Main Menu

Inner Demons

Started by MTTY, April 01, 2013, 12:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTTY

Believe it or not i'm actually still a fan of Mark Neeld as a coach, just not for now. Neeld has the tools to develop an individual, original successful game plan but he cannot change a culture. This is why I think a new coach must be found; to install that culture, the hardwork and the attitude required to play AFL football.

Mark Neeld must remain, as an assistant coach but as an apprentice to take over when the culture has been re-installed. When looking at coaches that are capable of filling this role, from the modern day coaches Damien Hardwick and Mick Malthouse share the qualities needed, however both these coaches are inevitably unavailable. Looking outside of the AFL; Gary Lyon, Mark Williams and Paul Roos are the ones I believe will best suit this role, of which I believe Gary Lyon could be persuaded to fill this role for the minor years required.

I now turn my attention to the list itself, of which I believe Mark Neeld took a big step in that he got rid of most of the soft and uncommitted players but forgot those who simply lack the skills and talent required.

#2 - Nathan Jones

Has been and will continue to be one of our better players, however he will not reach elite status if the status quo, of the current club culture, remains. The issue here is that he will seek better pastures elsewhere.

#4 - Jack Watts

This is the last season I am willing to defend him. He has the skills and talent to be a star; one of the best kicks in the Melbourne team. If he does not start going for contested ball or putting his body on the line (with his new frame) then it becomes simply; soft players do not belong in the AFL, delist or trade him.

#5 - Jimmy Toumpas

Needs good players around him in order to go unnoticed at this stage in his career, otherwise he could risk his potential as being a star.

#6 - Chris Dawes

As we will see next week, if Clark and he both play, he will simply add structure and take the 2nd tall defender with him. Won't make up for the terrible performance of the midfield though. 500k a year well spent.

#7 - Jack Viney

As he showed yesterday, he has the talent even without others around him. Could very well emulate Joel Selwood's career, however if he begins to attract a tag it could have a very bad influence on his career.

#8 - James Frawley

He has never been the same since the culture switch occurred; lacks confidence within his teammates and the club. Seems to give up, when we are down in the past two years.

#9 - Jack Trengove

Have not seen the development that he is capable of since he was drafted, I feel he could shift from being an elite midfielder to a role player in his career. Leadership so early in his career seems to have over pressured him.

#10 - Shannon Byrnes

Unlike others, I think Byrnes was a good pickup for the club, however Neeld is playing him in the wrong role. When Byrnes was playing with Geelong, his natural role was a midfielder that rested forward (more so than the usual midfielder), however a small forward role simply does not suit him, until he gains more time in the middle then he will continue to lack demonstration of his quality. People choose to forget that Byrnes was mainly brought in (with Rodan) because they came from clubs that, at some stage, had a winning culture of which Neeld lacks as being able to implement as a coach (as mentioned in the coaching paragraph) meaning that Neeld decided to try and make up for something, he himself, lacked. (This is one of my reasons for admiring Neeld as a coach)

#11 - Mitch Clark

Is our best player, and could be a future multiple Coleman medal winner with his contested marking and set shot abilities (if he and Dawes remain at the club).

#12 - Colin Sylvia

Has never had the work ethic required of a serious AFL player (along with the culture it has not helped), and for that he needs to finally be moved on, with Kent to be developed as his full-time replacement.

#13 - Jordie McKenzie

No way should he be even discussed as being moved on. He is one of few that actually do not suffer from the culture and continue to work hard anyway. McKenzie has a clear role, of which he fulfills most weeks.

#14 - Lynden Dunn

Too much of a role player, was expected to play as a distributor out of defence this year but unfortunately he can not handle any pressure whatsoever. Needs to be delisted or traded.

#15 - David Rodan

Very similar thoughts to Byrnes, was brought in with the necessary attributes to change a culture; of which he still has pros as a player.

Next part of review to follow soon

Purple 77

I, too, am a fan of Mark Neeld, for every reason you said MTTY. I think the only thing he seems to lack is instilling a desired culture and perhaps even motivating the players.

Some hard truths there I admit, but yes you are right. At this stage, I agree with you on those summaries for players, but I'm giving them the year, then I will make my outright statements.

Amongst this truly awful week for melbourne, I still have a glimmer of hope, that this atrocious performance might actually give the players motivation to have a better year. Even so, that hope isn't well foundationed, as there was no sign of that happening last year, and we had 4-5 months of training to prevent this very situation.

So all in all, I will carry this mood for the whole week at least, of;

flower you Melbourne. flower you.

Dudge

As a outsider looking in i do agree Mitty, nearly all you said is spot on. Your list has alot of talent, but theres certainly something missing. Whether it's game/plan-culture- desire or cofidence i'm not sure. I think Toumpas will be a great player for you guys, but you have a ripper in Viney. His debut has to be up there with the great ones (along with Wines or course) Maybe we (power) just played out of our skins yesterday. Anyway i reckon you guys will bounce back sooner rather than later

Colliwobblers

good review MTTY - I cannot see the arrangement you lay out for the coach, I agree with the need for a hard and unflinching new coach to come in and develop a culture and a standard, but I can't see Neade remaining.

undermines him and he would need to e a big man to take on an assistants role there and the club would be taking a risk in not having a clean slate.

which would be a shame he is well regarded and no doubt has great potential.

agree with your points on Byrnes and think a few of next seasons draft picks should be traded to whatever ageing players they can get to bring in with leadership and as you say winning culture to influence the young list.

but would this help at all given the young captains setup at the club which leads me to,

what are your thoughts on your captains and the ability of them to lead (at this early stage) and the leadership group in general?

i was not against hte strategy of the young captains being they are the future of the club and the club wouldn't have wanted any chance of losing them, at any other club it may have worked but are you asking too much of them in the current climate?

who else? jones? probably not - need someone inspirational and who can be admired and followed into battle.....

what is going on with couch?

do you have any free agents at the end of the season? what are your fears if you do?

