Main Menu

Worst AFL top ten draft picks opinions?

Started by jobe#4, April 19, 2013, 02:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobe#4

Who do youse reckon are the worst draft pick in the top ten?
Mine would be: ty vickery(only because he nearly killed relton roberts :( ), richard tambling, cale moreton, andrew moore and sadly the worst number 1 is jack watts. It is quite sad when you think of how jobe watson was around pick 60 and a guy like tambling can be number 2.....
Thoughts? I could only think of those guys off the top of my head :S

Chelskiman

Vickery is harsh.  Here's another Tiger dud though: Aaron Fiora.  Especially considering Matthew Pavlich went at pick four. :(

Adamant

jobe#4

I was thinking also thinking josh fraser pick 1

ossie85

Josh Fraser played 200 games, was a Grand Final ruckmen twice, and even represented Victoria.

Was he a superstar? No. But he contributed week-in, week-out. Very harsh.

Jon Hutton, 1991 #1 pick, played a grant total of 36 games for 3 different clubs.

Stephen Hooper, 1990, played 21 games.

Anthony Banik, 1989, played 49 games

But the winner would have to be RICHARD LOUNDER who played a total of 4 games.

That's just for #1 picks.

Fraser, at this point in time, is also ahead of Scully and Watts

Nicko06

Quote from: jobe#4 on April 19, 2013, 02:44:38 PM
jack watts
To this point in time i agree Watts would be the worst but i don't believe he has had the coaching or leadership around him to do anything decent.. i think a trade at the end of yr could do him a world of gd

gunnerzzz

Yeah poor old Watts. If he was drafted to Collingwood or any otheImor successful club he'd probably be a star. I still think he will come good at the Demons, but all the pressure of expectation in such a shower side is dragging him down at the moment. Imo.

ossie85

How is Watts worse than a guy who only played 4 games?

henry

Quote from: ossie85 on April 19, 2013, 04:23:58 PM

How is Watts worse than a guy who only played 4 games?
Depends how good those 4 games were lol. No in all seriousness am a big fan of watts, he is a great bloke and definitely has talent. Maybe shouldn't have been the no. 1 pick, hope he puts it all together in coming years, maybe at another club.

Mr.Craig

Laurence Angwin - Adelaide Pick 7, 2000
Damien Cupido - Brisbane Pick 6, 1999
James Cook - Carlton Pick 2, 1990
Danny Roach - Collingwood Pick 7, 1999
Daniel McAlister - Essendon Pick 5, 1996
Ryley Dunn - Fremantle Pick 10, 2003
Kane Tenace - Geelong Pick 7, 2003
Mitch Thorp - Hawthorn Pick 6, 2006
David Trotter - Nth Melbourne Pick 9, 2003
John Rombotis - Port Adelaide Pick 6, 1996
Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls - Richmond Pick 8, 2005
Stephen Simms - St Kilda Pick 2, 1986
Mark Kinnear - Sydney Pick 4, 1996
Brendan Fewster - West Coast Pick 3, 1995
Tim Walsh - Western Bulldogs Pick 4, 2002

I'm sure there's been a few worse ones but that's a fairly nightmarish list.

its me lads

Too Early to make calls on Jack Watts and Vickery (although he is a spud). Watts has plenty of time to make it all worth it. From a clubs point of view Melbourne would rate Scully as the worst or biggest waste of a #1 pick.

Mat0369

It depends on the criteria you want to judge this on. Some draft classes are weaker then others, players drafted after certain players (like Tambling and Buddy) the further back you go the more busts you find. Someone could be a complete dud but get a lot of games since they were a number 1 pick and they were in a weak side, but 20 years ago they could have gone to a good team and not broken in. Going from the year 2000 you can pick about 6 spuds from just the 2000 draft class

Livingston, McDougall, Dylan Smith, Angwin, Pettifer, Jordan McMahon. This is not counting Kosis constant under performing, Didak being pick 3, Daniel Motlop pick 8 and having Shaun Burgoyne, Daniel Kerr, Kane Cornes, Scott Thompson, Drew Petrie, Ted  Richards, Josh Hunt, Adam McPhee (was actually good for a period at the Bombers pick 39), Mark Williams (pick 43 and was a shotgun at the Hawks), Chris Newman, Daniel Cross, Dom Cassisi, Amon Buchanon (52), Corey Jones (60), Stiffy Johncock.

That does not include the rookie drafted players from that year

Darren Jolly, Robert Campbell, Leigh Harding, Roger Hayden, Damien Pevrille, Lovett-Murray (to the pies), Max Rooke, David Teague and Robert Copeland.

Some of those guys listed were not rothy of top 10 picks, but they have obviously had far better careers then some of the guys taken above them.

The criteria as it stands is to subjective.

Mat0369

Quote from: its me lads on April 19, 2013, 05:07:26 PM
Too Early to make calls on Jack Watts and Vickery (although he is a spud). Watts has plenty of time to make it all worth it. From a clubs point of view Melbourne would rate Scully as the worst or biggest waste of a #1 pick.

Best thing that happened to the Dees was him taking the cash and running.

Cicjose

quinny88

Vickery is far from a spud. He has had injury issues. His only injury free season was 2011 and he kicked 35 goals.