WXV Round 4 - Pumas look to set record, Royals/Suns in blockbuster.

Started by ossie85, April 13, 2013, 03:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

Round 4
(AFL Round 4)

Wellington Warriors       v       Cape Town Cobras       The Basin Reserve
Buenos Aires Armadillos       v       Toronto Wolves       Estadio de River
Moscow Spetsnaz       v       Sao Paulo Pumas       Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow
Berlin Brewers       v       Pacific Islanders       Olympic Stadium, Berlin
London Royals       v       Mexico City Suns       Wembley
Seoul Magpies       v       New York Revolution       Seoul World Cup Stadium
New Delhi Tigers       v       Paris Nice Lyon Reindeers       Tata Stadium, New Delhi
Cairo Sands       v       Dublin Destroyers       Borg El Arab Stadium, Alexandria, Egypt
Beijing Bears       v       Tokyo Samurai       Beijing Olympic Park

Highlights:
The corresponding round last year (Round 11) had 7 matches decided by 10 points or less, and 6 of last year's 8 finalists face-off against each other.

Cape Town will look to push for the top 4 and boost percentage against the Warriors.

Toronto meet Buenos Aires for the 3rd time, after the Armadillos defeated the Wolves in the Semi Finals. Buenos Aires were upset last round, and Toronto were very impressive. Both teams sitting at 2-1 and 5th and 6th on the ladder, and this looks to be an 8 point match. The loss of Ryder hurts the Wolves, while Buenos Aires are counting down the days for the return of Matthew Boyd and Brent Harvey. Armadillos in a tight one.

Fresh off upsetting one premiership favourite, the Spetsnaz host Sao Paulo and hope to do the same again! History is on there side, being the only team that Sao Paulo has not defeated. If the Pumas win, they'll become the first team to defeat every other team at least once (Mexico City has not defeated Toronto). I'll back an Ablett return to his best and the Pumas to take the record.

Berlin v Pacific. If either team is to push for the top 8, this game is crucial. Both sitting tentatively at 1-2 at 10th and 13th. Both have been inconsistent, with Berlin pushing the Pumas all the way but falling badly against the Cobras. While the Islanders had a stirring victory over Tokyo, but were not competitive against New York or London. Berlin has the team on paper to win this, but can they hold there nerve?

Mexico City's form has them undefeated, being very strong in each of its three rounds. This wasn't unexpected from the reigning premiers. What was unexpected was the strong form of the also undefeated 2nd placed London Royals! An unsung midfield of McVeigh, Hannebery and Stanton has given this team an edge so far this season, and a victory here will have them talking finals. BUT I think the Suns depth of talent is too strong, with Adam Goodes playing in the twos last week!

New York travel to Seoul, looking to go to 4-0 and maintain its top 4 spot. Seoul have won just the one match, but last week's performance would have been good enough to topple the Revolution last week. I'm tipping Seoul to break New York's undefeated run.

PNL will get a win on the board this week against the hapless Tigers.

Cairo, who sit 7th on points but 12th on the ladder, are desparately missing Dayne Beams. But they are on a high, having defeated PNL last week! Dublin also won last week, but hasn't quite shown the potential we know this young squad has. Season defining for both teams, and I'll back Cairo at home.

Tokyo will find themselves in the eight at the end of this round, while Beijing's season gets worse with the loss of its best player Matt Kreuzer to injury.

CrowsFan

Would have thought the highlight from this round was this was the only home and away game I lost all season. Moscow the only team I haven't beaten so looking for some revenge this round!

Ringo

Maybe if you get a chance sticky the next weeks thread so it is on the front.

Nige

Finally Cairo's fans won't have to get on a plane. We're coming home! Nothing like a little HGA.  :D

Nige

Cairo Sands Round 4 Team Sheet

DEF: P.Hanley, B.Goodes, N.Malceski, C.Newman
MID: D.Armitage, N.Dal Santo, S.Grigg, R.Douglas
RUC: S.Mumford
FWD: D.Hale, L.Breust, J.Petrenko, L.Thomas
UTI: M.Rischitelli, C.Pearce

EMG: L.Stevenson, J.Gibson, T.Dickson

Captain: P.Hanley
Vice Captain: D.Armitage

*Subject to change

AFEV

I G Birchall (c)
II C Dempsey
III D Heppell
IV S Fisher
V T Liberatore
VI A Gaff
VII H Bennell
VIII T Greene
IX J Giles
X T Cloke (vc)
XI J Jenkins
XII A Christensen
XIII A Siposs
XIV M Pyke
XV K Stevens

EMERGENCIES

T Lee
J Macrae
W Schofield

Hoping Kommer/Prestia play but not expecting it.

