Ruck Department

Started by Torress, March 01, 2010, 08:55:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torress

Gday,
            rucks is a position where i have probably neglected a bit in the past - had cox every year ive played SC so i haven't neglected too bad.
last year i had spencer, browne from tigers on bench and when cox was down i had few trades remaining and it (and im gueesing for many others) stuffed me to have no backup whilst i waited on the fate of cox.
so im wondering if ppl are going to roll the dice with say a trengrove/lobbe/t. west/currie or something like that combo? or use a bit of cash to have an ok backup?? it sucks because the obvious one was going to be warnock from the blues but he isn't shaping up too well. atm i've placed big jamie charman as my 3rd ruck solely for backup - he is looking alot fitter and is a premiership ruckmen 159k doesn't break the budget either - what are others doing? im not going to neglect this position because i feel it has hurt me at some stage every season i've played SC - u don't want to during a season make a trade just for a couple of weeks cos one of ur top 2 rucks are down - it seems like a waste at the time

Prospector_1

I'm a set and forget. Get what you reckon are the two best, most durable, highest scoring, and buy two no hopers for the bench. If a ruck goes down, trade immediately for the next best you can get.

Many say this, few do it - I tried to make some money on the bench last year. It was a waste of trades. Rucks just don't make enough $$$.

West Coast Fanatics

Same with me. This year i think i have Cox with McIntosh, what I had last year.

Master Q

I think you could spare some cash around the ground with a few little downgrades, to get a cheap ruckmen who will play or at least most of the time (eg warnock) and then the second ruck bench, real cheap but atleast a chance of playing (eg spencer, jacobs last year). hope it helps ;)

Torress

yea set and forget is a good move - def going with sandi from the start not quite sure on my 2nd ruck yet.
can't imagine not picking cox, but is charman at 159k too much for cover????
im all for cost effective prems, and have no rookies starting except for the mids

Prospector_1

Don't need cover. Get 2 of the best, and any injury means immediate trade.

Cruiseon

A different look might be to take advantage of the multi position angle.

If you pick Tippet, Petrie or Lance (sorry Kruezer) in your forward line, then you have some solid cover. Petrie is the one I'm thinking of, although as I type he is not in my side.

Torress

okay that is a fair point because lobbe is eligble in the fwd line!
that could be a good move actually.. i haven't been creating a side with multi positions in mind but this seems to solve my issues for covering the 1st or 2nd ruck if out fpr a few weeks..
think i'll go with that one - like petrie but is suspended for 1st 3 rounds - tippet looks a good pick for use in multi position with lobbe for cover if need be!
prospectus im def locking in 2 solid rucks now and cruiseon that was the best peice of advice or idea i have recieved from this website thank you very much!!!! ;D ;D

Cruiseon

No problem Toress.

Whilst you are receiving advice, Petrie is only out for two games. I think he will do considerably better than Tippet and is worth considering. That said Tippet ahs been in and out of my side.

As for Lobbe, I'm starting to look elsewhere. The NAB form has been average at best.

Torress

i agree i like petrie alot more than tippet, 2 games huh??? big call esp if u want buddy franklin as well!!
true about lobbe got a flogging - don't know if he has the tools but does hold the multi position capability.. emg rucks are painful to think about

Prospector_1

Quote from: Torress on March 02, 2010, 08:25:15 AM
emg rucks are painful to think about

Then don't have any.

Torress

yep i am with ya now prospector not gonna worry - i'll run petrie and lobbe im content with that now

Sams-Town

Anyone backing Jolly this year?

Torress

my mate is excited about jolly! but he has him every year anyway.. i don't know i've got sandi/Hmac but want Sandi/cox
he'll prob go well and will prob want to perform to please the filth - don't know why lol   na pies are a good side and well coached he'll be used to advantage will be a solid pick

Sams-Town

Someone put a list up showing Jollys stats when he was with the swans. He seems to really not play well at the SCG even when they compared the lower end teams and his scores against them at the SCG and not at the SCG it clearly showed he does really well anywhere but there.His non SCG scores against all kinds of teams were huge when not at SCG. It was very interesting. Now he is at collingwood he will have maybe one game there at worst.