Started by KoopKicka, April 15, 2013, 09:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elephants

Quote from: quinny88 on June 11, 2013, 09:04:48 PM
Quote from: elephants on June 11, 2013, 05:52:14 PM
Quote from: quinny88 on June 11, 2013, 05:37:55 PM
Quote from: elephants on June 10, 2013, 10:58:56 PM
Quote from: Spinking on June 10, 2013, 10:45:58 PM
Reckon Stevie Milne could get a guernsey as most under rated.

I'm not a fan of Milney, and I think he isn't rated by many because he is a pest and does some genuinely stupid things at times. Having said that 600 odd goals has him up there with the best small forwards going around, and he can definitely turn a game.

Have to agree here, he was amazing on the weekend. So creative and dangerous forward of center!

I dont think Milne is underrated. He is a 2 time All Australian and has won the St.kilda goalkicking multiple times. He is also regularly mentioned in debates about who is the best small forward ever to play. He will be a st.kilda and AFL hall of famer after he retires so he is hated yes but not underrated haha

You can still be underrated and lead the goal kicking :P Goal kicking simply means you kick the most goals and doesn't come down to opinion at all.

I've thought about this a fair bit and I actually am not sure he is hugely under-rated. I think he is a bit under-rated (ie, he is a better player than people give him credit for) but there are more who are better that get less attention.

haha I know but my point was that he has trophies in the cabinet so its not as if he hasnt been recognised for anything like alot of small forwards. Every time he plays a good game he gets mentioned along with the games great small forwards so certainly not underrated. Star of the game

Well yeah, I rate him. I also hate him :P Is he under-rated? Hard to say. He's certainly not over-rated.

Over in WA we get a lot less exposure to guys like Milne who aren't from a WA club or Pies/Bombers/Tigers/Blues. Hence, I feel I can make an argument for him not getting the praise he deserves.

Different depending what kind of media you're subject to though I reckon. If you're a Vic you'd probably get a bit about him.

Scrads

Obviously some Hawks bias here, but I honestly think Cyril Rioli is underrated, mainly because everyone seems to think he is overrated. A lot of people just assume that the flashy stuff the gets on the highlights reels are just once or twice a game things when in reality, he puts on big and influential efforts in games time after time.

Ricochet

Interesting article from the AFL website. Some I agree with, some I don't

ADELAIDE
Andy Otten

BRISBANE LIONS
Mitch Golby

CARLTON
Dennis Armfield

COLLINGWOOD
Tyson Goldsack

ESSENDON
Brent Stanton

FREMANTLE
Chris Mayne

GEELONG
James Kelly

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
Adam Tomlinson

GOLD COAST
Matt Shaw

HAWTHORN
Ben Stratton

MELBOURNE
Colin Garland

NORTH MELBOURNE
Scott McMahon

PORT ADELAIDE
Dom Cassisi

RICHMOND
Shane Edwards

ST KILDA
Dylan Roberton

SYDNEY SWANS
Luke Parker

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Ryan Griffen

WEST COAST
Darren Glass

henry

Haha was just about to say Stratton. He has improved a lot and is fast becoming one of my favourite players. Not sure about Stanton kn that list, still shut down too easily for me.

stew42

Ricochet

Windigo

The most underrated player's are the ones that don't even get a mention in the underrated players article.

LF

Quote from: Ricochet on June 26, 2013, 10:04:28 AM
Interesting article from the AFL website. Some I agree with, some I don't

ADELAIDE
Andy Otten

BRISBANE LIONS
Mitch Golby

CARLTON
Dennis Armfield

COLLINGWOOD
Tyson Goldsack

ESSENDON
Brent Stanton

FREMANTLE
Chris Mayne

GEELONG
James Kelly

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
Adam Tomlinson

GOLD COAST
Matt Shaw

HAWTHORN
Ben Stratton

MELBOURNE
Colin Garland

NORTH MELBOURNE
Scott McMahon

PORT ADELAIDE
Dom Cassisi

RICHMOND
Shane Edwards

ST KILDA
Dylan Roberton

SYDNEY SWANS
Luke Parker

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Ryan Griffen

WEST COAST
Darren Glass

I agree with a few like Mayne and Stratton but seriously how did Glass make the list he is not an underrated player.

My pick from the Eagles based on  this year would be Masten he has been in ripping form but gets overshadowed by players like Coxy,Scooter,Nic Nat,Shuey etc.

Ricochet

Not if everyone else doesn't rate them  :P

Mat0369

I think the reason Glass and Kelly are on that list is because when people talk about the 'stars' of the club they never get mentioned. Glass is the captain and one of the best FB's in the AFL but people will still mention for example Kerr ahead of him.

I would give Dennis Armfield a lot of crap as a Carlton supporter. I didn't think he was in our best 22 and belonged in the VFL. He turned the ball over every time he touched it and constantly made really stupid mistakes, tried to take guys on and got caught holding the ball. Last year he really turned a corner and became a really effective defensive forward. He is a role player in the team, but he plays that role really well and it is one of the reasons I won't be getting Malceski this week into my SC team. He rightfully belongs on that list. So does Matt Shaw, I have watched quite a few GC games this year and he has been excellent in every one of them.

There should be an overrated thread, I am sure we can think of a lot of those

Master Q

Hurley and Dangerfield lead the most overrated  :P

Jay

Mat0369

specky92

As a dons supporter I'd say some underrated players are Howlett, continually have the most tackles every game, Winderlich, I think people underrate him because of his terrible run with injuries, I still think Carlisle is underrated, that kid is amazing. Baguley lately has been awesome for us and I think people consider him as a fringe best 22.

Jake Stringer from Bulldogs I think it underrated because he's at a smaller club, but he's strong, athletic and near perfect goal kicking accuracy.

I also think Shane Edwards is underrated as people have pointed out.

Master Q