Martin on the trade table

Started by nrich102, March 15, 2013, 08:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toga

Great game from Dusty today! 8)

tbagrocks

Has the penny dropped? Great running! demanded the ball, BOG, keep it up

Noz

Wingard is making a bigger impact in his second year than Martin was but i suppose thats irrevlant now because Martin played a good game. If it wasnt for Chad we would of lost.

Toga

Yeah my comment was before the Port game yesterday but Chad had another ripper as well...

Both good young players making a big impact this week!

Noz

It was nice to see Martin do well, I just hope he can keep it up i think stastically his loves facing the Bulldogs and he got something like 18 handball recieves he just dominated the game.

Was that the best game you have ever seen him play?

35 disposals and 10 marks plus 3 tackles and 2.1 would surely have to be up their in his top matches.

Toga

Yeah Noz I have to say from what I can remember that is the best game I have seen Dusty play... I mean in his first and second seasons he had glimpses of brilliance and was consistently decent, last year was a bit of a let down, but yesterday he just killed them!

As you said, was dominant in handball receives and was just cutting up the Bulldogs' lines all day... Was awesome to watch! :o

Really hope he can take that form and confidence into the rest of the year, starting with a big game vs the pies next week.

Dudge

I think yesterday he showed all of us what he is capable of. He's always had enormous talent, and it's great he delivered, especially for our fantasy teams ;D. Good on him, and yes Chad is starting to grow in confidence aswell

Grazz

As i said earlier i always knew keeping him in my team for 26 games would pay off at some stage and i was right. :P
Hope it's the start of a very big year for him and us owners. On a sadder note yeh Wingard was terrific yesterday, sob sob. :(

Toga

Anyone see the bit on Dusty in this?? :o

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2013-04-15/jack-watts-could-be-allaustralian

He was absolutely spent and could hardly pick himself up... How did he come out and rack up 35?! :o

TeeJay

Martin played a great game but its far from his best. I recall games where he had 30+ touches and kicked 4 or 5 goals

TeeJay

Round 5 2011 against north melbourne.
33 disposals, 4 goals. 168 sc points.

That was in his second year when he averaged 99 so Wingard is going to have to keep it up for the whole season before anyone can say he's having a better second season that dusty

quinny88

Ok Noz, its 6 weeks in now so you have seen enough to form an opinion with some form guide and stats to back it up.
Ill start by saying that Wingard has impressed me so far. He is a mile ahead of where I thought he would be I must admit but I still see that being highly based on some soft opposition and not sure how long it will last for any of the young port boys.

So of our Criteria lets see where they are at:

- Brownlow votes = Unknown
- B&F placing = Unknown
- Avg disposals = Martin- 23.5  Wingard- 21.6
- Total goals = Martin- 6  Wingard- 14
- DT avg = Martin- 96.3  Wingard- 88.3
- SC avg = Martin- 107.8  Wingard- 106.2

Very close in all areas apart from the goal kicking. I suspect Wingard would have a vote or 2 extra in the brownlow given that Port have had 5 wins and i think they would both be in the top 5 in their clubs b&f voting. Closer than I thought it would be at this stage. Wingard can thank his high goal kicking numbers on the recruitment of Neade as he has hand fed him about 10 of those I reckon. Still think Martin will lead in all areas by seasons end but Wingard has been impressive early.

Another important thing I think we should take into acount is opposition..
Wingard:
VS Top 8 opponents= 0

Martin
VS Top 8 opponents= 3 (4 if Carlton beat Melbourne tommorow)

Next review ill do is after round 10 in the rd 11 bye. Half way mark of the year and Richmond and Port share the bye so we will see where they stand then.

TeeJay

Wasting your time with stats and logic quinny88....

Noz only makes a comment when Martin has a quiet game or Wingard plays a good one

Noz

Martin has impressed me as well he is starting to put four quarters together and become a pivotal member of the Richmond team week in week out. His off field drams have seemed to have settled down but there are some issues with his on field attitude i believe. A couple of times this season he has shown his frustration with the Richmond benching staff as they won't let him come off the ground. Not much to take notice of though.

Wingard has stepped it up this season and is starting to loom as a damaging playing at Port and the fact is that opposition teams will not tag him as we have other midfielders who are more damaging around the ground (Hartlett, Boak) really matured in the past 6 months and becoming a great player.

Just hoping come next week we can see Wingard line up against Martin once or twice in the game. Two of the better youngsters in our game going against each other could be something great to see.

The next step in Martin's game would be to elevate himself when guys like Cotchin and Deledio are getting hard tags he needs to step up then and become the go to man in the midfield. I think he did that job well last night and is one of the few players that can hold their head up high.

quinny88

Dont recall any 1 on 1 match ups with Dusty and Wingnuts today but Dusty certainly took the cake for better game  8)
Turning into more of a star every day. Not bad for a troubled drug lord