Main Menu

Martin

Started by Blues Blues Blues, March 09, 2013, 03:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorRush

Had him for the last 2 years, and was going to have him again, but think I'll save 200k and go Karnezis/Cornelius and use the money elsewhere.
Like others have said, I realise NAB cup is not the real deal, but I just wanna see some effort :)

NFI Police

Not sure why everyone uses the NAB cup as an excuse for a player to perform poorly. I played football for 30 years which included trial matches and I took pride in my performance in every match i played. Every player should attack a contest to win the ball or the match no matter of the circumstances.

bottlemart

Had a look at Martin, but have put a line through him now.

He's not quite premium, so better options at the top end,  Cox, Buddy, Tex and others, and there are better options in the 200-300 range.  Karnezis is looking very good.

So it's a No for me on Martin.

StuL

Neck tatts are yesterdays regular tatts. They say I'm a loose cannon. So don't pick me in DT.

DoctorRush

Quote from: NFI Police on March 09, 2013, 11:27:48 PM
Not sure why everyone uses the NAB cup as an excuse for a player to perform poorly. I played football for 30 years which included trial matches and I took pride in my performance in every match i played. Every player should attack a contest to win the ball or the match no matter of the circumstances.
Cheer for this comment !!
This is exactly how I feel.
The old saying you're taught at Under 10s "Practice like you Play"

Mykonos FC

Lol I think Karnezis may be fools' gold... 2013's Trollby (Golby - remember that shower head?)

quinny88

Quote from: NFI Police on March 09, 2013, 11:27:48 PM

Ah mate, sorry but this isnt the local magoos. This is AFL, its a full time career where players are managed to within minute by minute game time and there job is to play 22 games of football. If that means sacrificing some effort in the nab cup I think they are going to do it.
Chris Judd would have played the past 3 weeks if it was the H&A season but he's not because he is a gun player and they want him ready for the actual season. Are you dissapointed in him for not playing and giving 100%?

quinny88

And people are acting like he didnt get a kick?
He still had 15 possessions and 5 marks

Mat0369

Quote from: quinny88 on March 10, 2013, 12:45:27 AM

I like you think the NAB means nothing, but I had Martin last season, he pissed me off and I won't be picking him again like a lot of people won't pick Broughton. It has nothing to do with his NAB form for me but I can see why there is a lot of hysteria surrounding the two guys in question, one being Martin and the other Goldstein. They are both coming off disappointing seasons and people want to see something from them in the pre-season to warrant their selection in their fantasy teams. Last year the Dusty hype train started because he smashed it in the NAB and then backed it up with nothing in the regular season. Honestly I believe the NAB means nothing unless it is too try guys in new positions, have them return from injuries or see how the rookies go. However I would not be comparing a C Judd who has done it year in year out and been a proven commodity compared to Martin. I know what you were getting at, but still, Martin is young, yes he should just be using these games to get the miles into his legs, but he should also be stamping himself into these games in the short amount of time he is playing. Take a look at Tex Walker. He had a shocking first outing against the Cats, but then absolutely ripped Carlton to shreds. He is in the same age bracket. Dangerfield is the other. I think it is their lack of 'impact' that is putting people off. The same thing has been happening with Goldy (who I have in my team currently) and all the hype around Currie. Yes Currie had a lot of hit outs, but anyone who watched the game could see they were nothing hit outs against inferior opposition. There is no question both Martin and Goldstein will start round 1, it is just a question on what their output will be fantasy wise.

quinny88

Quote from: Mat0369 on March 10, 2013, 01:09:57 AM
Quote from: quinny88 on March 10, 2013, 12:45:27 AM

