Main Menu

Draft Strategy

Started by Chelskiman, February 27, 2013, 04:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chelskiman

Didn't really know where to put this thread but figured it would be fine here.  Anyway, do you guys have any strategies when it comes to your draft league?  Obviously everyone's first pick is going to be the best mid they can get, but where to after that?  Do you grab another quality mid or do you try and get at least one star on each line?  Which line has the least amount of premo options and should you target that area first.  Personally I'm in a league with 8 players and I get the 5th pick, which isn't ideal, but I'll still be able to get a quality pick.  As it stands with my list at the very least I'll get one of Swan, Ablett, Boyd, Cotchin or Pendles, so it's a decent start.  After that I'm seriously thinking of picking a ruckman, and I have Maric in my sights and if not him then Cox.  If both somehow go by the time it's my pick then I may look at another line, or maybe even grab another mid.

I kind of just rambled on there a bit, but I wouldn't mind hearing the thoughts of you guys, especially seeing as my draft is tomorrow.  I would have liked it closer to Round 1, but what can you do, eh?

GM

With DT,i would look at getting the best back or fwd with my 2nd pick.
There will be a good quality ruck available in rds3 & rds4

Capper

it really depends on what the layout of your squad is. Is it 4-5-2-4/4 or 3-4-1-3/4??

Yes definitely start with a mid, DPPs are also goldas normally your only have 4 bench spots total and it doesnt matter what position there are.

Chelskiman

Quote from: greenmoon on February 27, 2013, 05:09:12 PM
With DT,i would look at getting the best back or fwd with my 2nd pick.
There will be a good quality ruck available in rds3 & rds4

Well I was originally looking at getting a quality back in.  I'd be able to get a decent one I reckon seeing as I'm pick 5 so I'll get two picks fairly close together.  Not sure if being picks 1 or 2 is better or not.  Where I'm at in my draft I'm right in the middle so that could be a good thing.  Anyway, I digress.  I'm just not sure there is a great deal of quality rucks, so I was thinking I should grab the best one as early as I can. =/

Quote from: tabs on February 27, 2013, 06:01:46 PM
it really depends on what the layout of your squad is. Is it 4-5-2-4/4 or 3-4-1-3/4??

Yes definitely start with a mid, DPPs are also goldas normally your only have 4 bench spots total and it doesnt matter what position there are.

Our structure is 5-6-2-5/4. 

GM

In DT tbh you have Cox,Maric,McEvoy,Jacobs all would be fine with Gibbs or Goddard in your team.
So at pick 5 lets say Boyd,Goddard,McEvoy thats my tip in that order.

Toga

I had pick one in our draft, and I went with:
1. (1) Swan
2. (19) Selwood
3. (20) Maric

The only ruck taken before Maric was Cox, who I would have taken if he was still available. Then I didn't have to worry about rucks again until ages down the order where I picked up Kreuzer and Hampson, and I reckon they were good picks - at least one of them will be playing each week ;)