Main Menu

Knowing someone with Talent

Started by deekay, March 27, 2013, 12:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deekay

Hi all!

Just wondering what you would do if you know a young fella who has some serious talent... (association b/f, team b/f, made state team for u17's when was only 14) Has incredible pace over 100m ran a 11.23 yesterday and is only 14 years old. Is adamant that he will make AFL just on raw talent with his agility and pace.

How do you push someone that isn't committed enough? At training he goes through the motions, kick here, handball here but isn't willing to push through the lines etc.

Would love some suggestions/help!  ;D

cheers

Ziplock

sounds pretty impressive :P

It could be that football isn't something he wants to do with his life (some people have other aspirations), or (and probably more likely), he doesn't see the need to push himself at this stage- if he's as good as you say he is, he might (depending where/ who he's playing for) be almost bored being a couple of cuts above everyone else. Either he needs to have new challenges set or be brought down to a point where he realises he needs to work to improve.

Basically he probably needs to find someone better than himself :P

all conjecture of course, it completely depends on his personality. Talking to his parents/ coach about having a serious sit down and talk with him about considering to pursue a professional football career etc. could help.

that being said, 14 is very young to make that call- depending on how early he developed (for instance, by 14 I was already 190cm tall, around what I am now), he may have already peaked in several of his attributes.

best of luck :P 

deekay

have inboxed zip :)

anyone else have any ideas - feel free to post below!

Ringo

Maybe use Zorko as an example for him. (Zorko just had his 24th Birthday so a long wait),

Zorko by his own admission used to turn up to Broadbeach 2 weeks before the season and say Here I am guys.  Was Captain of the club with heaps of natural talent but this lazy type attitude effected him getting the early call up for AFL.  Realized that if he was to make it ion AFL then attitude had to change and thankfully it did.

Been trying to find the interview for you but have been unable to but a good example of where Natural Talent is not enough.

Not sure where you are in Melbourne but it may be worthwhile in attending a Lions training session in Melbourne and seeing if you can get to talk to Zorks.  (Melbourne training times and locations advertised on Lions site.  This week they have a Public session at Albert Park at 4:00pm)

Just a thought as sometimes a real situation may be the wake up call needed.

Master Q

Has he gone through the change?  :P

valkorum

I had a similar attitude when it came to basketball at 14.  The "event" that turned it around for me was going and training with adults and then playing in an adult competition.  Getting smashed by them made me want to work all that much harder.  By 17 I had turned myself around and won the A-grade mens MVP. 

I have also seen the complete opposite happen - the kid gets smashed and then loses all passion for the game and walks away. 

The 2 key elements are:

1) The kids desire to be better
2) The parents supporting this kid regardless of what happens

deekay

Quote from: Ringo on March 27, 2013, 09:43:31 AM
Maybe use Zorko as an example for him. (Zorko just had his 24th Birthday so a long wait),

Zorko by his own admission used to turn up to Broadbeach 2 weeks before the season and say Here I am guys.  Was Captain of the club with heaps of natural talent but this lazy type attitude effected him getting the early call up for AFL.  Realized that if he was to make it ion AFL then attitude had to change and thankfully it did.

Been trying to find the interview for you but have been unable to but a good example of where Natural Talent is not enough.

Not sure where you are in Melbourne but it may be worthwhile in attending a Lions training session in Melbourne and seeing if you can get to talk to Zorks.  (Melbourne training times and locations advertised on Lions site.  This week they have a Public session at Albert Park at 4:00pm)

Just a thought as sometimes a real situation may be the wake up call needed.

I'm actually in Adelaides far north! About 800km from the city... I have tweeted GAJ (chances are slim) due to his compelling interview on Open Mike.

Quote from: Master Q on March 27, 2013, 12:40:13 PM
Has he gone through the change?  :P

Going through 'the change' haha. about 180cm...quiet skinny. Was selected for the 'Indigenous Boomerang Squad' in the final 40 I think it is, but was then dropped because the selectors found out that for an u17's tournament they couldn't take a 13 year old.... if you got the talent why not play it?  ???

Quote from: valkorum on March 27, 2013, 01:00:53 PM
I have also seen the complete opposite happen - the kid gets smashed and then loses all passion for the game and walks away. 

The 2 key elements are:

1) The kids desire to be better
2) The parents supporting this kid regardless of what happens

He definitely has the desire to be better on the field but is not willing to do the off field extras (the runs, ball skills etc).

#2...I don't know how supportive the parents are, if there is any support? Certainly not academically or attendance wise and rarely see them at match day. He is currently destroying everyone his age on and off the field, getting BOGs for state games, state teams and locally aswell.

The issue I have is that he could be so much better however, doesn't necessarily see it because he is such a high standard above everyone else he plays against. If he could improve his off field actions and become more.... dedicated he could be a machine. Would go as far as a very high draft pick.

for example, with no training his 20m Sprint was 2.86seconds. Google it, see how it compares  ;D remember this is at age 13 the test was done.

blue

I have no idea on this subject, but there must be some kind of private school sporting scollarship program or ais that maybe he should be applying for

deekay

Quote from: blue on March 27, 2013, 11:20:32 PM
I have no idea on this subject, but there must be some kind of private school sporting scollarship program or ais that maybe he should be applying for

there are certain scholarships available but by not being a 'mentor' there is a selection process...very unclear about it myself. Something I will research!

Spite

Contact AFL clubs and inquire about zone or scholarship selections. Then if he gets a spot, they'll sort him out.

quinny88

Meh he's only 14, let him be a kid. I dont know of many 14 year olds that are dedicated to anything are they?
AFL isnt in his reach yet, if he is still dominating at age 16 it will be and he will get some great advice from the tac cup coaches and scouts about whats required.
If he is of the belief that he is a walk up start to play AFL then he needs a reality check though because I have seen many juniorur guns not make it because they werent dedicated enough.

Mat0369

deekay

Quote from: Spite on March 28, 2013, 01:31:27 AM
Contact AFL clubs and inquire about zone or scholarship selections. Then if he gets a spot, they'll sort him out.

He is with the 'Port Adelaide Magpies' but to be honest, they don't do much from what I can see. I have looked at a couple of schools in Adelaide but most of the scholarships have closed now and reopen next year for 2015. Curious if it is possible to get one through Port Adelaide Magpies... Will suss it out

Quote from: quinny88 on March 28, 2013, 03:06:11 AM
If he is of the belief that he is a walk up start to play AFL then he needs a reality check though because I have seen many juniorur guns not make it because they werent dedicated enough.

exactly right, I personally don't want to see this, especially to such a good kid with huge talent potential.

Quote from: Mat0369 on March 28, 2013, 03:37:25 AM
Check your pm's deekay

Thanks Mat :)

lolamusi

Need inspiration go look at those people are awesome videos on the youtube. Bubba it'll make you sit at home all day

nrich102

Sammy Michael used to go to my church