Main Menu

Martin on the trade table

Started by nrich102, March 15, 2013, 08:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chelskiman

Quote from: Noz on March 15, 2013, 03:02:15 PMThey have invested a lot in Martin and by now they expected him to be a huge star which hasn't turned out that way...yet. Martin has been involved in quite a few off field incidents which even involved the sacking of then team mate Connors.

Martin is 21, ffs.  It's not as if he's like 26 or 27 and has been plagued with controversy his entire career.  As I said before, he's still a kid.  We were all stupid at 21.  I know I was.  Yes, I know I'm not an AFL star, but boys will boys at that age.  He will mature, of that I'm sure, and I can even see it starting to happen now.  He's working really hard in training if the reports are to be believed (which they should be as there's no reason to make that up) and, as quinny mentioned, he's got himself a part time job.

You also can't blame Connors getting the sack on him.  We gave Connors more than enough chances and he knew he was on his last warning.  It had nothing to do with Martin's indiscretion.

quinny88

I just watched the video that the article was taken from and Lyon barely even eludes to him being traded. He just said he was under the pump and then the reporter asked would they consider trading him and he said "its not beyond the realms of possibilty"..... Then that turns into a headline on the AFL website saying "Garry Lyon tells AFL.com.au's Footy Focus that Richmond may consider trading young star Dustin Martin"  ::) Typical journalism, taking one line and spinning it into something its not

Noz

Maybe I was wrong to say the investing thing.

I do think that Martin was involved in a few other off field incidents unless I am just thinking of Connors and getting the 2 mixed up.

I remember reading an article about how Martin is finding it very difficult learning life skills as an AFL footballer and Richmond are trying hard to improve his attitude but maybe a change of scenery would be best.

If Martin has an outburst it would embarrass the club and Richmond wouldn't want that. I would love to see Martin stay at Richmond don't get me wrong but if Martin sees this article perhaps he might realise that he needs to be a but more smarter with the way he goes about his things.

Either that or get Martin a role model another bloke who found it hard adjusting to AFL live and help him through that. Ben Cousins slightly effected him in a bad way.

Chelskiman

Quote from: Noz on March 15, 2013, 05:40:50 PM
I remember reading an article about how Martin is finding it very difficult learning life skills as an AFL footballer and Richmond are trying hard to improve his attitude but maybe a change of scenery would be best.

I think the fact he's got himself a job is a massive step in learning "life skills".  At 21 a change of scenery is not what is best for him.  In fact, that could unsettle him even more.  He needs time to settle down, and we will give him time if he continues to put the effort in, and that's what he is seemingly doing at the moment.

I think this is all blowing way out or proportion.  He had one minor issue and now he's suddenly the bad boy of the AFL.  Yes, I realise he's no saint, but he's just a kid trying to find his way.  He's been great this pre-season in the majority of our matches, and I think he's going to have a good year.  At the very least he will improve on last year and get back to his season 2 form.  You may think that he's a year behind if he's still at season 2 form after his 4th season, but I think we just gotta take baby steps with Martin.  He will be a star, but it doesn't mean he has to be a full blown superstar at 22 years of age.  By the time he's 24/25 he will be the gun we all know he can, and will, be.

tbagrocks

Now the Port supporters are getting stuck into the Richmond spuds ;D  Hartlett is better than Martin :P

quinny88

Quote from: Chelskiman on March 15, 2013, 05:50:20 PM
Quote from: Noz on March 15, 2013, 05:40:50 PM

I think the fact he's got himself a job is a massive step in learning "life skills".  At 21 a change of scenery is not what is best for him.  In fact, that could unsettle him even more.  He needs time to settle down, and we will give him time if he continues to put the effort in, and that's what he is seemingly doing at the moment.

I think this is all blowing way out or proportion.  He had one minor issue and now he's suddenly the bad boy of the AFL.  Yes, I realise he's no saint, but he's just a kid trying to find his way.  He's been great this pre-season in the majority of our matches, and I think he's going to have a good year.  At the very least he will improve on last year and get back to his season 2 form.  You may think that he's a year behind if he's still at season 2 form after his 4th season, but I think we just gotta take baby steps with Martin.  He will be a star, but it doesn't mean he has to be a full blown superstar at 22 years of age.  By the time he's 24/25 he will be the gun we all know he can, and will, be.

The RFC sell papers thats why Chels. If he played for someone like the western bulldogs no one would give a stuff.
I mean one of their young guns, Libba, was found passed out on drugs, out the front of a club with drugs on him and it got talked about for 2 minutes and now no one cares lol

Noz

The fact that he was being investigated by the Australian Vederal Police just last month meaning he is slowly becoming the bad boy of the AFL. The impact Cousins had would be much worse in the long run I believe.

