Birchall vs Shaw

Started by cortez, February 26, 2013, 09:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birchall or Shaw

Birchall
Heater

cortez

Most defenses are going to have Goddard and Gibbs locked but who is the better pick out of these two? Have seen them both in teams as the third prem bit who do you start with? That is the dilemma. Who will avg more? And even if Shaw does avg more will he play enough games to match Birchall in overall points?

Converted

Count on Heater missing a handful of games - definitely an upgrade target for me

Cruiseon

They are close. Shaw is a better player and now the defensive tag effects him less. He has the benefit of Young and Russell joining him for run out of the backline which will also free him up. But as Converted says, he has missed 3-4 games a year recently.

Birchall has had a great record of consistency although doesn't have much upside above average scores around 90. With Lake, Gibson, Stratton and Shoey it will be a tall backline but ironically Young frees up some run. NOt sure if it will change the dynamics much.

cortez

If it's so close would it be best to just go Birchall and save the 35k?

jfitty

I think they will both roughly average the same this season as they did last season. Can't see Birchall averaging more than 95, but Heater should be able to push 100 again. I would pick Shaw though personally, just because of the fact he will score the occasional 120+, whereas Birchall seems to score more around 100-105 when he tons up.

quinny88

Heater has a much higher ceiling. Birchall will likely play more games.
They are both pretty unique too which is surprising.
Im going with Heater. If he can play 22 ill have a massive leg up

dmac07

Quote from: quinny88 on February 26, 2013, 02:44:53 PM

Ive had birchall for a while but want to find the extra 35k to get shaw. He has missed games in the past, but mostly due to idiocy/small injuries. Doesn't havent a particular recurring injury so could likely play most games, apparently very fit this year too, and the recruitment of russel/young could free him up to run on a wing more as collingwood look to use his kicking into the forward 50.
Birchall will almost certainly average the same again, but I cant see where any great improvement could come from, already has great disposal, and i dont see him changing his role much this year. I think shaw has has a little more risk, but its not a big risk and I wouldnt be surprised if he average 105 to birchalls 95.

quinny88

Quote from: dmac07 on February 26, 2013, 02:53:23 PM

Ive had birchall for a while but want to find the extra 35k to get shaw. He has missed games in the past, but mostly due to idiocy/small injuries. Doesn't havent a particular recurring injury so could likely play most games, apparently very fit this year too, and the recruitment of russel/young could free him up to run on a wing more as collingwood look to use his kicking into the forward 50.
Birchall will almost certainly average the same again, but I cant see where any great improvement could come from, already has great disposal, and i dont see him changing his role much this year. I think shaw has has a little more risk, but its not a big risk and I wouldnt be surprised if he average 105 to birchalls 95.

Completley agree dmac

Jroo

Birchall just, he's reliable and you know every week that Birchall will give you a good score.
Shaw is inconsistent and has missed games in the past. I think there is not much risk in picking Birchall, while there is in picking Shaw.

quinny88

Quote from: JROO8 on February 26, 2013, 03:08:34 PM
Birchall just, he's reliable and you know every week that Birchall will give you a good score.
Shaw is inconsistent and has missed games in the past. I think there is not much risk in picking Birchall, while there is in picking Shaw.

High risk , High reward Jroo ;)

ubeaut

This.

Jroo

Quote from: quinny88 on February 26, 2013, 03:31:53 PM
Quote from: JROO8 on February 26, 2013, 03:08:34 PM

High risk , High reward Jroo ;)
Yeah I guess so, Shaw does have the ability to score highly. I just think Birchall is a safer choice  ;)

mjpaps

Heater for me!
Ive always had him. Frustrating at times. But I think he is primed for a great year.
Im shocked more teams dont have him...

T Dog

gunnerzzz

Had both in my side at various stages. Ditched em for Hanley and took the cash. Neither are very consistant.