R Sloane vs. A Swallow (M5)

Started by BigChief, February 25, 2013, 10:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigChief

I'm in a pickle.

Rory Sloane had huge improvement year and I think this will be an even bigger year for him.
In a similar range I see Andrew Swallow, already won a few B&Fs and in an improving team will probably get better.

I don't want to spend more than that sort of price, I figure they'll average very similar to those players in a slightly higher bracket.

Thoughts?

Swan Fan

every man will agree that  A. Swallow is much better !!!!!    ;D

slipknot_4

I prefer Sloane, teams generally tag Dangerfield and Thommo as compared to Swallow, whose ogenerally the tagged midfielder in NM.

tbagrocks

Misconception, Sloane actually got tagged a bit, teams that tagged Sloane would go pretty well, Danger can't be tagged and they found out that going to Sloane over Thommon would be better served

But Sloane is a player going to the next level, Swallow is a great footballer but honestly won't be in front of Rory ;)  dou your self a favor and stick Rory Sloane in your midfield

Dayze

We've been waiting for swallow to go elite for two or three years now. It's probably not gonna happen. Very good at what he does but he doesn't tick every box. He's an effort player.
Sloane has much more scope for improvement.

tbagrocks

Quote from: Dayze on February 26, 2013, 03:26:05 AM
We've been waiting for swallow to go elite for two or three years now. It's probably not gonna happen. Very good at what he does but he doesn't tick every box. He's an effort player.
That's righ mate spot on, Swallow isn't getting much better? Sloanewith his hard nosed attitude but...

Has great outside run and carry, kicks goals and hits targets, this gut is as tough as but has the outside game to be a ... Did I say this ... Champion!

Hagebear

+1 totally agree with this. Agree Andrew Swallow is a star but I think us a little more one dimensional compared to Sloaney. I think Sloanes outside play is better then Swallows and is just as hard at it. Sloaney's only let down is his D/E but that can be improved. Nothing wrong with Swallow just I can see Sloane going past him in a supercoach sense.

bartyboys

look out when swallow has a big day on tackles.... supercoach gold!!!!

gunnerzzz

Tempted to get them both with perhaps HH for a nice POD. Everyone seems to have the same team. Swan, JPK, Cotchin etc whom are all great, but seeing every team with them is begging to turn me off. Risky move though. Maybe I'm reading these forums too much.

ubeaut

Yep I agree here
Quote from: Swan Fan on February 25, 2013, 11:06:55 PM
every man will agree that  A. Swallow is much better !!!!!    ;D
Nice gag but don't agree
Swallow is too inefficient with disposal for SC. Sloane looks to be a potentially better player.

FactHunt

Tough call.

Swallow won't let you down, he tackles his way to a nice score every week... super effort week after week. Made 17 tackles against the Dees last year for a season high 158. Had a slightly better year the year before (top score 193 against the crows- for you tbag ;D)
But he has a ceiling lower than Sloane, IF Sloane can fulfil his potent IMO. It's a big IF.

The crows are set for a big year again, probably expect them to improve on their great year last year... Sloane will be instrumental in this. He had a season high 178 against Freo with 33 touches and 7 tackles... you don't have to worry about effort from this guy either. He is young still, 3 years Swallow's junior. He also had 4 games sub 80, and a total 6 games sub 90 last year. Will he get a tag? You don't have to worry about this with Swallow.

Swallow for me if ya spending that sort of coin... but don't be surprised if Rory kills it either, his draw is MUCH better than the Roos.

tbagrocks

The only thing wrong with thar post is "the big if" part, Sloane will be much fitter, spent the second half on the fland due to fategue

Sloane is going to the next leval, ave 114 at the crows bye in 2012 ;)

But really either will be worth it, but does Swallow have the class of Sloane? ???  As an inside mid for sure, but Rory knows how to run and carry and kick a goal,

Sloane only averaged under 22 disposals last year mainly to his second half year fade out, this will change ;)

Mat0369

Quote from: tbagrocks on February 27, 2013, 01:24:35 AM
The only thing wrong with thar post is "the big if" part, Sloane will be much fitter, spent the second half on the fland due to fategue

Sloane is going to the next leval, ave 114 at the crows bye in 2012 ;)

But really either will be worth it, but does Swallow have the class of Sloane? ???  As an inside mid for sure, but Rory knows how to run and carry and kick a goal,

Sloane only averaged under 22 disposals last year mainly to his second half year fade out, this will change ;)

Could the fade out also be attributed to the style of game he plays? From what I have seen he is similar to Mitch Robinson in the way he goes about it. Hard at it 100% of the time head first into everything. That style of play takes a toll on the player and generally results in quite a few minor niggles. It is one of the reasons I also tend to stay away from Robbo.

tbagrocks

How I see it, Sando came in and put in a boxing ring and an emphisis on weights

This year has been on core body strength

Look at Adelaides best players last year, Danger, Thommo and Sloane all go tired in the end, the physical workload got to them

Will be different this year, expect many to have a greater fittnes base, this is why i'm so confident

Other players in the past have played like Robbo and Sloane and done it year after year, Boyd? Black?

Mat0369

Sloane is probably a bit less kamikaze compared to Robbo. I still would not compare their game styles to Black or Boyd. Black and Boyd have never been kamikaze type players.

Maybe Jordan Lewis in terms of style of play.

I also just looked up Simon Blacks SC scores. Since they have started keeping track, his highest average in a season is only 107 odd.