Am I crazy?

Started by Converted, February 26, 2013, 02:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Converted

Along with a few people on the forum, starting Buddy is giving me headaches. He will be in the top three averaging forwards by seasons end and I will no doubt want him in my team.
However he comes at a huge price tag of 618k and has a tough start playing 2012s remaining top 8 teams over the first seven rounds. You can count on a couple of poor scores but some large ones in there making him a viable upgrade somewhere between 500 and 550k one would think.
So my strategy is to start Colin Sylvia for 433k and hoping for a direct swap. Considering his first seven rounds include port GWS and the suns along with a few clubs he scores historically well against. Colin's fitness must be monitored prior to round one but this strategy saves me 180k but costs me one trade without losing a huge stack of points.
Thoughts?

colmullet

if you see it playing out that way go for it could be a nice little cash saver. I'm not starting buddy either, will definitely be 100K cheaper sometime before the bye i think

Hagebear

Definately not crazy as I have considered it but I'm going to start with him. Yes, he has a couple of tough games to start by it's BUDDY. he can do anything. I think the option of not starting him is much more viable with DT with the use it or lose it trade system this year. And yes we have a couple if more trades in SC this year but they will be gold come the later Hal of the season.

quinny88

I wouldnt pay $433k for a guy I plan on trading out. We do have more trades this season but its still a waste of a trade IMO. If it goes according to plan you will actually be swaping out a guy who is averaging over 100 and in good form to a guy that is out of form on the slump. You would be better off keeping the inform Sylvia cashing in on your rookies when they fatten

Jroo

Nah I don't think your crazy. I don't think I'll be starting Buddy and I'm one who is also considering Sylvia.
I done a write up on whether to start Buddy or not and a write up about Sylvia, which may help you:
Buddy - http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,71760.0.html
Sylvia - http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,70331.msg955257.html#msg955257

mjpaps

This is the question thats doing my head in!
He's worth the coin thats for sure.
He's currently in my team. This will no doubt change.
He does have a hard first 8 weeks. I think his price will drop alot.
Not that it means alot but his NAB Cup form was not great...

Decisions Decisions...

Converted

Quote from: quinny88 on February 26, 2013, 02:33:04 PM
I wouldnt pay $433k for a guy I plan on trading out. We do have more trades this season but its still a waste of a trade IMO. If it goes according to plan you will actually be swaping out a guy who is averaging over 100 and in good form to a guy that is out of form on the slump. You would be better off keeping the inform Sylvia cashing in on your rookies when they fatten
This points sticks the most. Probably going to have Buddy rotating in and out of my side before round one.. Cheers gents

Swan Fan

I am with you on this, not starting Franklin but instead going with N.Riewoldt as he has a very easy start to the season... and should be a straight swap in the not too distant future...  ::)

Belks

this is good in theory but what happens when he gets injured and your stuck with a mid price fwd and cant afford franklin i got burned like this last year

cortez

Buddy's score from last year against his first 5 opponents:

Geelong- 89
West coast - 89, 112
Collingwood - 142
Freo - 99
North - 236

Thats an avg of 127 against these 5 sides.
Dont underestimate Franklin!

You think he has a hard draw, you're wrong! He is the hard draw!!!

Jroo

Quote from: Belks on February 26, 2013, 06:02:54 PM
this is good in theory but what happens when he gets injured and your stuck with a mid price fwd and cant afford franklin i got burned like this last year
Yeah that's something you have to worry about.
Quote from: cortez on February 26, 2013, 06:10:13 PM

Geelong- 89
West coast - 89, 112
Collingwood - 142
Freo - 99
North - 236

The 127 average is mainly because of his huge 236. He has the ability to go huge and if you don't have him when he goes massive like that, your screwed.

Hagebear

Quote from: JROO8 on February 26, 2013, 06:15:18 PM
Quote from: Belks on February 26, 2013, 06:02:54 PM
Yeah that's something you have to worry about.
Quote from: cortez on February 26, 2013, 06:10:13 PM

Geelong- 89
West coast - 89, 112
Collingwood - 142
Freo - 99
North - 236

The 127 average is mainly because of his huge 236. He has the ability to go huge and if you don't have him when he goes massive like that, your screwed.

Take out the 236 and that's still an average of 108 ;)

cortez

You cant take the 236 out though, hes capable of games like that thats why it's part of his avg! And thats what you get with Buddy!

Southstorm

If my math is right, Franklin has a 0.3% chance of scoring more than 200 in a game based on the previous two seasons of scoring. While he does have the potential to pull out huge scores, they're few and far between.

StuL

A no Buddy strategy for the first 5 rounds is gaining in my thinking.