Main Menu

Round 1 discussion

Started by quinny88, March 20, 2013, 08:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quinny88

Quote from: Mat0369 on March 28, 2013, 01:49:55 AM
Quote from: quinny88 on March 28, 2013, 01:15:51 AM
Bootsma over Laidler the only real shock for me?

My own teams supporters are pissing me off, I am going to talk about the game in here. Joseph should never play a game again for Carlton. Last two seasons have been abysmal. Boots still needs a year or two of bulk before he should be getting regular games. Curnow not even an emergency is the other big one. Against a team where you want to win the hard ball, you needed one of Bell or Curnow in instead of Joseph. Only reason I can see Joseph playing is he was the logical Nahas match up. Unfortunately his ability to play offensively and defensively disappeared over the last two years. Rowe was never going to play and I said that a while back.

Haha fair enough. Yeah ive never thought much of Joseph. I guess Scotland will automatically push one of he or Boots out next week. Do you think Rowe will come in at any stage? I personally would put him ahead of Hampson

Mat0369

Quote from: quinny88 on March 28, 2013, 01:55:57 AM
Haha fair enough. Yeah ive never thought much of Joseph. I guess Scotland will automatically push one of he or Boots out next week. Do you think Rowe will come in at any stage? I personally would put him ahead of Hampson

I made the point that they could go 0-4 heading into the Adelaide game and they jumped all over me. They play Collingwood, the Cats at Etihad, West Coast in Perth and then Adelaide at Etihad. It is a real possibility if they lose the Richmond game they could go 0-4 because the level of opposition are all possible top 4 sides after the Richmond game. According to them the great savior is going to guide them to victory over every team and they will finish 22-0 by the way they are talking.

Joseph was actually really impressive his first two seasons. Was like a younger Carrazzo without the ball winning ability. He actually did a really good job tagging Ablett but I don't know what changed. Scotty has one more week on the sideline. He takes the spot of one of Joseph or Boots when he is back.

No chance he is ahead of Hampson. Rowe is a ruck forward and most certainly not ahead of Hampson at all in ability. It is a good story, but he does not fit the team structure and Hampson is the better player.

I watched 360 tonight and Mark Maclure took a shot at Hampson tonight and said Robbie Warnock should be in the team. No Warnock should not be, Kreuzer and Hampson can both play forward which fits the sub rule better and are both better players. That comment also made me scratch my head. When Hampson came to the club he was such a raw prospect but had all the physical tools. He kind of stalled for a couple of years as he had Kreuzer, Warnock and Jacobs to compete with for a starting ruck role. It might surprise you, but Hampson is just about on par with Kreuzer for athleticism and might even take him for pace. I remember a while back Ratten talking about one of the quickest players over 20 meters at the club being Hammer. To try and find a way to get him into the team they tried him forward in the VFL (before the sub rule to play alongside Fev as another key forward) and he has been learning the craft since then. He is not a natural forward but he has shown glimpses. He is a natural ruck, and if he was allowed to ruck out whole games on his own I think he would surprise people with his ability. If you watched the first round of the NAB, he was dominant. He was everywhere, forward, back, in the middle, marking in packs, kicking goals, all while shouldering the ruck load on his own.

I remember going to one of the VFL games and seeing this huge 200 plus cm guy pick up the ball at ground level at full pace, sprint away from a defender and then kick a goal on the run. I was thinking who the hell was that, it turned out to be Hampson. His problem, like Kreuzers, is when he finally gets it all together, gets it to click, he gets injured.

quinny88

Yeah thats just the point though. I dont think Hampson is good enough to play as a forward. As a ruckman he would blossom I reckon but he is too "Unco" as Maclure put it, to play forward. I dont doubt his athletics, I would even say hes more athletic than Kreuzer but he approaches contests with a Kamakazee sort of attack and rarely comes down with the ball. Someone on SEN put it well when they said he tries to mark the ball like he has two symbols in his hands (the big dish looking musical intruments) and sort of slams them together.  Yes he looked good in Nab 1 but that was against GWS and Sydneys reserves. He does get in some good form streaks but I just think he would be so much more suited to a #1 ruck role. Will probably never get that at Carlton though.
Rowe I dont really know that much about but Mick seems to really like him so was hoping he got a game more for my supercoach than anything lol.
Oh well its Carltons talls that have ever worried Richmond its their smalls like Betts and Garlett

