A different forward approach

Started by quinny88, March 04, 2013, 02:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quinny88

I am having a nightmare of a time trying to decide on 4 prem forwards. I have cox, rocky and martin locked in but I have doubts over every other prem forward at this stage. my reasons for this are explained in this thread http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,72918.msg1004707.html#msg1004707

What do people think about starting with a 3 prem forward line?
Most people think it is better to stack the forward line due to the lack of forward rookies but if I was to introduce both varcoe and Byrnes to my forward line it wouldn't be so bad.

Forward line would look like:

Cox, Rockliff, Martin, Varcoe, Byrnes, Macaffer (Lee, rookie)

Varcoe and Byrnes could be replaced by a number of mid pricers like Lecras, Knights, Petterd etc. I will decide on that round 1 as well as the last rookie place.

What do people think of this kind of setup though?

quinny88

P.s this would mean I could turn yarran into someone like Hartlett at D4 and Goldy into someone like big Ivan? Or get in someone like Marc Murphy or mundy in at M5 instead of Moloney

tor01doc

I think your F8 sums it up.

There are no F8's (fates?).

Seem to be more D8's (dates?).

I'll stack my forwards and get on with my date.

Can't trust it to fate!  ;D

quinny88

Quote from: tor01doc on March 04, 2013, 02:31:31 PM
I think your F8 sums it up.

There are no F8's (fates?).

Seem to be more D8's (dates?).

I'll stack my forwards and get on with my date.

Can't trust it to fate!  ;D

Who do you think I should use as my other prem forward though? There will be a rookie forward named, I'm just leaving it blank for now because I don't know who it will be yet

Sabretooth Tigers

;)
If you have the cash why not start LeCras ?? He'll make money, score well and could just as easy become a keeper.

ubeaut

quinny88

Quote from: Sabretooth Tigers on March 04, 2013, 02:41:40 PM
;)
If you have the cash why not start LeCras ?? He'll make money, score well and could just as easy become a keeper.

Yeah he is one of the mid pricers I would look at putting at f4

quinny88

Quote from: ubeaut on March 04, 2013, 02:48:56 PM
Zorko

A lot of people saying Zorko will play more inside 50 this season. Also a bit unproven seeings he has played 16 games of AFL

GM

ubeaut

Quote from: quinny88 on March 04, 2013, 03:14:19 PM
Quote from: ubeaut on March 04, 2013, 02:48:56 PM
Zorko

A lot of people saying Zorko will play more inside 50 this season. Also a bit unproven seeings he has played 16 games of AFL
He has proven he is a gun and gets the ball no matter where he is. Closer to goal = more goals. The guy is a tackling machine and is built for SC.

GCSkiwi

Quote from: quinny88 on March 04, 2013, 02:26:31 PM
I am having a nightmare of a time trying to decide on 4 prem forwards. I have cox, rocky and martin locked in but I have doubts over every other prem forward at this stage. my reasons for this are explained in this thread http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,72918.msg1004707.html#msg1004707

What do people think about starting with a 3 prem forward line?
Most people think it is better to stack the forward line due to the lack of forward rookies but if I was to introduce both varcoe and Byrnes to my forward line it wouldn't be so bad.

Forward line would look like:

Cox, Rockliff, Martin, Varcoe, Byrnes, Macaffer (Lee, rookie)

Varcoe and Byrnes could be replaced by a number of mid pricers like Lecras, Knights, Petterd etc. I will decide on that round 1 as well as the last rookie place.

What do people think of this kind of setup though?

I'm strongly considering this as well quinny, almost identical set up too. Got Cox and Rocky locked, not going with Martin, looking at another prem fwd instead but my current f4-8 are varcoe, byrnes, macaffer, lee and neade. The last of the prems at this stage is very up in the air, Buddy and Bartel are current strongest contenders. Also considering Varcoe to LeCras, and again will make that call based on round 1 :P
It means I can afford a better midfield and I'm just not sure who of the other forwards I really want to have. Make a bit of cash off those guys and get a glimpse at who is performing, then reassess forwards later. It's a risk for overall but league is my main focus, and in all honesty even for overall it's going to be dumb luck whether you pick the right player, I don't think there's enough indication of who the clear prem f4 should be...

tor01doc

Buddy.

Also consider Walker or Wright.

Roughead or Ryder?

Waiting for NicNat which is why Varcoe / Byrnes seems a good combo with both to rise just in time to swoop on the big Eagle and Staker??

FactHunt

I like Le Cras at F4 too... I reckon from previous years' averages, as well as a pretty strong WC outfit this year, he is at least 10ppg better than his starting price is asking. Worth a role given the lack of rooks and the extra trades for sure.

Ringo

At the moment I am going Buddy, Cox Rockliff

Currently have Wright at F4. With the dearth of Fwd Rookies thinking of going Cornelius/Karnezis F4 (one will be named), Varcoe/Byrmes/Pettard F5(still to decide) McAffer F6  with Neade and Lee emergencies (Lee may change to Stringer or similar).
Will free up some cash to use elsewhere.  Maybe turn Ball into Super prem.
Will probably agonise over this one for the next few weeks.

tor01doc