Main Menu

Most Underrated player in the game?

Started by KoopKicka, April 15, 2013, 09:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KoopKicka

Whos the most underrated player in the game?

While the obvious names of Kade Simpson and Shane Tuck come to mind, both are in the twilight of their careers and a lot of their underrativeness (not a word) comes down to a lot of DreamTeam points.

While those are the two obvious ones, there are a few others who come to mind.

Phil Davis

Q is right, Im a flowering idiot

Eric MacKenzie

One of the best CHBs in the game. Time and time again, renowned for blanketing Cloke in his first season, does pivotal jobs on dangerous forwards and isnt given much of the credit. Will be an AA CHB.

David Armitage

A conteted possesion king. Plain and simple, doesnt get talked about at the moment behind Dal Santo, Montagna, Hayes, Steven etc. But if he continues to play the way he has this season. Its highly unlikely he will be underrated for much longer.

Liam Picken

Along with Kane Cornes he is the only guy that can win his own ball as well as tag the best completely out of the game.Has been the number one Doggies tagger for quite a number of years but is rarely mentioned. Can play a lockdown role anywhere all over the ground. As highlighted by a brilliant job on a HBF on Zorko in round 1. With the arrival of Lower Picken will continue to rarely be mentioned.

Allen Christensen

Has the ability to turn a game on its head in less than a quarter and still doesnt get credited when he does so, got 12 possessions in a quarter after starting as the sub against Sydney, for 51 DT points and was the main reason Geelong were so close, until that famous Andrejis Everitt goal. With Geelongs premiership-winning midfield bridage coming to an end. Should form a deadly midfield tag team with Mitch Duncan in the future.

Matthew Broadbent

My pick for the most underrated player in the game, along with Ebert, Carlile, Schulz and Kornes he was the main reason Port didnt finish bottom. Will never score highly in DreamTeam but he is one of the games best playmakers, just makes things happen all the time for the Power. To see his consistent leads into the forward 50 last year being ignored even when he was in bucketloads of space was cringeworthy. Even know, he is still on the improve and should get better and better, is a tough on-baller as well. And although I dont think it will happen, could become a very DT relevant option in the years to come. Isnt talked about in the resurgence of Port after Boak, Ebert,Kornes,Wines etc but is still a vewry pivotal part of the side. IMO, the most underrated player in the game. Regardless of whether I am a Port supporter. the 7 commentators agree with me. ;)

Lachlan Hendersen

The Carlton looked very shaky without this guy last year for some parts. The stats dont show much, but he is one of the best DEF/FWD KPP's in the game. While primarily used as a lockdown defender in defence, he can go forward and kick 2 or 3 if none of Carltons forwards falter (not that hard with Waite the only key forward, and even thats pushing it.) He is only 23 and should become a better player than he already is. Is rarely ever talked about. But he is pivotal to Carltons setup. Especially in defence.

Honourable Mentions (cbf writeups): Richard Douglas,  Jay Schulz, Tom Jonas, Brad Sewell, Mitch Duncan, Scott D Thompson, Daniel Jackson, Ben McGlynn, Jarryd Blair

So in your opinion, who is the most underrated player in the AFL?

JBs-Hawks

How on earth is Hurley on your most underrated list? He'd be on my most overrated list haha.

KoopKicka

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on April 15, 2013, 09:49:06 PM
How on earth is Hurley on your most underrated list? He'd be on my most overrated list haha.

what chu talkin bout? ;)

Fireballz

The best player by far on that list is Brad Sewell. Not sure how highly he's perceived to be rated, but he's a very good and very important player for the hawks.

PowerBug

Leader of the King Karl Amon fan club
Coach of WXV side Rio De Janeiro Jaguars
2023 SC: Rank 126

tbagrocks

T Dog

valkorum

SydneyRox

Ted Richards - By a god damn mile!!  ;D

Ziplock

one issue, broughton moved to gc, not gws :P

davis actually lost defensive support this year with cornes' injury :'(

BB67th

Richard Douglas by far. Very, very few people in Victoria have ever heard of him, but after winning the B & F a few years back, has been an extremely solid contributor and is still a very good Crows midfielder. Overshadowed by Thompson, Sloane and Dangerfield, but is still an integral part of their engine room.

Holz

Josh Kennedy was the most underrated player in the comp (not anymore) it amazed me how the kid hasnt been considered an elite for the last 3-4 years.

was always right up the top of the contested possession and clearance statistics, I had him top 10 for years.

Ryan Crowley for me an unbelievable tagger and if he take someone like ablett out of a game regularly than he has as much value as the superstars of the comp. The fact he plays for a WA team adds to it, with the Eastern State bias. 

Nige

Big fan of Brad Sewell, David Armitage and Richard Douglas.

Funnily enough, they're all in my Worlds team...

But yeah. We hear about Buddy, Sam Mitchell and others from the Hawks, but I don't think Sewell gets enough recognition.

Armitage is a great player who is really good and will be a star for years to come. Again, we hear about guys like NRoo, Kosi, Milne and Lenny, but as one of the younger guys, Armitage doesn't get too much of the spotlight.

Like BB said, Douglas is important to the Crows but doesn't get as much credit for his work as Tex, Thommo, Danger and Sloaney do.

Anubis

Sam Mitchell is the 4th best player in the game, yet rarely gets mentioned as one of the truly elite players.

BB67th

Quote from: Anubis on April 17, 2013, 01:17:49 AM
Sam Mitchell is the 4th best player in the game, yet rarely gets mentioned as one of the truly elite players.
I must admit he always surprises me when he gets a top 3 placing in the Brownlow Medal for the last few years. He is a quality player.