Main Menu

Martin

Started by Blues Blues Blues, March 09, 2013, 03:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quinny88

I thought it was common knowledge that players dont give it there all in the pre season games?
Been that way for as long as ive been watching footy  :o

NFI Police

Not really sure how you can "half try" in a football match doesnt make sense and you would stand out like a sore thumb. I think it seems that way because a lot of the kids make mistakes and makes the games not at their usual standard rather than not trying.

quinny88

Quote from: NFI Police on March 10, 2013, 02:10:39 AM
Not really sure how you can "half try" in a football match doesnt make sense and you would stand out like a sore thumb. I think it seems that way because a lot of the kids make mistakes and makes the games not at their usual standard rather than not trying.

Its just a mental thing. Players just arent as interested as they are in the real stuff.

quinny88

And not every team plays there kids. Like I said why would Richmonds team of Kids beat Essendons full strength team if Essendon were giving 100%? Same deal today, Why would hawthorn nearly beat Richmond when they were missing 10 of their starting players yet we were nearly full strength? Compare this weekends footy with the intensity of round 1 in 2 weeks time. Worlds apart

quinny88

Its not actually smart for players to give 100%, 100% of the time. They have to manage themselves.
Lets say Collingwood play GWS in round 22. Then play in a Final the next week. Do you think they are all going out there against GWS and giving 100%? Even if the coach tells them to they arent going to. Half of football is mental and mentally players cant be as interested in meaningless games and nab cup games as real games so therefore wont give 100%.

Marstar

A professional is what a professional does.  The result doesn't matter, what matters is the performance. You either have the mental edge to get the most out of a meaningless game, to ensure you are primed for round1 .... or your don't.

Has Dusty turned on the Jets for a couple quarters to test his limits? *Cue Top Gun - Highways to the Dangerfield ...errrr Zone*

Has he shown that breakout spark we saw last NAB series?

Almost premium or almost Top10 SC forwards sitting at F7 won't cut it this year (even if he get's back to his 100ave) ... Only six spots for 2013 and Cox, Ryder & N.Nat have joined the party.

When Dusty comes out with something to prove, i think most people will be happy to pay the extra coin that they have made from  their rookies.

*puts on a Jamaican accent*

Until then it a gamble to Rich, mon.

sammy123

how much TOG did martin get

23rookie23

I was not going to post anything here but Quinny everyone is entitled to their opinion and your one eyed stubborness to the point of disrespecting a former SANFL player pretty much sums you up!

Your examples are rubish with crystal ball assumptions of this team "would" beat this team if it wasn't NAB etc. If your that good then quit your job and become a professional punter mate!

Cuz the day any footy player hears that siren and does not give 100% at the contest they can hang up their boots. Yes players are managed and this is nothing new. Player management is not just NAB its the entire year.

Anyone that thinks an AFL player or any player worth their salt would look at a 50/50 and think "na I am not hitting that as I might get hurt and quinny said its just NAB" is kidding them selves. You may as well say a Shark would turn its nose away from a bleeding fish in the ocean.

NFI Police

If you think a player stops and has a think about the importance of game halfway through a marking contest or attemting to tackle someone then you have never pulled on a pair of boots. Yeah sure pre game may be a bit more relaxed and the result doesnt matter, but if a player has any pride whatsoever every contest they are involved in they want to win...it called "white line fever"..probably an example of this is the tanking games...coaches positioning and selections were questioned, not the players efforts!!!

hawkers65

Quote from: 23rookie23 on March 10, 2013, 10:07:39 AM
I was not going to post anything here but Quinny everyone is entitled to their opinion and your one eyed stubborness to the point of disrespecting a former SANFL player pretty much sums you up!

Your examples are rubish with crystal ball assumptions of this team "would" beat this team if it wasn't NAB etc. If your that good then quit your job and become a professional punter mate!

Cuz the day any footy player hears that siren and does not give 100% at the contest they can hang up their boots. Yes players are managed and this is nothing new. Player management is not just NAB its the entire year.

Anyone that thinks an AFL player or any player worth their salt would look at a 50/50 and think "na I am not hitting that as I might get hurt and quinny said its just NAB" is kidding them selves. You may as well say a Shark would turn its nose away from a bleeding fish in the ocean.

So, your trying to say that everyone and every team tries 100%? Then why did Hawthorn loose to 3 of the showertiest clubs and Richmond?

felsty

Quote from: hawkers65 on March 10, 2013, 10:16:04 AM

So, your trying to say that everyone and every team tries 100%? Then why did Hawthorn loose to 3 of the showertiest clubs and Richmond?

Didn't have a full strength side in compared to the other teams? Pretty sure they were experimenting a bit too.. Franklin up the ground (didn't hit the scoreboard), Roughead as a key back? And absolutely no stars in the on ball brigade?

23rookie23

^^^^^this^^^^^

Hawkers I am not posting a reasing for the games result as the result has more factors at play than each players individual effort as stated above.

I am simply commenting on an AFL players effort at the pill and to say that they are not 100% at it cuz its NAB is just silly.

Its instinct and is built in from the lowest level to the highest and these blokes are not running out onto the field and deciding at every contest to pull out cuz its NAB or not running to the next cuz its NAB.

Given this then yes there is somthing to be taken from each performance to consider for fantasy selections. If there was not we would noit be analysing it. The tough bit is to work out what parts are important and what are not.

mickmars

First time poster.
+1

quinny88

I can't believe I'm debating this. Do you people watch football? If you think that every player in the nab cup is giving 100% then you all have rocks in your head. It's the pre season! Players aren't giving there all! It's common sense

Mykonos FC

ahhh so... Dustin Martin - If he could get to a 100 average I would take that to be honest particularly as he is priced at a 90 average.