I like you think the NAB means nothing, but I had Martin last season, he pissed me off and I won't be picking him again like a lot of people won't pick Broughton. It has nothing to do with his NAB form for me but I can see why there is a lot of hysteria surrounding the two guys in question, one being Martin and the other Goldstein. They are both coming off disappointing seasons and people want to see something from them in the pre-season to warrant their selection in their fantasy teams. Last year the Dusty hype train started because he smashed it in the NAB and then backed it up with nothing in the regular season. Honestly I believe the NAB means nothing unless it is too try guys in new positions, have them return from injuries or see how the rookies go. However I would not be comparing a C Judd who has done it year in year out and been a proven commodity compared to Martin. I know what you were getting at, but still, Martin is young, yes he should just be using these games to get the miles into his legs, but he should also be stamping himself into these games in the short amount of time he is playing. Take a look at Tex Walker. He had a shocking first outing against the Cats, but then absolutely ripped Carlton to shreds. He is in the same age bracket. Dangerfield is the other. I think it is their lack of 'impact' that is putting people off. The same thing has been happening with Goldy (who I have in my team currently) and all the hype around Currie. Yes Currie had a lot of hit outs, but anyone who watched the game could see they were nothing hit outs against inferior opposition. There is no question both Martin and Goldstein will start round 1, it is just a question on what their output will be fantasy wise.

I hear what your saying mate but have you been watching Richmonds games? Martin was in the best players every game this pre season including the game against the all stars.. This is his first quiet game and he wasnt that bad lol. I thought the whole team were terrible. Even Cotchin had 6 turnovers

NFI Police

I think you missed the point quinny..I meant that when a player has crossed the white line and is playing, his personal pride in not liking to be beaten in a contest should not matter whether it is a NAB cup or a premiership match. And i dont think the SANFL before the AFL started up was quite the "local magoos".

quinny88

Quote from: NFI Police on March 10, 2013, 01:15:01 AM
I think you missed the point quinny..I meant that when a player has crossed the white line and is playing, his personal pride in not liking to be beaten in a contest should not matter whether it is a NAB cup or a premiership match. And i dont think the SANFL before the AFL started up was quite the "local magoos".

Well they dont mate? Thats just a fact. If they were all giving there all do you think Brisbane and Carlton would be playing in the Grand final? Even if you did play in the SANFL in the 70's or 80's or whenever your claiming its still a million miles away from the full time profession playing in the AFL is in 2013. You cant expect blokes to give their all in games that mean nothing when they want to play off in Finals in 6 months time

Mat0369

Quote from: quinny88 on March 10, 2013, 01:13:15 AM
I hear what your saying mate but have you been watching Richmonds games? Martin was in the best players every game this pre season including the game against the all stars.. This is his first quiet game and he wasnt that bad lol. I thought the whole team were terrible. Even Cotchin had 6 turnovers

I have watched them all apart from the first 3 quarters of the game today and the all stars since I could not get it televised. Like I said, with my opinion from Martin it is from last season, not 3 meaningless games, but I think in terms of where other people have formed theirs is due to the fact they thought he would tear a game apart in the pre-season. From what I remember he got a lot of unnoticed touches against the Bombers but he racked it up before being subbed. In the two shorter versions of the game he had most of his touches forward of center. People will jump on a bandwagon regardless of how ill-informed the opinion is.

NFI Police

I think you missed the point again..im not talking at the selection table, I agree teams field weakened teams, but if a player has a 50/50 contest in any game of football they will give 100% effort even in the NAB cup, if they dont then they shouldnt be wearing the guensey. They need to set expectations for the kids playing alongside them. Im not bagging Dustin Martin, I actually rate him, i would rather hear he had a slightly quieter day than usual (even though i didnt think he was that bad) than say he didnt try because it was the NAB cup because I believe that disrespects the player more

quinny88

Quote from: NFI Police on March 10, 2013, 01:34:32 AM
I think you missed the point again..im not talking at the selection table, I agree teams field weakened teams, but if a player has a 50/50 contest in any game of football they will give 100% effort even in the NAB cup, if they dont then they shouldnt be wearing the guensey. They need to set expectations for the kids playing alongside them. Im not bagging Dustin Martin, I actually rate him, i would rather hear he had a slightly quieter day than usual (even though i didnt think he was that bad) than say he didnt try because it was the NAB cup because I believe that disrespects the player more

I dont think they dont try at all but to say that every player that takes the field is giving 100% in the nab cup is a bit naive.
They just dont. Its a mental thing. It doesnt mean that much to most of them and it never will.

Essendon fielded a close to full strength side against a Richmond Side with 10 of its starting players out last week and Richmond still won. If Essendons side gave 100% they would have won by 10 goals
Hawthorn today had 10 out of their starting side and nearly beat Richmond at close to full strength. Again Richmond would have won by 10 goals if they all gave it there all