Dudge

Sorry Colli, but you do mean Tom, not Brad from the Crows? (Couch) I don't even know if he's been elevated, has he? (Tom)

Colliwobblers

Quote from: Dudge on April 01, 2013, 02:06:52 PM
Sorry Colli, but you do mean Tom, not Brad from the Crows? (Couch) I don't even know if he's been elevated, has he? (Tom)

yeah couch not crouch :)

he is still rookie listed, sure he came into the AFL for 3 games i thik last season and may not have proved AFL ready, but he DOMINATED at casey

averaged 111 champion data ranking points per game. ranked #1 at the club
won the B&F
ranked #2for disposals, contested possies, clearances
#4 for tackles and inside 50's

when he did debut for the dees he had 9 tackles in his first game...  over the 3 he played he averaged the second most tackles in the whole dees team.

why oh why would he still be rookie listed did Melbourne even have 9 tackles yesterday for the entire team....

yes they did sorry that's unfair they had 54 - ( 9 would have been 17% of that total ) :)

but seriously i am an outsider looking in which is why i ASK MTTY, not sure i know the story just makes me wonder why this guy isn't good enough to get a game for Melbourne.

Purple 77

Quote from: Colliwobblers on April 01, 2013, 01:57:14 PM
good review MTTY - I cannot see the arrangement you lay out for the coach, I agree with the need for a hard and unflinching new coach to come in and develop a culture and a standard, but I can't see Neade remaining.

undermines him and he would need to e a big man to take on an assistants role there and the club would be taking a risk in not having a clean slate.

which would be a shame he is well regarded and no doubt has great potential.

agree with your points on Byrnes and think a few of next seasons draft picks should be traded to whatever ageing players they can get to bring in with leadership and as you say winning culture to influence the young list.

but would this help at all given the young captains setup at the club which leads me to,

what are your thoughts on your captains and the ability of them to lead (at this early stage) and the leadership group in general?

i was not against hte strategy of the young captains being they are the future of the club and the club wouldn't have wanted any chance of losing them, at any other club it may have worked but are you asking too much of them in the current climate?

who else? jones? probably not - need someone inspirational and who can be admired and followed into battle.....

what is going on with couch?

do you have any free agents at the end of the season? what are your fears if you do?

Sorry to be a grammar Nazi, but I've seen you type his name wrong twice now;

Neeld, not Neade :)

Sylvia and Aaron Davey and the Free Agents, so NOTHING to fear from melbourne there. Neither would be a huge loss.

I personally think the Captains are fine; Grimes was great against the power. And I still have faith in Trengove, I mean, if you compare the SC averages of say Dangerfield, Cotchin and Beams in 2011 to 2012, there was a huge leap, and I think Trengove will do this; I think in 2014.

Dudge

Sorry mate my bad :-[ (better go delete my other post haha)

Colliwobblers

Yes I actually thought it was Neald but I stand corrected. too used to typing Neade (port) all preseason.

no doubt either the Melbourne captains will be premium players, but can they lead yet, is more my question.

Looking in from outside seeing how each plays gives absolutely no perspective into how they are going internally as leaders.

which is why i ask you guys in the know.

Neeld from now on  ;)

@ Dudge no problem, i am sure a lot of people get them confused i did not as I was all over this young Tom Couch bloke last season....

but I cant spell the coach correctly so I can't talk, but at least i have my couches and crouches sorted out  ;D

Ringo

Know probably not a good example after Saturdays debacle - But You can benefit from a good assistant coach to Neeld.  I put part of Brisbanes late last season form and NAB Cup to the influence of Mark Harvey as Vossies asst coach.  Think it took a while to gel but reaping benefits now and I hope weekend was just a road bloack as Lions not used to being favourites atm.

Colliwobblers

Quote from: Ringo on April 01, 2013, 02:23:40 PM
Know probably not a good example after Saturdays debacle - But You can benefit from a good assistant coach to Neeld.  I put part of Brisbanes late last season form and NAB Cup to the influence of Mark Harvey as Vossies asst coach.  Think it took a while to gel but reaping benefits now and I hope weekend was just a road bloack as Lions not used to being favourites atm.

personally i think the Lions are way better than that round 1 game. next week will be a much more accurate representation of where they are at.

and i agree they are further along than they were last season, still think there was something of a nab win hangover there, whether fatigue or overconfidence, maybe the latter.

Dudge

With both the Lions and Crows losing rd1 Ringo, who starts favourite this week. The home ground advantage would put the Lions slightly infront wouldn't it

Ringo

Quote from: Dudge on April 01, 2013, 02:55:07 PM

With both the Lions and Crows losing rd1 Ringo, who starts favourite this week. The home ground advantage would put the Lions slightly infront wouldn't it
We have a 15 from 25 against Crows so have a sound record - Wary of this game because it is the twilight starting at 3;40pm AEST and for some reason we seem to struggle with an afternoon time slot.  If it was at night would have no hesitation.  With both sides desperate not to be 0-2 should be a good game. And Colli pretty sure complacency was an issue. Hopefully is the wakeup call they needed and we see a better all round effort. Says a lot of the effort when Beams with 37% of game time after coming on as sub scored more SC Points then 8 of his team mates.

Colliwobblers

champion bloodlines there Ringo  ;D  kid will be a star

Mat0369

Although Melbourne have a young side, I would like to see them play some unsociable footy. They have some big solid bodies in that team, and if they are not going to win a contest, I would like to see them impact it in some way, even if they give away the free.