Main Menu

Worst AFL top ten draft picks opinions?

Started by jobe#4, April 19, 2013, 02:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noz

Not selecting Ollie Wines and Chad Wingard will go down as the worst moment in the Giants history as well as the AFLs

quinny88

Quote from: Noz on April 21, 2013, 10:43:04 PM
Not selecting Ollie Wines and Chad Wingard will go down as the worst moment in the Giants history as well as the AFLs

Last thing GWS need is more quality young midfielders. Melbourne are the ones that stuffed up by not getting Wines.
Mind you he probably would have turned out to be a spud if he put a Melbourne jumper on.. :-X

Anubis

Quote from: jobe#4 on April 19, 2013, 02:44:38 PM
It is quite sad when you think of how jobe watson was around pick 60 and a guy like tambling can be number 2.....

Watson was a father son selection and they only had to use a 3rd round pick on them back then.
Tambling was number 4 not number 2

silloc

I wouldn't look to much into anything before 2005, even then it wasn't great. But TAC div. has improved heaps, back in the day it was fairly hard to tell who could step up to AFL level. Also scouting and recruiting departments have improved.

but that said that guy from hawks that was same year as gibs, selwood (cbf googling)

adelaide got sloane and tippet fairly late

Noz

Quote from: silloc on April 22, 2013, 05:06:10 PM
I wouldn't look to much into anything before 2005, even then it wasn't great. But TAC div. has improved heaps, back in the day it was fairly hard to tell who could step up to AFL level. Also scouting and recruiting departments have improved.

but that said that guy from hawks that was same year as gibs, selwood (cbf googling)

Mitch Thorp?

silloc

Quote from: Noz on April 22, 2013, 08:57:17 PM
Quote from: silloc on April 22, 2013, 05:06:10 PM

Mitch Thorp?

yeah him

Justin Bieber

Quote from: ossie85 on April 19, 2013, 04:23:58 PM
How is Watts worse than a guy who only played 4 games?
Exactly! How people say he is the worst #1 pick compared to players who have played less than him, and likely haven't shown as much as he has.

There will be bound to be many that have gone top 10 and amounted to little in their AFL careers, the more recent ones who were picked over other stars would stand out more (e.g. Watts over NicNat is what makes people say he's a dud #1). He's still young, give him time fellas!

Mat0369

Watts is not in the realm of some other spuds drafted in the top 10. The fact he was drafted before Nic Nat is a huge F up. Now if there was a thread for top 10 F ups, he would be right up there in terms of value looking at the quality players taken after him.

Just to name a few, Nic Nat, Hurley, Hartlett, Yarran, Rich, Ziebell, Sidebottom, Beams, Shuey, Zaharakis, Rory Sloane, Tom Rockliff, Hannebery, Suckling, Mitch Robinson and quite a few others.

And for all those saying that Watts would succeed at another club, that is not true. He lacks drive and a competitive edge.

BB67th

Yes I agree, Watts is definitely not one of the worst picks taken up there in the top 10, but the players who come after him in the draft make him look a lot worse. If the draft was done again now, he would be a late 20s pick I think.

Holz

Quote from: its me lads on April 19, 2013, 05:07:26 PM
Too Early to make calls on Jack Watts and Vickery (although he is a spud). Watts has plenty of time to make it all worth it. From a clubs point of view Melbourne would rate Scully as the worst or biggest waste of a #1 pick.

not really they got toumpas for him and they used the mid round compo pick to get Hogan.

so picking up Toumpas and a mid first round pick at 1 is alright.

Nails

Not sure what the worst pick was... Mitchell Thorp was pretty bad...

But Tom Rockliff has to be one of the BEST

He wasn't even selected in the main draft and Lions STOLE him with 2nd last pick in the pre-season draft.

Mat0369

Quote from: Nails on May 03, 2013, 10:41:44 PM

He wasn't even selected in the main draft and Lions STOLE him with 2nd last pick in the pre-season draft.

That was just a ridiculous pick up in terms of value. Every team should be kicking themselves.

redevilfc

jobe#4

yeah sorry about the lack of names....the majority i had never heard of so i couldn't judge them on what i didn't know...but i think tambling would be up there. and yeah the further back you go the more shocking picks there are but i suppose they're getting better

Ziplock

Quote from: Nails on May 03, 2013, 10:41:44 PM

if it was pre season draft, he mightn't have been a steal?

like the lions may have seen something special in him, and said if you nominate for the PSD at X salary we'll pay it and draft you. And the other clubs were like- da flower, who's this kid, why would we pay X amount for him?