Step up, Brent Stanton, and do a job on Patrick Dangerfield

Started by Ricochet, March 22, 2013, 01:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

Hey boys, was wondering if you guys could elaborate a bit on this article? I've had Stants locked all preseason...

IT'S time Essendon reinvented Brent Stanton and it could start tonight if he's given the job of playing on Adelaide's dynamite midfielder, Patrick Dangerfield.

It's unlikely because Stanton hasn't got the inside game to match Dangerfield's ferocity, but at the same time he has the running capacity to go with Dangerfield, and possibly hurt Dangerfield offensively.

Whoever has to go to Dangerfield will have a ridiculous night.

One opposition analyst suggested the Crows send Dangerfield to match Essendon captain Jobe Watson at the contest and then burn Watson off using his explosive speed. The analyst didn't like Stanton on Dangerfield for the simple fact that Stanton is not a coal-face footballer, and Dangerfield is perhaps the best hard-ball getter in the competition.

As it is, Dangerfield and his skipper, Scott Thompson, are key midfielders for the Crows and need attention.

With revitalised and injury-free Heath Hocking almost certain to tag Thompson, it leaves Dangerfield as the single greatest headache for Bombers coach James Hird.

Dangerfield is a unique player in the sense that he is elite at the contest -- thus wins his own ball -- and is elite as an outside runner.

He was the No.1 hard-ball get player in the competition last year and, astonishingly, was ranked eighth overall in metres gained.

Champion Data tells us 59 per cent of his possessions were won in a contest, which was the second highest percentage of the top 50 disposal players.

He was also second for clearances in the competition.

On the face of it, Stanton wouldn't have a chance.

For hard-ball gets last year Stanton was ranked about 200th.

The Bombers spent much of the pre-season trying to develop Stanton's defensive game. They had to.

As a pure outside talent, Stanton has the capacity to hurt opposition.

The problem is, opposition sides eventually jump on him and Stanton's effectiveness is too easily curtailed. That's the nice way of putting it.

To be brutal, he is too easily tagged out of the game.

Last year, from Rounds 1-8, Stanton's numbers were elite, but when sat on for the second half of the season, his numbers dropped in all categories; namely in possessions (minus seven), clearances (minus one) and metres gained (minus 130).

Stanton's season mirrored Essendon's, which tells us he is a real barometer.

For all his qualities, Stanton can't remain largely an outside runner if Essendon wants to win the premiership.

The Bombers are the worst defensive team in the competition over the past eight years and part of the problem is too many players work harder running to one end than toward the other.

Stanton needs a more rounded game, as do the Bombers as a whole.

Maybe Dangerfield isn't his perfect match, but a run-with role who can hurt -- as opposed to a heavy tag -- could be the reinvention of Stanton.

Twenty-three touches and a defensive mindset is far better for the team than a mix of 35 touches on a good day and 15 on a bad day.

Colliwobblers

dont know what to make of it bombers have run with players in hocking and a couple of others why try to turn an ourside ball winner/ running player into a tagger.

makes no sense, but then if you ask me essendon are the worst coached / trained team in the competition so it wouldnt surprise me.

just look through the prospectus essendon have at least 10 first round draft pick players on their list that after 1,2,3,4,5,6 years they have failed to turn ANY OF THEM into above average players in champion data rankings, much less elite!

i wouldn't touch a player in red and black unless he was recruited from another club and already elite (goddard) , or called watson,

heppell may be the only one to break the mould and actually become an elite player, but if he does i think it is fair to say it is just because he is a gun not because of anything the bombers coaching and training staff have done.

examples incase you doubt me:

Carlisle pick 24 2009
colyer pick 26 2009
dempsey pick 19 2005
gumbleton pick 2 2006
hurley pick 5 2008
jetta pick 18 2006
melksham pick 10 2009
myers pick 6 2007
pears pick23 2007
winderlich pick 11 2002

monfries(gone) pick 14 2004

the ones that have or might make it to elite

stanton pick 13 2003
zaharakis pick 23 2008
heppell pick 8 2010
ryder pick 7 2005

think it is fair to say the 4 who might make it to elite have so much natural talent that they would make it regardless ?

just my take, for whatever reason players DO NOT seem to develop as well at the bombers as they do at other clubs....?

my point don't have bombers in your team ;)  except watson goddard and heppell maybe.... maybe

Justin Bieber

Colliwobblers

Quote from: whatlez on March 22, 2013, 01:39:29 AM
All hail spud Stanton

he rated as an elite mid last season, but we all know there are huge holes in his game. My point is how good could he have been if he played for a club renowned for developing players into stars / their full potential

tbagrocks

Hocking takes Sloane

Wright takes Stanton

Watto head to head with the Dangerman

VB on Goddard

Ricochet

He had a 120odd average in DT up until round 14, just needs to finish as season

Colliwobblers

Quote from: tbagrocks on March 22, 2013, 01:42:46 AM
Hocking takes Sloane

Wright takes Stanton

Watto head to head with the Dangerman

VB on Goddard

agree with all of that except watto and danger...

and *NOTE - I mean no disrespect to the bombers team or club in my above post just seems something is not right in their inability in recent seasons to develop their high draft picks into elite players......

must be frustrating to the bombers fans

Mat0369

Quote from: Ricochet on March 22, 2013, 01:09:22 AM
Hey boys, was wondering if you guys could elaborate a bit on this article? I've had Stants locked all preseason...

