Main Menu

Martin on the trade table

Started by nrich102, March 15, 2013, 08:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grazz

To think i almost chopped him early, glad to see him delivering some great scores in 2013.

AFEV

Quote from: quinny88 on May 13, 2013, 12:48:13 AM
Quote from: elephants on May 13, 2013, 12:36:07 AM
Quote from: quinny88 on May 13, 2013, 12:31:06 AM
Quote from: elephants on May 13, 2013, 12:21:47 AM
I would take Dusty over Hurls for sure :P

Hey Toga, how about we give you NicNat for Cotchin + Martin?

Wouldn't trade cotchin for anyone in the afl!

Not even Pendles?

Hmm tough but still no. I think they are both stars but cotchin is a couple of years younger and potential to be just as good IMO. If I could pick to have any player in the afl come to Richmond it would be peddles though. Can't teach class
Really? Wow Cotchin is overrated..Don't have him top 5 in the league at the moment let alone better than Pendles...

quinny88

I never said he was better than pendles?
I said he's a couple of years younger and has potential to be just as good.

Explain to me how he is overrated Sid?  :o
It's one of the most used lines when people talk about cotchin but I don't understand how you can be "overrated" when at 22 years old you were runner up in the brownlow, all Australian, best and fairest, coaches association player of the year and named captain. Then start the following season averaging 30+ disposals a game?

Would like to hear your theory or anyone's for that matter on how he can be classed as overrated?

AFEV

Quote from: quinny88 on May 15, 2013, 02:19:28 PM

Explain to me how he is overrated Sid?
There is a 2 year age gap...Scott Pendlebury has established himself as one of the top 3 players in the competition and all evidence suggests he will maintain this position for at least the 5 years.
As opposed to Trent Cotchin who is not a top 5 player and while he probably will be eventually is not guaranteed to reach that height.
I can get why you wouldn't trade him, same reason I wouldn't trade Jobe for Pendlebury, because you don't trade your best players but Jobe is certainly not a better footballer than Scott (IMO).

& I think that Trent is just a tad overrated in general, as good as he is I feel like people get a bit too excited about him sometimes. Happy to be proven wrong though.

He isn't averaging 30+ disposals a game this season, well under in fact.
Fact is he hasn't been great this season, whatever excuse he may have - He isn't top 5 in any key mid stats this season. 19th in clearances per game, 13th in contested possessions per game, 8th in disposals. Just not a top 5 player AT THE MOMENT in my opinion. Although he is constantly rated in the top few players in the competition so slightly overrated IMHO.

TheAnt

He played on 1 leg against Geelong which brought his average disposals to under 30...he's averaging 28.3, which is more then Pendlebury...The overrated talk is just absolute garbage sorry.

quinny88

Quote from: Sid on May 15, 2013, 02:34:16 PM

Explain to me how he is overrated Sid?
There is a 2 year age gap...Scott Pendlebury has established himself as one of the top 3 players in the competition and all evidence suggests he will maintain this position for at least the 5 years.
As opposed to Trent Cotchin who is not a top 5 player and while he probably will be eventually is not guaranteed to reach that height.
I can get why you wouldn't trade him, same reason I wouldn't trade Jobe for Pendlebury, because you don't trade your best players but Jobe is certainly not a better footballer than Scott (IMO).

& I think that Trent is just a tad overrated in general, as good as he is I feel like people get a bit too excited about him sometimes. Happy to be proven wrong though.

He isn't averaging 30+ disposals a game this season, well under in fact.
Fact is he hasn't been great this season, whatever excuse he may have - He isn't top 5 in any key mid stats this season. 19th in clearances per game, 13th in contested possessions per game, 8th in disposals. Just not a top 5 player AT THE MOMENT in my opinion. Although he is constantly rated in the top few players in the competition so slightly overrated IMHO.

Yes a 2 year age gap.. thats a couple which is what i said?  ???
I just dont see how anyone can think he is overrated. He does everything you could ask of a gun midfielder and then some whilst being a natural leader.
Sorry he was averaging 30+ before the Geelong game but he is far from well under. 28.3 as Ant said.

Well you are entitled to your opinion but I dont think he is overrated at all and his awards and achievements at such a young age prove that.

I think if there was a draft to be held from the entire AFL playing list every coach would take Cotchin in their top 5

Ziplock

from a non-biased opinion, I'd trade cotchin for pendlebury.

If it came down to it, I'd trade any of our mids for pendles :P

quinny88

Quote from: Ziplock on May 15, 2013, 05:15:06 PM
from a non-biased opinion, I'd trade cotchin for pendlebury.

If it came down to it, I'd trade any of our mids for pendles :P

You wouldnt if he was at your team though lol. Why would anyone trade there captain with a massive future ahead of them.

Pendles is my favourite player outside of Richmond but I wouldnt trade our Captain for him

Ziplock

it's a pointless argument- collingwood wouldn't trade pendles for cotchin.

you almost never get elite players traded... and I really doubt that you would get straight swaps for elite mids.

Noz

I don't get why you guys don't just look at the stats

Trent Cotchin is statistically ranked the 21st best player in the game which makes him the 18th best midfielder in the game

Scott Pendleburry is statistically ranked the 5h best player in the game which makes him the 5th best midfielder in the game

Argument solved Cotchin is no where close to Pendles.

Toga

@Noz, would you trade Boak for Steele Sidebottom?

#SameArgument

Noz

See you don't even look at stats i clearly show you stats that have been giving to the general public by champion data clearly proving to you that Cotchin is not even statistically ranked in the top 20 players for the last 40 games.

Whats your response you bring in 2 players that aren't even part of this conversation.

Bill Manspeaker

It's one of the most used lines when people talk about cotchin but I don't understand how you can be "overrated" when at 22 years old you were runner up in the brownlow, all Australian, best and fairest, coaches association player of the year and named captain.Then start the following season averaging 30+ disposals a game?

Would like to hear your theory or anyone's for that matter on how he can be classed as overrated?

i'm with you quinny, Cotchin is a machine, and is the next Ablett. end of story

AFEV

Quote from: brad on May 15, 2013, 07:53:17 PM

It's one of the most used lines when people talk about cotchin but I don't understand how you can be "overrated" when at 22 years old you were runner up in the brownlow, all Australian, best and fairest, coaches association player of the year and named captain.Then start the following season averaging 30+ disposals a game?

i'm with you quinny, Cotchin is a machine, and is the next Ablett. end of story
It's stuff like this. How can you possibly say he will even approach the heights of the best player since the turn of the century!?!

Bill Manspeaker

opinion.

i don't actually think he'll be as good as Ablett, just be looked at as the best player in the comp and be able to do freakish things.

he's awesome to watch.