Main Menu

Midfield letting demons down

Started by the flying hawk, April 08, 2013, 02:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the flying hawk

After watching the demons against the bombers i think the mid needs real work especialy in the clearences they got absolutely smashed in that stat in both games. I think to put rodan in there to help out no he isn't consistent but he is a bigger body and quick and strong, even give watts a go i am sick of hearing that he is shower i think he could make a difference, even byrnes could be put in their his speed and experience. Dawes when he recovers replaces sellar in my opinion i think sellar is a bit of a spud.

BB67th

Their midfield definitely is letting them down, but their forward and defence lines are doing crap as well anyway.

nrich102

As BB said, it's the whole team. Sack em all. Coach as well.

quinny88

They dont have the cattle though Hawk. Throwing in guys that arent midfielders is only going to get ugly. They are going to have to just bide their time until the end of the season and keep drafting guys in the hope they will develop into elite midfielders. Could probably look at getting a big name from somewhere as well. If they are willing to pay half a million for Dawes then surely they can splash out on a gun mid

Nige

Quote from: quinny88 on April 08, 2013, 04:20:30 PM
They dont have the cattle though Hawk. Throwing in guys that arent midfielders is only going to get ugly. They are going to have to just bide their time until the end of the season and keep drafting guys in the hope they will develop into elite midfielders. Could probably look at getting a big name from somewhere as well. If they are willing to pay half a million for Dawes then surely they can splash out on a gun mid

It's a good plan on paper, but would a gun mid be willing to join this rabble? I guess we've seen what money can do, so it's possible... With that said, we saw that recruiting players like Rodan, Gillies and Pedersen to name a few hasn't really worked for them. Could be quite an interesting free agency/trade period come the end of 2013.

quinny88

Quote from: NigeyS on April 08, 2013, 04:44:22 PM
Quote from: quinny88 on April 08, 2013, 04:20:30 PM

It's a good plan on paper, but would a gun mid be willing to join this rabble? I guess we've seen what money can do, so it's possible... With that said, we saw that recruiting players like Rodan, Gillies and Pedersen to name a few hasn't really worked for them. Could be quite an interesting free agency/trade period come the end of 2013.

i dont know what their salary cap is looking like but there must be some room? If they could throw close to a mill at a big name surely someone would take the bait?
Yeah their recruiting was terrible and i said that right from the start despite everyone disagreeing with me. Whoever is in charge of the recruiting at Melbourne needs the sack asap.
Its only 2 rounds in I know but i would be moving Byrnes and Rodan on at the end of the season and developing kids.

They could always beg for Moloney, Scotty Thompson and Brock Mclean to come back?

Big Mac

Dawes was a big waste of money in my eyes. If we can't get the ball to him, why spend the money? We need a gun midfielder who the kids can look up to and try to mirror. Then they'll know what they have to do to be the best. Besides, we already have Clark...

quinny88

Quote from: Big  Mac on April 08, 2013, 06:51:55 PM
Dawes was a big waste of money in my eyes. If we can't get the ball to him, why spend the money? We need a gun midfielder who the kids can look up to and try to mirror. Then they'll know what they have to do to be the best. Besides, we already have Clark...

Couldnt agree more..
Any good mids coming out of contract?

Nige

Quote from: quinny88 on April 08, 2013, 07:31:56 PM
Quote from: Big  Mac on April 08, 2013, 06:51:55 PM

Couldnt agree more..
Any good mids coming out of contract?

Daisy Thomas? A few older mids are I think, but not sure whether short term gain will work. And besides, you'd think they would want to finish off their final few years at the club they're at.

tbagrocks

MTTY

My thoughts?

A serious overhaul of the midfield needs to happen.

Look at the State Leagues that have produced so many mature aged recruits recently, and stock up on them. At least they will have the desire to play.

Imagine having a midfield at the Dees of:

C: Mitchell, Gibson, Mzungu

R: / , Barlow, Zorko

We need to work hard on scouting these types into our team for 2014

the flying hawk

They are a young midfield but they lack the will to win can't blame the fact they have lost so much. dawes isn't a waste of money he is very usefull can kick a bag a key to melbourne winning. Maybe magner needs to be promoted when there is a spot on senior list and used as a offensive player.

Ziplock

Vinny

Quote from: Ziplock on August 19, 2013, 07:33:04 PM
http://thepricklyperch.com/blog/melbourne-teammates-dont-understand-why-nathan-jones-tries-so-hard/

I think the issue is that jones is trying too hard and making everyone feel bad.

HAHAHA that's a pretty funny article.

At the bottom - " For more 100% legitimate news.." ;D

Nathan Jones is a good player at a shower club.

Nige

Yeah, Jones is a pretty good player, it's a pity he seems to be one of the only ones who genuinely tries week in, week out.