Main Menu

Berger + Rookie Ruck

Started by Spanner221, March 04, 2013, 04:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spanner221

I was just looking at some teams over on afl dreamers and noticed this ruck strat which hasn't been spoken about on here yet so I figured I should bring it up.

With the forward rookies looking as bad as they are and the ruck rookies actually looking very tempting why not start cox in the fwd line with a ruck line something like: berger, currie, daw, rowe? Obviously this means that Macaffer will have to start on the bench which is a downer, but I am interested in people thoughts on this.

spasticnut

I have been very tempted to start Leuenberger and Currie/Row etc. The money that will come out of this would be greattttt. BUT, Leuenberger is too much of a risk as first ruck and i cant bring myself to do it. This is a good thread i also want to see other peoples thoughts on this.

Chopps

having cox in the forward line, might as well play him as r1 and put a better rookie in the forward line, there ll be some that play

Pokerface

Quote from: Chopps on March 04, 2013, 04:53:25 PM
having cox in the forward line, might as well play him as r1 and put a better rookie in the forward line, there ll be some that play
if you know who they are i'd love to know

shaker

I am having second thoughts on leuy all together he would want to come out and play nearly a full match next game one and a bit quarters is not enough to convince me . It might take him half the season to get up and going , to many points lost by then . So if he does not perform this week he will be shown the door.

sweathog73

This is exactly what I'm going to do - Maric & Leu with Rowe the DPP to swap with Cox as my F1 should I require it. Macaffer as coverage on the bench of fwds. If Leu stays fit and scores well, I'll have three big midfield scorers. Hopefully!

Lions01

Quote from: shaker on March 04, 2013, 05:34:51 PM
I am having second thoughts on leuy all together he would want to come out and play nearly a full match next game one and a bit quarters is not enough to convince me . It might take him half the season to get up and going , to many points lost by then . So if he does not perform this week he will be shown the door.

Leuy has been manage heavily over the preseason, he was nearing a return towards the end of last season I've got little doubt about his fitness and being ready for round 1, hopefully blows a few cob webs out over the next 2 weeks.

My biggest concern will be his role in the side, everything is indicating big minutes up forward (probably a 50/50 split with Martin at this stage) I cant see Leuy average what people are predicting, somewhere around 75-80 mark Im prediciting a nice stepping stone to a premium.

RookieDTer

Having burger is less of a problem, given the significant mass of people that DO have him :)

Could almost do -Burger +O'Hailpin.

O'Hailpin should be in GWS best 22 and earn enough points? No reason he can't double to $300k?

If he doesn't play every match, I still have Rowe as a DPP and Roughead in my Fwd line.

Just means Macaffer comes off my Fwd Bench and into my Fwds.

Alternatively, I still have Currie on my Ruck bench.

Hagebear

Luey isn't the main concern for me. He looked alright the other night when he came on and think he'll be alright come rd1 but it's the rookies I don't trust. I think Currie is the best bet at this stage, while I think Daw and Rowe will struggle to get games so couldn't risk them to be a R2. Last year Giles, Stephenson and Redden didn't have much competition due to injuries whereas these guys are not 1st choice rucks at their clubs.

Spanner221

Think I may be buying into the Currie hype, and to a lesser extent the hype around the like of Rowe, Gorringe etc. You are probably absolutely right about the js of these ruck rookies just trying to work out a way around the lack of fwd rookies issue although being able to switch in cox does seem to reduce the risks involved.

Note: I am not doing this just throwing the idea out there.

timmyparso

Gorringe, although likely to play games is looking pretty average in the NAB cup.

Currie - with Goldy playing like he is, can Currie take down the No 1 ruck position at NM??

With Jarred Waite injury at Carlton, Rowe my get an early opportuinty in Cartlon forward line.

Pokerface

Quote from: timmyparso on March 05, 2013, 11:00:25 AM
Gorringe, although likely to play games is looking pretty average in the NAB cup.

Currie - with Goldy playing like he is, can Currie take down the No 1 ruck position at NM??

With Jarred Waite injury at Carlton, Rowe my get an early opportuinty in Cartlon forward line.
Don't think Rowe will be getting an immediate gig with Waite out, he still has Kruezer, Hampson, Warnock, Casboult ahead of him in the big man stakes.
Witt is the other I think will get some decent job security, with Hudson on the rookie list.

nostradamus

l'm going a litle different.....my rucks are Maric, Luey, Currie, Rowe and am having Cox fwd. Rowe will be there purely as the dpp link.
My reason for having Luey is as a cash cow and to trade him for a fallen Premo fwd when the time is right (and move Coxy into the rucks).....maybe Dale Thomas if he has a slow return or Stevie J if he has a mid season dip

timmyparso

Quote from: Pokerface on March 05, 2013, 01:54:57 PM
Quote from: timmyparso on March 05, 2013, 11:00:25 AM

Don't think Rowe will be getting an immediate gig with Waite out, he still has Kruezer, Hampson, Warnock, Casboult ahead of him in the big man stakes.
Witt is the other I think will get some decent job security, with Hudson on the rookie list.

Witts is playing well but with Jolly and the big Q stick up forward as backup is there any room for Witts?

Spanner221

People in Collingwood have mentioned many a time that Jolly wont be playing every week and that they want to get games into witts.

The key question in going with this structure would be if you believe that 2 of currie, daw, witts, gorringe etc (Isn't one of currie and daw going to be playing every game anyway?) will have a better combined js and cash generation then a forward rookie. With neade and lee being the most common picks for fwd rookie's atm and both don't look like they will get regular games let alone average above 50. As most people look like they are going with a 4-1-caff fwd line this strategy would save the ~130k spent on the midpricer. 

My biggest problem with this though is that I just don't trust berger to get up.