IT'S time Essendon reinvented Brent Stanton and it could start tonight if he's given the job of playing on Adelaide's dynamite midfielder, Patrick Dangerfield.

It's unlikely because Stanton hasn't got the inside game to match Dangerfield's ferocity, but at the same time he has the running capacity to go with Dangerfield, and possibly hurt Dangerfield offensively.

Whoever has to go to Dangerfield will have a ridiculous night.

One opposition analyst suggested the Crows send Dangerfield to match Essendon captain Jobe Watson at the contest and then burn Watson off using his explosive speed. The analyst didn't like Stanton on Dangerfield for the simple fact that Stanton is not a coal-face footballer, and Dangerfield is perhaps the best hard-ball getter in the competition.

As it is, Dangerfield and his skipper, Scott Thompson, are key midfielders for the Crows and need attention.

Sorry I stopped reading after that

kilbluff1985

Quote from: Colliwobblers on March 22, 2013, 01:21:37 AM
dont know what to make of it bombers have run with players in hocking and a couple of others why try to turn an ourside ball winner/ running player into a tagger.

makes no sense, but then if you ask me essendon are the worst coached / trained team in the competition so it wouldnt surprise me.

just look through the prospectus essendon have at least 10 first round draft pick players on their list that after 1,2,3,4,5,6 years they have failed to turn ANY OF THEM into above average players in champion data rankings, much less elite!

i wouldn't touch a player in red and black unless he was recruited from another club and already elite (goddard) , or called watson,

heppell may be the only one to break the mould and actually become an elite player, but if he does i think it is fair to say it is just because he is a gun not because of anything the bombers coaching and training staff have done.

Carlisle pick 24 2009
colyer pick 26 2009
dempsey pick 19 2005
gumbleton pick 2 2006
hurley pick 5 2008
jetta pick 18 2006
melksham pick 10 2009
myers pick 6 2007
pears pick23 2007
winderlich pick 11 2002

stanton pick 13 2003
zaharakis pick 23 2008
heppell pick 8 2010
ryder pick 7 2005

think it is fair to say the 4 who might make it to elite have so much natural talent that they would make it regardless ?

just my take, for whatever reason players DO NOT seem to develop as well at the bombers as they do at other clubs....?

my point don't have bombers in your team ;)  except watson goddard and heppell maybe.... maybe

Carlisle turning into a pretty good defender
Dempsey a solid defender in any teams best 22
Gumbleton has the talent if he can stay on the park
Hurley very good play still developing
Myers has potential to be a very good player

you make these guys out like they are spuds there not elite but they are far from spuds

AFEV

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on March 22, 2013, 03:20:51 AM
Quote from: Colliwobblers on March 22, 2013, 01:21:37 AM

Carlisle pick 24 2009
colyer pick 26 2009
dempsey pick 19 2005
gumbleton pick 2 2006
hurley pick 5 2008
jetta pick 18 2006
melksham pick 10 2009
myers pick 6 2007
pears pick23 2007
winderlich pick 11 2002

stanton pick 13 2003
zaharakis pick 23 2008
heppell pick 8 2010
ryder pick 7 2005

Carlisle turning into a pretty good defender
Dempsey a solid defender in any teams best 22
Gumbleton has the talent if he can stay on the park
Hurley very good play still developing
Myers has potential to be a very good player

you make these guys out like they are spuds there not elite but they are far from spuds
Pretty sure every team in the competition would take Carlisle and Hurley if they could. 2 of the best young KPPs in the country.
Honestly I think it's unfair to say this is limited to Essington. Colyer, Gumbleton, Pears, Myers, Winderlich and even Hurley have been held back a LOT by injuries. Not trying to have a go at you but I think that the vast majority of oppo supporters (even casual Ess fans) don't know what these guys are capable of looking forward.

Gumbleton, Myers, Carlisle, Hurley /could/ be elite.

kilbluff1985

Colliwobblers

Yeah guys you are just agreeing with me, these guys SHOULD be elite. can be elite, drafted high every one of them because of natural talent and huge potential, just not developing at the bombers.

that is my point, nothing to do with or about any of them being spuds, it is about their development at their club.

it is just the facts. the why i cannot tell you.

kilbluff1985

Fletch74

Quote from: Colliwobblers on March 22, 2013, 09:46:03 AM
Yeah guys you are just agreeing with me, these guys SHOULD be elite. can be elite, drafted high every one of them because of natural talent and huge potential, just not developing at the bombers.

that is my point, nothing to do with or about any of them being spuds, it is about their development at their club.

it is just the facts. the why i cannot tell you.
You missed what Sid said. It's injuries, not development. Their development has been hindered by injuries!!

Justin Bieber

I saw Stanton then thought of the finest potato farm in the country then left the page