but he is the best eagle ever.

kilbluff1985

when Rockliff wins his Brownlow then maybe he can be considered a bigger steal then Hird

i said when because i have no doubt he will one day

elephants

Quote from: Holzman on November 15, 2013, 01:31:35 PM

But you said he was the best player ever? haha. I dunno, I hate Judd so I really can't make comment on whether or not he's the best Eagle ever. One thing is for certain though, he's a dickhead.

TeeJay

Quote from: Ringo on November 15, 2013, 01:30:39 PM
Simon Black at Pick 31 in the 1997 draft would be a steal in hindsight.

Top 5 picks in this draft were Travis Johnstone, Brad Ottens, Trent Croad, Mark Bolton and Luke Power.

Probably only Croad and possibly Ottens caold be close to Black.

Power was better than both ottens and croad

TeeJay

Guys keep in mind the draft was basically a lottery a bit over 10 years ago. There were no where near the amount of scouts and tests and everything that goes into determining who gets picked and at what number as there are these days

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: Holzman on November 15, 2013, 01:18:35 PM
Quote from: Ziplock on November 15, 2013, 12:55:06 PM

2001:
1 Hodge
2 Ball
3 JUDD

2010:
24 Cripps
25 Karnezis
26 DARLING

That's not a fair comparison. Instead would be better to compare to other pick 3s

Hansen Martin etc..

Darling hasn't played enough to judge yet. Judd is a club champion and I would argue their best ever player. Anytime you get a club champ at pick 3 it's a steal. They do this type of stuff in the nba all the time.

Often pick 1 players are labeled best picks ever. Because think of the value of pick 1 in terms of trading for a player than compare the standard of that player to the guy picked.

Michael Jordan at pick 3 is the greatest pick in the nba.

Yours is hardly a fair comparison either.

You have to compare talent at the same year otherwise it's contextually invaild. Just because player X in 2003 was way better than player Y in 1990 doesn't mean anything.

Judd was taken at a pick which obviously indicated he was rated as a potential superstar, whereas Darling (among others) was taken at a pick where it was low risk but ended up being massive reward.

Joel Selwood was pick 7 and is generally considered as one of the top 3 players of the competition atm. Was it a steal? hardly considering geelong spent a top 10 pick on him

CrowsFan

Quote from: elephants on November 15, 2013, 01:34:48 PM
Quote from: Holzman on November 15, 2013, 01:31:35 PM

But you said he was the best player ever? haha. I dunno, I hate Judd so I really can't make comment on whether or not he's the best Eagle ever. One thing is for certain though, he's a dickhead.
No he didn't. He said he was their best ever player, referring to the Eagles, not the whole comp ;)