Main Menu

Neeld Taking the Demons Backwards?

Started by BB67th, April 04, 2013, 06:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mac

People say that our recruiting was bad. But it wasn't, we drafted a lot of high quality players, but we just couldn't develop them. People often point out that we could have gotten Natanui instead of Watts, but i'd be willing to be a lot of money that Natanui wouldn't be nearly as good as he is today, if he went to Melbourne.

AFEV

Quote from: Big  Mac on April 07, 2013, 04:31:35 PM
People say that our recruiting was bad. But it wasn't, we drafted a lot of high quality players, but we just couldn't develop them. People often point out that we could have gotten Natanui instead of Watts, but i'd be willing to be a lot of money that Natanui wouldn't be nearly as good as he is today, if he went to Melbourne.
Adding to this, I'd bet that if Jack Watts doesn't play for Melbourne next year he will be a lot better.

Torpedo10

Quote from: Sid on April 07, 2013, 05:25:15 PM
Adding to this, I'd bet that if Jack Watts doesn't play for Melbourne next year he will be a lot better.
If he hadn't been at Melbourne in the first place would be a great player and would've developed better.

BB67th

Quote from: Torpedo10 on April 07, 2013, 05:35:14 PM
Quote from: Sid on April 07, 2013, 05:25:15 PM
If he hadn't been at Melbourne in the first place would be a great player and would've developed better.
This point on players not reaching their full potential at the Demons is a real valid one I think. Again, I believe it all comes back to this culture in Melbourne that just isn't up to scratch. They need a good new coach like Paul Roos to start to turn it around. Neeld is a good strategic coach, but he just doesn't have the skills needed to turn this group of players into true professionals, which they are not now.

Toga

Just saying, I'm not sure Roos would come and coach the Dees... Think he was pretty firm in wanting to stay out of coaching iirc?

BB67th

Quote from: Toga on April 07, 2013, 08:49:06 PM
Just saying, I'm not sure Roos would come and coach the Dees... Think he was pretty firm in wanting to stay out of coaching iirc?
Yeah I think he has distanced himself from coaching, but who knows, so did Malthouse. But they need a coach with experience and someone who knows how to run a tight ship. Lethal would also make a great coach there.

Tominator

I'm gonna call it now....

Not saying it should happen, but I think that Neil Craig will take over before season's end.

Dudge

Quote from: Tominator on April 08, 2013, 12:15:40 AM
I'm gonna call it now....

Not saying it should happen, but I think that Neil Craig will take over before season's end.

I agree Tom, i can see that as a real possibility

Nige

#BringBackBailey  :P

I still don't think this is Neeld's fault. Yes, the coach should be doing his job in making sure the players are fully prepared and all that, but at the same time, there really is only so much the coach can do...

The team has like 3 players playing that game against Essendon - Howe, Nathan Jones and Viney who was pretty much playing injured. I know you can't sack half the list, the merge isn't gonna happen and it's not Neeld's fault.

Basically, the way I see it, there's no quick fix and dumping the coach even if they do lose against the Giants in Round 4, will only set them back further.

That probably didn't make any sense...  ::) :P  :-X

Big Mac

Quote from: NigeyS on April 08, 2013, 10:50:47 AM

I still don't think this is Neeld's fault. Yes, the coach should be doing his job in making sure the players are fully prepared and all that, but at the same time, there really is only so much the coach can do...

The team has like 3 players playing that game against Essendon - Howe, Nathan Jones and Viney who was pretty much playing injured. I know you can't sack half the list, the merge isn't gonna happen and it's not Neeld's fault.

Basically, the way I see it, there's no quick fix and dumping the coach even if they do lose against the Giants in Round 4, will only set them back further.

I might add that Frawley played well too - he took some strong marks that probably saved us a few goals. But relating to your idea about not dumping the coach, what other choice do we have? Neeld is clearly unable to motivate the players and get them to start playing at AFL standard.

Master Q

Lure Buddy at end of season -> Trade Forward for Mid --> Problems solved

AFEV

Quote from: Master Q on April 08, 2013, 08:38:42 PM
Lure Buddy at end of season -> Trade Forward for Mid --> Problems solved
Fremantle/West Coast are going to have a hard time poaching him and they have money, success and a move home to offer. Although as I am typing this I feel you were joking...maybe. :-[

nostradamus

l disagree, l see Neeld as very much part of the problem. Probably the best example of this was last year and the situation with Magner. He started off like a house on fire, was very effective and contributing well to the team. But then Neeld changed his role and used him as a tagger.....EPIC FAIL. Now where is he ?? On the rookie list is where !!!! What a waste, and just so ridiculous given their current circumstance.

Dudge

Quote from: nostradamus on April 08, 2013, 11:14:41 PM

l disagree, l see Neeld as very much part of the problem. Probably the best example of this was last year and the situation with Magner. He started off like a house on fire, was very effective and contributing well to the team. But then Neeld changed his role and used him as a tagger.....EPIC FAIL. Now where is he ?? On the rookie list is where !!!! What a waste, and just so ridiculous given their current circumstance.

Not a bad point there Nostra

nostradamus

Quote from: Dudge on April 08, 2013, 11:27:43 PM
Quote from: nostradamus on April 08, 2013, 11:14:41 PM

Not a bad point there Nostra

Add to that, him overseeing the trading of good draft picks (and effectively the clubs future) for highly questionable short-term fixes.

The man is a spud