The Duffman... time to pull the trigger?

Started by Adamant, April 07, 2013, 12:15:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Duffield, hold or trade?

Hold, he'll come good.
10 (41.7%)
Trade to Heppell/Birchall.
14 (58.3%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Adamant

Duffield has started the year with a 67 & 75 - not good enough.

Should I cut my losses and get rid of him now before Heppell sky rockets in price, or hold and hope he comes good?

Would like to keep as I still believe he'll be a top 10 defender and is ready for a big one, but on the otherhand, Heppell has just smashed out a huge 147 (although against a very poor side) and is set to rise in price fast. He's also a very popular pick, which isn't good if he keeps smashing it and I don't have him...

Thoughts? :-\

Jukes

Bet you're regretting not listening to me and going Dys over Duff ::)

Adamant

Quote from: Jukes on April 07, 2013, 12:18:09 AM

Bet you regret starting the overrated and overhyped mid-priced forwards in Harper & Karnezis. :P ;)

But yeah, I do regret this atm. Never thought Heppell would get close to your predicted average of 95 with his low ceiling. His 147 has just proven me wrong. :P But still, there were only 4 Bombers who didn't score 70+ tonight, along with 8 tons. :o Wasn't really hard to score well.

Jukes

Bet you regret not getting Stanton and instead getting Spudlett ::)

Checkmate.

Adamant

Pffft, let's see who finishes with a higher average by seasons end.

Remember the thread you made on Stanton last year after he was averaging 133 in the first 6 weeks or so? Don't get ahead of yourself.

turry17

I reckon cut your losses, Duffield will loose cash and Heppell will make it so if you want to make the trade will have to this week

Jukes

Duffield 107 BE
Heppell 33 BE

Would defs make the jump to gain the cash

hardnut

If everything else is sweet it's a worthwhile trade but with the new trading system it just about getting the best bang for tarde each week. Duff back at Paterson next week, I know he scored very well there under Harvey.

Ziplock

dont even bother thinking about cash if you think duffman will be a keeper- remember, you picked him for a reason.

Me, I'm dropping him.

I didn't pick him for a reason, I picked him for a place holder while I figured out who I wanted in that position... then I flowered up with the R1 lockout.

:P

powersuperkents

Quote from: Jukes on April 07, 2013, 12:18:09 AM
Last week I regretted listening to your Heppell > Birchall advice. After tonight I can't thank you more ;D

As for Duffield if you think he's good and you choose him as a keeper the cash should be the last thing on your mind :) In the end do you believe Duff will deliver? and so far has he performed the way you expected (realistically) this week I almost dumped Heppell to Birchall.. Luckily I didn't, I still don't believe it is wise to trade chosen premo's after a few games that why we get stuck with duds or trade them in. It is rare to make a blind trade based off 2 or 3 games and for it to work out. I know from personal experience :) that's why I'm not touching my premo's at all this season the only trades I'll be doing are sideways, downgrading and upgrading rookies to either other rooks or additional premo's 

Adamant

Cheers for all the responses. Despite the one-sided poll results, I have decided to keep Duff.

My team is looking pretty good at the moment and I don't have any real concerns. I still think he'll be a top 10 defender, so will hold him and hopefully he can fire in the next couple of weeks.

Worst comes to worst, Duff is averaging 70ish over the next month, I'll just find a spare 30k and trade him to Birch (who I rate above Heppell anyway).

essendon2

Hmm I'd go to Heppell - aggressive trading.
44 trades this year, you want your team to increase in value as much as possible!

Think about it, Heppell scored 147 last night... More than Duffield's two scores added together :o

powersuperkents

Quote from: essendon2 on April 07, 2013, 10:36:23 AM
Hmm I'd go to Heppell - aggressive trading.
44 trades this year, you want your team to increase in value as much as possible!

Think about it, Heppell scored 147 last night... More than Duffield's two scores added together :o
It doesn't mean he'll score that again though. He's already missed Heppell's realistically biggest score and Essendon smashed Demons. Freo has had to tight matches and what if Heppell scores a 60 next game and the Duffman reaches a 130 and he misses that ceiling. If the players a keeper the money doesn't even matter. I'm keeping plenty of players with 100+ breakevens including Zorko because I picked them to play out the season not to have a big team value. Adamant should be following a team prospect based on his thoughts of the entire season and not based off a single/first two round/s. Seriously with that sense of logic why not trade Zorko to Westhoff because Westhoff has scored more in one match than Zorko has in both (not justifiable) stand by your premiums if you believed in them enough to pick them up  in the first place (and your an intelligent dreamteamer) they will deliver (unless your expectations were unrealistic e.g people who picked JPK and said "WTF why isn't he scoring 150 every week" or the people who picked Dangerfield knowing that he is a POD (JPK is a POD as well) and said "51!!! 51!!! I was expecting 120 from him week in, week out", such idiots to make a choice based on imagination and then have a sook after reality kicks in (not aimed at people who picked JPK and Dangerfield in general, rather aimed at the people who picked them expecting unrealistic scores week in, week out and then complained about their selection and traded them out first round (seriously what credibility does someone like that have, they don't even trust their premo's so why should anyone trust their dt advice).

Plus where the money does matter (rooks) there is already trouble. I'm dropping Karny and Kane Mitchell this week because they are set to lose value. Don't worry about money with premiums when there is money to be lost with rookies because unlike premiums rookies are the dream teamer's source of income

henry

Exactly, I'd advise against chasing one big score, as it was against the worst team in the comp. He has freo(72 av) st kilda (78 av) coming up, so if you want him as a keeper and aren't concerned about the cash drop  I'd keep duff, you can always get heppell as an upgrade target.

powersuperkents

Quote from: henry on April 07, 2013, 01:07:20 PM
Exactly, I'd advise against chasing one big score, as it was against the worst team in the comp. He has freo(72 av) st kilda (78 av) coming up, so if you want him as a keeper and aren't concerned about the cash drop  I'd keep duff, you can always get heppell as an upgrade target.
+1

Couldn't agree more :)