Purple 77

DazBurg

PNL

DEF: Harbrow, Mcpharlin, Grundy, Myers
MIDS: Priddis(C), Jones, Rich, Simpson
RUCK: Griffin
FWDS: Pavlich,  Rioli(VC), Westhoff, Jones
INTER: Wingard, Shiel
EMERG: Davis , Lower, Maister

In: L.Jones
Out: Patton(Knee)

*subject to change

Jukes

Moscow Spetsnaz

D: Shaw, Clarke, Dixon, Frawley
M: Treloar, Griffen, Ward (c), Fyfe (vc)
R: Sinclair
F: Martin, Monfries, Darling, Walters
Int: Tuck, Vickery

EMG: Adams, Seedsman, Thomas.

Maca24

Great work Ossie! Good read, hard game ahead (:

Mexico City Suns:

Def: B.Goddard, C.Enright, S.Hurn, J.Adcock.
Mids: S.Sidebottom, S.Thompson (VC), B.Ebert, B.Moloney.
Rucks: I.Maric (C).
Frwds: J.Bartel, N.Riewoldt, J.Lewis, S.Crameri.
Bench: L.Hodge, M.Lecras.
Emg: A.Goodes, D.Merrett, M.Blicavs.

No changes at all, even the emergencies are the same!
Inspiring stuff last week, with Hodge, Moloney, Maric and NRoo fantastic.
Sidebottom had an uncharacteristic shocker, and needs to bounce back.

ossie85

Right, just sent my weekly reminder email.... Looks like tbagrocks and JBs-Hawks are banned. What did I miss?

Holz

I think I can take out the sands this week, looking like i will have my strongest ever team out on the park.

Backs:  A.Rance, S.Atley, S.Docherty , R.Schoenmakers
Mids: J.Selwood (VC), D. Mundy, T.Boak (C), J.Redden,
Ruck: T.Goldstein
Fwds: R.Gray, M.Clark, M.Hurley, J.Watts
Interchange: J.Anderson, J. O'meara

Emg: B.Hill, L.Plowman , J.Green

Jelwood has lost captaincy after his poor showing, Boak has been killing it with a 122 average and the clear best player for dublin (thanks nails) will get a shot this week to be captain.

Anderson was a star in the reserves and replaces the injured NVB.

Robbie Gray looks finally ready to make his debut and could be a big inclusion to push dublin up the ladder. 

Redden and Goldy are reading to put in big peformances against their old club.

starting to regret dropping my solid backman as atley docherty plowman schoene arent stepping up and watts (terrible).
Will Sierakowski could push out one of them with solid numbers in the reserves.

CrowsFan

Hill the only casualty from a strong showing last week against the Brewers, with Wallis forcing himself back in to the side. Sweating on the fitness of Waters after he was a late withdrawal last week, but if he can't get up my defense is very strong anyway :)

kilbluff1985

Tokyo  Samurai

Def: J. Carlisle, T. Richards, N. Suban, A. Kennedy
Mids: K. Jack (C), C. Judd(VC), L. Shuey, S. Selwood
Rucks: S. Hampson
Utilities: S. Mitchell, L. Parker
Forwards: L. Jetta, L. Dahlhaus, A. Fasolo, B. McGlynn

Emergencies: S. Motlop, R. Henderson, T. West

FisherSaints

Defenders: Martin Mattner, Nick Duigan, Jordan Murdoch, Nick Vlastuin

Midfielders: Leigh Montagna, Aaron Mullett, Ryan Bastinac, Jake Melksham

Ruck: Max Bailey

Forwards: Jarryd Blair, James Podsiadly, Terry Milera, Daniel Giansiracusa

Interchange: George Horlin-Smith, Sam Reid ( GWS)

Emergencies: Dylan Buckley, Lewis Roberts-Thompson, Ian Callinan

Captain: Leigh Montagna

Vice-Captain: Jarryd Blair