Step up, Brent Stanton, and do a job on Patrick Dangerfield

Started by Ricochet, March 22, 2013, 01:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colliwobblers

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on March 24, 2013, 01:53:11 PM
and i don't think you should blame this on the current coaching staff Colli

not current - previous - and its more than just the coaching staff - so much more behind the scenes than the coaches.

but anyway Hird hasn't been there long enough to make much difference and nor has bomber but both are going to be good i think.

and i am not really having a go at them or the ckub or anyone just putting the question out there... is there a reason/problem?

best answer i have seen so far that seems very plausible is injuries have held many back over the past couple of seasons.

as i said i am not the resident bombers expert, i simply look at a list of VERY talented players and ask - why arent any of these guys elite yet....?

could pretty much do it for MOST clubs.  Bulldogs and their tall fwds is a bigger issue i am sure..

cordy
williams
grant
jones
roughead (was a fwd)

what is going on here?

mooney down there now trying to sort them out.....

kilbluff1985

Colli slightly off topic but how did you see our drafting this draft? i think we surprised a few with our choices i mean i'm sure we have a set criteria but yeah i was pretty surprised with our choices

DazBurg

i know what your saying colli and i do agree at why we dont have more elite why is it we target goddard and every football writer in the papers says now finally someone to help out jobe

that there highlights what yours saying
why do e need to land a big free agent to help  jobe

Colliwobblers

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on March 24, 2013, 02:24:15 PM
Colli slightly off topic but how did you see our drafting this draft? i think we surprised a few with our choices i mean i'm sure we have a set criteria but yeah i was pretty surprised with our choices

Daniher = no brainer, would have dreamed of getting him if not a father son, wouldn't have gotten him, but be very glad you did, suits the clubs needs perfectly. Hurley may stay or go, 2 power fwds would be a luxury, but even if hurley goes one day you would think daniher will be a bomber for like and an elite fwd of the future. Add Ryder as a resting ruck and great tall options when daniher is cooked (3-5 years) think he may be faster but that may be wishful thinking all key fwds seem to take a LONG time..

Sean Gregory = fletch can't play forever... can he? they have pears and hooker and carlisle and fletch so i guess this means one they don't beieve will make it or one may just leave in time and fletch won't play much longer so they need a new key def in the system, again will take a long time to get him up to speed but smart to start one sooner rather than later.

Gregory has all the makings of a key defender, lead the calder cannons in spoils, 2nd in intercept marks and 4th in intercept possessions at only 72kg you'd reckon he will only get better with the next 2 years and 30kg...

Jason Ashby = looks a good general defender, think the bombers just took this guy as they saw value in him at the pick he was. Could be a run with type or a rebound defender, averaged 19 disposals, 4 tackles and 3 rebound 50's in 14 games at oakleigh last season. Good get I reckon.

Martin Gleeson = a baby 69kg, no real experience, didn't play at state level, but a very good kick, 14th best at the combine. a winger at tac cup level averaged only 14 disposals and 2 tackles but as a baby could be a good get if he has a great kick and can run he will fit in nicely out on a wing, or as an outside mid.

Dylan Van Unen = mature aged, 22, top 5 finish in B&F at frankston, won the "most determined player" award :) averaged 14 disposals ranked #1 for intercept possessions, 3rd in spoils, 4th in rebound 50's. at tac cup he ranked 8th in the comp for rebound 50's and 5th for total disposals in defence.

another indication the bombers are worried about their back line ?  good get and will either play or spur the existing defenders to lift, to hold their spot in the 22.

Nic Kommer = mature aged again, this time a mid at 22, was very efficient by foot at east perth and averaged 19 disposals also. This one is a strange pick, but again indicated a lack of depth in the midfield, it surprised me, would have thought the bombers have plenty of potential mids ahead of him so may have been better served by trying to find a potential 18 year old star.

but he trained at the bombers and impressed, earnt his spot on their list and may be a gem, they obviously feel he will be, and his start this week backs that up.

All in all I think the bombers got a lot of what they needed and would be pretty happy with the draft. Key fwds and defence taken care of pretty well, with a ruck now that is great for having bellchambers and ryder, hille is surely in his last season at the club, i would have expected them to pick up a ruck but we stole him :)  (grundy)

bombers will need to get one soon as a matter of urgency no rucks on their list i think after the 3 i mentioned.

Mids are ok just need to come on, the ones we all know plus i think kavanagh and merrett will be great players, one inside one outside another year in the VFL and then another preseason and 2014 could see a lot more of them at AFL level and both have the goods i reckon.

@ Dazburg - Heppell maybe a year away but he will be more help to watson, myers should breakout this season if given mid time, stanton is ranked elite and rightfuly so, he may have struggled with the tag last season ( MOST MIDS DO) but watson WAS helped by him, taking the #1 tagger away and giving watson freedom was very effective and helped Watson so much he won the brownlow.

he might have won it anyway he is a star, but some credit should go to stanton he was good enough to draw that tagger.

Toga

You reckon Hurley could be on the move in the future CW?

Would love to see him in the yellow and black actually! :o

Colliwobblers

Quote from: Toga on March 24, 2013, 03:51:42 PM

i don't reckon, i don't have a clue, it would be cruel if he did move, and i doubt the bombers will fail to match any offers when his contract comes up, but it's something in modern football you would want to plan for (tippett) (cloke) (franklin)

but Hurley would be a restricted free agent when the time came i believe meaning all the bombers have to do is match the $$ ?

AFEV

Quote from: Toga on March 24, 2013, 03:51:42 PM

Hurley has (publicly) stated he never wants to leave the Bombers and signed a massive 5 year contract just last year when he could have gone to GWS/GC for a crapton of cash...All indications are he is perfectly happy at the Bombers.

Hands off. ;)

Toga

Haha ok :P

Didn't know about the contracts etc but he would definitely have some currency in the trade market!

AFEV

Quote from: Toga on March 24, 2013, 04:18:04 PM
Haha ok :P

Didn't know about the contracts etc but he would definitely have some currency in the trade market!
So would Trent Cotchin but it doesn't mean Richmond will be looking to trade him. :P

Toga

silloc

Stanton is never going to be an elite player. In an elite team, he will do very good and seem elite, but he wont carry a team the way watson, ablett, mitchel, can, which is the difference between elite and very good