Mat0369's team - Round 14

Started by Mat0369, March 20, 2013, 02:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat0369

Just did a draft with a group of mates tonight. Quite happy with my team. I was picking from the 6 spot which is kind of crappy but I think I made out well. Built the team for the season not round 1. 22 players picked, 10 team league, play each other twice and then a top eight with finals.

I'm not really too fussed about byes at the moment either. All about getting the best team out there come the end of the season

By round:
1: Dean Cox, Buddy taken the pick before and I knew he would not fall to my next pick so took the best ruck in the comp who I can also switch forward. Was hoping one of Danger, Selwood, JPK or Watson would fall to my next pick as a captain option
2: Marc Murphy, rarely falls under 100, was tossing up between him and Boyd as my captain option
3: Sam Jacobs, Strategy was to lock up the rucks early. Was the best option left, good to load up and secure probably the position with the least amount of depth
4: Kieren Jack, was planning to go Rockliff and Stevie J with my next two picks but saw that Jack was still available. For a guy who could be a top 10 mid, was way to good to pass up
5: Stevie J, Rockliff went the pick after Jack, Bartel and Chappy all went off the board the two picks previous, so locked up Johnson who is missing round 1.
6: Heath Scotland, both he and Enright were on the board, was happy with either, went with Scotty even though he is missing early. The DPP helped push him over. Was hoping Enright would fall to my next pick
7: Dyson Heppell, expecting more mid time, has DPP status, was happy to get him at pick 66
8: Jack Redden, with Jordan Lewis and Mitch Robinson both going in the 2 of the 3 previous picks, went BPA who was Redden
9: NRoo, still on the board, even though declining, extremely good value for pick 86 with all the Premos gone.
10: David Muny, had a feeling he was about to get picked, pretty happy with where I got him for a mid 4
11: Jed Adcock, new captian, if he stays fit helps shape my backline pretty well
12: Matty Leuenberger, the reason I took him was strategic, he was the best ruck available, a lot of teams only had one, but it also allowed me to swing Cox forward and play him in the ruck with Sauce Jacobs to help sure up my forward line
13: Michael Hibberd, my smokey out of the backline. I think he can average 90 odd which helps me out quite a bit considering who was left and where I got him
14: Leigh Adams, hard nut with shoulder problems, hopefully he can get his body right but I felt he was the best available forward to fit my structure. DPP status also helps.
15: Colin Sylvia, averaged over 100 before an injury interrupted season. Playing for a crappy team but would be my bottom forward if Cox plays forward and has DPP status to help with coverage
16: Tom Liberatore, has had a good pre season, I needed a mid, I felt he was the best available with the ability to break out.
17: Allen Christensen, could break out, has DPP status, I wanted a guy who could fill in for the forwards and mids pending where I needed him. Considering Josh Kennedy for West Coast went off the board I felt he was a better pick and took Christensen
18: Adam Treloar, bit of a risky one, he scored so well last year minus a couple of games, racks up the ball and kicks goals. Was not much around unless I would have doubled up on guys from the same team (Mitch Wallis, Nick Lower and Cooney)
19: Shaun Atley, was hoping Yarran would fall to this pick but he was taken just before Treloar. Picked Atley to be my bottom defender and picked up my next guy for insurance
20: Jordan Russell, I expect him to average 80 odd this year, so if Atley backfires, he will fill in and I can work the waiver wires
21: Michael Rischitelli, bench option mid, averaged mid 90's before an injury interrupted season, works well as a bench guy to fill in
22: Lynden Dunn, was between him and Westhoff, the forward DPP and the fact he is sweeping along half back drew me too him. Not a guy I would pick up in a regular SC team, but he gives me dual coverage as a bench option. I only want him to hit 70 or so a week, if he scores more it is a bonus

Best 18
Scotland, Adcock, Heppell, Hibberd, Atley
Murphy (C), Jack, Redden, Mundy, Libba, Treloar
Jacobs, Leuenberger
Cox, Johnson, NRoo, Adams, Sylvia
Bench: Russell, Rischitelli, Christensen, Dunn

I am quite happy with it. Hoping a couple of the younger guys work out but I think I have a good core there. If Leuenberger gets injured I can just swing Cox into the ruck and bring Christensen in to my forward line. I like Stevie J although he is missing round 1. Is expected to get a lot of mid time and could be a top 5 forward by seasons end which is what I want. What do you guys think? How did I fare?