Mat0369

He rucked against Giles the first game who is a pretty solid ruck and absolutely smashed him in the air and around the ground. He actually works really well in tandem with another solid forward option, but will not be the guy in the forward line. He brings more as a back up ruck and I think is serviceable enough for the forward line. He had the highest hit out to advantage ratio at the club most of the games he played. So he is able to come into the ruck and the midfield still gets a good chunk of the ball to their advantage. I think a lot of these people remember Hampson as the guy with the hands of stone when he tries to mark the ball. He actually had a problem with his eyes which he got corrected last off season and his marking started to steadily improve. As someone who is short sighted, I can tell you what a pain in he ass it was trying to mark a ball with my depth perception completely out. The other thing is him bringing the ball to ground is not a negative at all. He has been clunking more marks one on one and when he is in contested situations where he is outnumbered in the air, he brings the ball to his feet front and center for guys like Betts to run on to. Eddie would be licking his lips knowing the ball is coming to ground rather then being intercepted.   

Also considering Rowe was diagnosed pretty early las season, this pre season and a couple of pre season games last year is all I really got to see him play. For his size he seems like a guy who leads more to the ball and not someone who can take a big contested grab consistently. Casboult and Hammer are guys who can take the big contested marks with their frames and size. Now that I said this tonight, it will rain heavily tomorrow and every ball will slip through both their hands to make me look like a complete moron

quinny88

Haha yeah im not saying a word more either or he will come out and kick 6 ::)

Mat0369

This is the first year in recent memory where I have not been confident coming into round 1. Last year the entire press was flogging Carlton because they had a bad NAB but I was still fairly confident they would get over the line. Before the injuries really struck I was thinking top 4, then they got on a roll and they were given the premiership favourite hat so early in the season (proves both NAB and early tags mean jack). When they got the run of injuries I was just hoping to make finals and get our best players on the park by September. Obviously it just got worse but I still think Ratten was a victim of circumstance. As a supporter I am still pretty dirty about how that whole situation was handled. I will leave all that for a more relevant thread instead of hijacking this one. But going into this game I think Carlton could be in trouble. I am pretty much hoping Betts can have his usual round 1 heroics

Nige

OH WE'RE FROM TIGERLANDDDDDDDD

Toga

YELLOW & BLACK!!!!!!

Bloody happy with the win there, would've liked to cream 'me (which we should have) but still a great way to start the season!! 8)

Vincent

44 points up and then choked, you are just lucky that Yarran stuffed up his last kick when he was running into goal. Don't get too excited tiger fans.

kilbluff1985

Toga

A win is a win! I'll take four points over zero any day! ;)

LaHug

As a Tiger fan, I hate to put a dampener on a win, but this is why we're still not a top 8 side. We should have put them away but we wasted opportunities. Then, whether out of tiredness, complacency, or just a lack of mental control, we didn't show up for the 4th.

Also, being at the game, my heart can not handle that week after week!

quinny88

We have been belted by Carlton 9 times in a row and people want to put a dampener on the win.. We won! go the mighty tiges!

P.s vincent you are an absolute tosser.. and you go for port. Your club is a laughing stock

EZA100

good to get a win over carlton in the first round, but it is true we should of one by more at least 20 points we wasted so many opportunities in that 1st quarter when we kicked 2.9 to 3.3. And then we slowed down in that 4th quarter not even kicked a goal, luckily yarren sprayed that goal. Martin was really good in those last couple of minutes where he did a few desperate things to try and get the ball forward. But overall great to finally get 4 points in the first round. And guess what we're in the top 4, get your home finals tickets.

Jroo

Sooo good that we finally defeated the Blues  ;D
Even though we nearly chocked in the end  ::)
Cotch was good as usual.
Deledio was BOG for 3 quarters.
Vickery was very good and stepped up as Jroo done nothing.
I was very impressed with Batchelor down back, showed a lot of poise and was pretty good. Don't know why you don't like him Quinny, because I easily see him in our best 22 even before yesterday p.
McGuane played his role and his tackle at the end of the game was great.
Conca was impressieve and Dusty was awesome in glimpses.
Tuck was great and as usual no one really noticed him (including myself)
I was also very happy with the way Jackson played today  :o
We were lucky to hold on, the Blues played some good football when they wanted to. Gibbs was great for them. I thought Judd was close to BOG, Kreuzer played well against Maric, Jamison destroyed Jroo and Walker was great for them down back.
Very happy to get the 4 points  ;D ;D ;D