Good tbag  :)

TheAnt

Quote from: Noz on March 15, 2013, 06:49:03 PM
The fact that he was being investigated by the Australian Vederal Police just last month meaning he is slowly becoming the bad boy of the AFL. The impact Cousins had would be much worse in the long run I believe.

Is that why Cotchin said he was a massive influence on himself? lol.

Noz

Quote from: TheAnt on March 15, 2013, 08:18:06 PM

Oh Cotchin influenced him did he? I guess it really worked I mean with the police and all.

Cotchin brings peace to AFL much like Ghandi.

AFEV

While I think that Dustin's indiscretions are a little more than him acting his age...Stupid article. Liberatore, Hurley etc. have had serious off-field issues in the past but their clubs have stuck with them.

Would require consistent screw-ups over an extended period of time (Fevola) for them to abandon such an important player.
Not that Gary Lyon even said they would. ::)

TheAnt

Quote from: Noz on March 15, 2013, 08:48:22 PM
Quote from: TheAnt on March 15, 2013, 08:18:06 PM

Oh Cotchin influenced him did he? I guess it really worked I mean with the police and all.

Cotchin brings peace to AFL much like Ghandi.
I mean Cousins impact on Cotchin.

Regardless, the crap Martin recieves is astonishing to me..3 years, only just starting to come into breakout territory, put pressure on by everyone from the outside and still has a better year then Rich, Cotchin (In their third years) and numerous other recent 'breakout players' and we're criticising him, sure he has some off-field issues but they're clearly trying to get that sorted. Should we be putting pressure on Trengove, Scully to deliver? What about Cunnington who has shown just glimpses...Jake Melksham? Howard? Martin was arguably the best 21 year old in the game behind Fyfe and Talia... No one's putting pressure on anyone else from the draft to deliver, so Martin should be given that time aswell.

tbagrocks

Pitty Dusty wants to be a bikie because his dad is ::)  you can't argue with that!

Now he can still have a great football career but expect contraversy the whole way!

TheAnt

Quote from: tbagrocks on March 15, 2013, 09:50:37 PM
Pitty Dusty wants to be a bikie because his dad is ::)  you can't argue with that!
Oh ok because being a bikie would be a much better life then a footballer.  ::)

Noz

Trengrove being captain must be pretty bad
Scullys knees have held him back
Cunnington has struggled with the stack of competition
Howard has had injuries
Melksham has became one of Essendon's best

I suppose being captain Trengrove doesn't have pressure
Sculls being the million dollar man no pressure
Howard plucked from nowhere trying to replace Gilbee one of the best defenders in the past 15 years
Talia trying to cover the losses of Bock and Davis

Morrabito, Rohan, Butcher, Pittard, Menzel have all struggled with injuries

Christensen, Vardy, Jetta, Carlisle, Bastinac, Lucas all have done some good things

But your right no pressure only Martin

Cousins was not a good role model on Martin

Martin is not the best 21 year old in the game

TheAnt

Quote from: Noz on March 15, 2013, 10:02:58 PM
Trengrove being captain must be pretty bad
Scullys knees have held him back
Cunnington has struggled with the stack of competition
Howard has had injuries
Melksham has became one of Essendon's best

I suppose being captain Trengrove doesn't have pressure
Sculls being the million dollar man no pressure
Howard plucked from nowhere trying to replace Gilbee one of the best defenders in the past 15 years
Talia trying to cover the losses of Bock and Davis

Morrabito, Rohan, Butcher, Pittard, Menzel have all struggled with injuries

Christensen, Vardy, Jetta, Carlisle, Bastinac, Lucas all have done some good things

But your right no pressure only Martin

Cousins was not a good role model on Martin

Martin is not the best 21 year old in the game
First of never said Martin was.

Second of all good things but no where near as good as what Martin has shown. Howard wasn't thrown into the deep-end, the bulldogs still had a host of old players at that time, Martins coming up and straight away has to be one of the best midfielders at Richmond? As for Bastinac, you think Cotchin, Tuck and Deledio aren't competition?+Foley, Grigg  ::) Pretty sure the only midfielder who has truly stamped himself on the game at North is Swallow.

Scully put that directly on himself by leaving, regardless he should've stood out further, in actuality he was outshone by a few rookies.

There is no way Melksham is one of Essendon's best, ask any Essendon supporter.

I did say Talia had a better year then Martin.

Let's go back a year in the draft, Watts, Rich, Yarran all haven't quite cemented themselves as amazing players. Hill gets tagged out of games easily.

Beams, Sidebottom and Shuey all broke out, in their fourth year as well. Michael Hurley has shown glimpses but has never been consistent.

The rest of the players you mentioned barely get a word in the media or on forums, Martin is regarded as a burn-man and someone who will never make it because he had a bad year in just his third season. It is a ridiculous statement to make.