Mat0369

And bump since it is 3 pages deep without a response

frogjumper

Not a bad team. Have a good core. Interesting strategy taking the ruck option. Hopefully it will pay off.

Mat0369

I thought I would post my regular team as it stands right now in this thread as well.

The thread below I was testing out a couple of theories and had some test teams

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,72621.msg999887.html#msg999887

Right now as it stands my team looks like this

Goddard, Gibbs, Hibberd, Russell, Goodes, Luke Brown, Pittard, Terlich
Ablett, Beams, Murphy, Jack, Swallow, Koby Stevens, Wines, O'Meara, Viney, Kommer
Goldstein, Leuenberger, Rowe, Blicavs
Cox, Rockliff, Johnson, Kennedy, Karnezis, Varcoe, Petterd, Macaffer

It leaves me with $49,700 in cash, I would be missing Johnson for round 1 but I think he will score well enough to be worth it.

Blicavs if named will play the last game of the round, so if he is named and Leuenberger does not play I just slide in Blicavs as a round 1 filler. 

The other option is to downgrade Swallow to Moloney and upgrade Petterd to any forward under 500k

Shiftynev

Like the ruck strategy, midfielders are plentiful.

Mat0369

Quote from: Shiftynev on March 22, 2013, 06:30:20 PM
Like the ruck strategy, midfielders are plentiful.

What do you think of the regular team in post 4?

Mat0369

Made some more changes

Goddard, Gibbs, Hibberd, Russell, Goodes, Luke Brown, Pittard, Terlich
Ablett, Beams, Murphy, Jack, Moloney, Koby Stevens, Wines, O'Meara, Viney, Kommer
Goldstein, Leuenberger, Rowe, Blicavs
Cox, Rockliff, Johnson, Robinson, Kennedy, Karnezis, Varcoe, Macaffer

If Stevens is not named I can downgrade him to another rookie option (Kent/Mitchell) and if Lewis Stevenson is named I can shift Pittard to Stevenson to free up cash. I can then upgrade Robinson to someone like Roughy or Zorko. The extra mid price forward is due to a lack of rookie forward options. It also works as insurance for Leuey. I can move Rowe to the forward line, switch him with Cox and have a good forward mix.

Mat0369

So with Johnson being out for an extended period of time, I am not only screwed in my draft league, but I was going to sit on him in the regular SC and slot him in round 2. Robinson was only in as a temp forward while I decided on whomever I could afford.

I need to upgrade him and I am thinking of a few options

Option one - Pittard>Stevenson, Varcoe>Pettard, Robinson>Bartel, Johnson>Zorko, $7,700 left over

Option two - Pittard>Stevenson, Varcoe>Pettard Robinson>Bartel, Johnson>Roughead, Leuenberger>Bailey $2,500 left over

Option three -  Pittard>Stevenson, Varcoe>Pettard Robinson>Bartel, Johnson>Buddy, Berger>Currie  $116,300 left over

Mat0369

So with the teams being released I have to change a couple of things around. I am praying Spangher is named for the Hawks and I could slide whomever the hell I want in.

Mat0369

So I made a couple of trades last week and my team looks like this now. I have worked my way up the rankings again this week which has me sitting at 394. It says reverse trade because it is a screen cap I took before lockout last week.

This week I am intending to trade out Gawn for Nicholls. I am also tempted to trade out Rowe for Gorringe as one of them will likely be getting the number one ruck role week in week it. It also frees up a bit of cash and Rowe does not look like getting a game any time soon.

Round 12 the first move I intend to make is Brown>Birchall and also one of Kommer or Stevens>Hrovat.

The week after Stevens or Kommer will be traded to Tom Mitchell and O'Meara will become JPK/Selwood. I am thinking JPK as he has been more consistent. So that leaves me with a few decisions post bye.

Hanley is a certainty to come in at some point, same with Jobe. They were the two guys I was  looking at round 14. Now after I execute all these trades, I am hopefully looking at a team that looks like this after making 7 or 8 trades leaving me with 9 or 10 post round 14. 

Goddard, Gibbs, Hanley, Hibberd, Birchall, Goodes, Vlastuin, Thurlow/Docherty
Ablett, Pendlebury, Watson, JPK/Selwood, Jack, Griffen, Murphy, Priddis, Hrovat, Mitchell
Goldstein, Nic Nat, Nicholls, Rowe/Goringe
Cox, Buddy, Bartel, Rockliff, Stevie J, JJK, Macaffer, Staker

So the first question I have is do all these moves look ok?
Should I do the double ruck change this week or just go with the 1?
If I do make all these trades successfully, are Goodes/Vlastuin good enough to be a bottom defender?
It is a bit hard to predict at the moment as form is constantly changing, but if Goodes/Vlas are not good enough, who is an option?
Is JJK good enough to be my bottom forward or should he be traded to someone like Andrew Walker?
Would you trade Buddy before you would trade JJK looking on current form?

I might ask those last few questions again post byes but I am trying to plan as well as possible. I know what my gut is telling me, but other opinions don't hurt and might help confirm my gut feeling.

kilbluff1985

Yeah bringing in Gorringe and Nicholls makes sense to me

But next week I'd bring in Birchall for Brown and a round 11 premo for O'Meara like Cotchin for 550k

And bring in Hrovat for Kommer

The. After round 12 bring in Tom Mitchell if named for Cachia

Then after his bye I think you will have the cash to bring in Watson for Stevens

Mids will be

Ablett, Pendles, Jack, Murphy, Griffin, Priddis, Cotchin Watson, Mitchell, Hrovat- which looks good to me

Defense will be

Goddard, Gibbs, Hibberd, Birchall, Goodes, Vlastuin - also looks good to me

Mat0369

The initial plan was to hold Koby Stevens until round 14. My only problem with waiting that long to trade out Stevens as opposed to Ca$hia is that Cachia will continue to go up in price (hopefully 320 k at round 14) where Stevens and Kommer now have 30's in their rotations from last weeks scores. I am also not sure how serious Stevens injury is from the Port game. He was moved to full forward after half time and from what I read in the game blog could not even kick at goal when he has marked 30 out, which is why he had 10 handballs for the game. The bye might be enough for him to recover but he is one I will have to keep my eye on. I should have players to field 18 if I do hold onto Cachia in round 13, but the injury has made me alter my initial plan which was Kommer out round 12, Cachia and O'Meara out round 13 and Stevens out round 14.

I am not really sold on Cotchin either. I am actually not really sold on any of the round 11 premium mids bar Griffen which is why I targeted him last week. I am thinking JPK and Jobe are the two best available mids that I don't have, and the only thing that might tempt me away from JPK is how cheap Selwood is. What you have suggested would give me better coverage through the bye rounds, but if you were to pick one of JPK or Cotchin as to who will score more for the rest of the season, I think JPK has the edge.

Mat0369

And I might have a change of plans. The team as it stands

Luke Brown is out this week so I am thinking of offloading him to Birch this week as he is not playing anyway and doing a Gawn to Nicholls trade

That means next week it will be just one trade for strategy in getting Hrovat in for Kommer or Stevens pending teams and I can use my others for coverage and  the week after it will be my Kommer/Stevens/Cachia trade for Mitchell and O'Meara for JPK. The longer Carrazzo is out the longer Cachia will stay in the team. He and Curnow are effectively doing lock down roles weekly and doing them well.

Mat0369

With JJK out I made a last minute change. Out Kennedy, in Minson. It allows me to get Nicholls score in and it works for my bye structure. I am not a huge fan of Minno but he has been really good this year.

The 3 changes made this week, OUT: JJK, Brown and Gawn, IN: Minson, Birchall and Nicholls.

I will downgrade Kommer next week to get in Hrovat and free up some cash, the week after in comes Mitchell for Cachia/Stevens for more cash and O'Meara will become JPK.

Mat0369

Jumped up the rankings again this week and cut the difference back by 61 points. 553 points from the leader now and I set myself up well for the byes. Have been playing around with 1 trade this week, Kommer to Hrovat.

I should have around 20 this week which will work to my advantage. Round 13 I should have at least 18 so I won't lose much over the byes.