E2's Final Preparations

Started by essendon2, February 25, 2013, 08:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

essendon2

Cash Left: $14,700

DEF:
My gut keeps telling me that it's not a good idea to be playing 2 DEF rooks, so this season I'm going with 4 guns + 1 mp. Goddard, Gibbs and Hartlett are locked, whereas, Grimes and Tambling have been changing with Heppell and Russell a fair bit.
Grimes over Stanley I think: If you look at Grimes' start, his first 3 opponents in 2013, he scored 100+ against all three in 2012!

MID:
Swan + Ablett + Pendles, locked. Redden was in there for a while too, ousted for Moloney; frees up cash. I like a bit of a weaker MID this year, considering there are so many rookie options! As there aren't many viable choices in other fields (especially FWDs)

RUCs:
This is also set. McEvoy has been in since day 1, (has changed a few times though  :P) dream start has seduced me and he's staying!

FWDs:
Have had 4 premiums and 2 mp's for some time now, however, I just think Varcoe + Byrnes is a bit too risky, especially if Macaffer kills it, I won't be able to free up any cash to upgrade/downgrade the weaker of the two! Zorko, Rocky and NRoo are locked. Wright vs Martin is killing me  >:( :o and Cloke over Sylvia for the moment.

Feel free to criticise  8)

LF

Forwards are very strong I personally don`t like Cloke but hey he could go bang this year

Rucks are good

Backs are good Tambling and Hartlett both very risky Hartlett tho I think is a good pick as long as he stays fit.

Mids are a little weak with Moloney at M4 I`d ditch Embley and have Moloney at M5 because I think you could fall behind too early with most people having 4 premo mids plus one of either Moloney,Ball or Embley.
Just can`t work out where you could pull the cash from without too much fooling around.

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,71226.15.html
this is my latest team would love your opinion.

essendon2

Quote from: luvfooty on February 25, 2013, 09:00:15 PM
Forwards are very strong I personally don`t like Cloke but hey he could go bang this year

Rucks are good

Backs are good Tambling and Hartlett both very risky Hartlett tho I think is a good pick as long as he stays fit.

Mids are a little weak with Moloney at M4 I`d ditch Embley and have Moloney at M5 because I think you could fall behind too early with most people having 4 premo mids plus one of either Moloney,Ball or Embley.
Just can`t work out where you could pull the cash from without too much fooling around.

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,71226.15.html
this is my latest team would love your opinion.
thanks mate!

The thing is, with other teams having stronger MIDS - they have to have weaker DEF and FWD lines to accommodate for the extra $$$ they've used... which actually means, the more undervalued players you have, the more chance of my team actually scoring more, + fluctuating in price quicker ;)

Chopps

what are you tipping tambling to score?

essendon2

Quote from: Chopps on February 25, 2013, 10:55:01 PM
what are you tipping tambling to score?
hmm I think 75+ is reasonable  ??? ::)

popedelio

I really like your team, its different from others, mid prices are smart choices, and should make you money.

Tambling is very unknown, and a very ambitious prediction of 75+ when we are still unaware on his role for the squad, and if he is going to break into the squad. I also don't like him as a player, just my opinion.

goodluck with the season

essendon2

Quote from: popedelio on February 26, 2013, 01:32:59 AM
I really like your team, its different from others, mid prices are smart choices, and should make you money.

Tambling is very unknown, and a very ambitious prediction of 75+ when we are still unaware on his role for the squad, and if he is going to break into the squad. I also don't like him as a player, just my opinion.

goodluck with the season
thanks mate!

I can go Grimes --> Heppell, Lonergan --> K.Mitchell, Tambling --> J. Russell as well  8)

Toga

Hey mate, here's some of my thoughts on your team. :)

First of all:

Quote from: essendon2 on February 25, 2013, 09:08:12 PM
The thing is, with other teams having stronger MIDS - they have to have weaker DEF and FWD lines to accommodate for the extra $$$ they've used... which actually means, the more undervalued players you have, the more chance of my team actually scoring more, + fluctuating in price quicker ;)

Yes, it's true that having stronger mids will weaken other lines, but the mids is where all the points are scored! While you have a valid point that your team will fluctuate in price quicker etc, you need to be certain these riskier players ala Embley, Moloney & Tambling won't be sub and will score enough to make your team fluctuate in price quicker, otherwise its a bit of a waste!

For instance, you have 12 premiums all up, including only 3 premiums in the midfield, compared to my team having 14, including 5 in the midfield - essentially, you're allowing me an advantage of Cotchin & Redden + Vlastuin from the get go, unless you think Moloney, Embley & Bling will score as much as them combined... will they? I'm not sure...

Anyways on to having a good look at your team :)

Defenders: A very solid line from you - I love your inclusion of the three G's, I have all three myself. I really want Hartlett but have opted to go Stanley instead, just think he's a bit safer :-[ Rookies are very good.

Midfield: While you've explained the reasons behind your decision to just go for the three premiums, I think it is just too risky, and would feel much more comfortable with another premium in there! I would consider downgrading Embley to Vlastuin (or even Toumpas or Whitfield) and upgrade Moloney to Fyfe, or try to reshuffle a bit of extra cash to go to a fully-fledged premium in the middle as M4. Rookies look good.

Rucks: McEvoy is an interesting one - if he kills it, you'll be loving life as he will be a pretty good POD by the looks of it! Rookies & Leuey are good - I like how you've selected both Daw & Currie, as one of them will surely play each week you would think.

Forwards: Like your inclusion of the ZorkRock combo, I have them both as well. Cloke presents great value, as does Wright, but I have opted for Dusty instead as he is more 'proven' in my mind! Varcoe should also be good value, but I would also look at Sam Mayes if he is named for Round 1 - should be a solid scorer for a 70K saving.

Suggested changes: Tbh I would do something like this:
Tambling -> Stevenson OR Varcoe -> Mayes
Embley -> Vlastuin
Moloney -> Redden/J.Selwood/Other

Hope that helped. :)

essendon2

Quote from: Toga on February 26, 2013, 12:47:37 PM
Hey mate, here's some of my thoughts on your team. :)

First of all:

Quote from: essendon2 on February 25, 2013, 09:08:12 PM

Yes, it's true that having stronger mids will weaken other lines, but the mids is where all the points are scored! While you have a valid point that your team will fluctuate in price quicker etc, you need to be certain these riskier players ala Embley, Moloney & Tambling won't be sub and will score enough to make your team fluctuate in price quicker, otherwise its a bit of a waste!

For instance, you have 12 premiums all up, including only 3 premiums in the midfield, compared to my team having 14, including 5 in the midfield - essentially, you're allowing me an advantage of Cotchin & Redden + Vlastuin from the get go, unless you think Moloney, Embley & Bling will score as much as them combined... will they? I'm not sure...

Anyways on to having a good look at your team :)

Defenders: A very solid line from you - I love your inclusion of the three G's, I have all three myself. I really want Hartlett but have opted to go Stanley instead, just think he's a bit safer :-[ Rookies are very good.

Midfield: While you've explained the reasons behind your decision to just go for the three premiums, I think it is just too risky, and would feel much more comfortable with another premium in there! I would consider downgrading Embley to Vlastuin (or even Toumpas or Whitfield) and upgrade Moloney to Fyfe, or try to reshuffle a bit of extra cash to go to a fully-fledged premium in the middle as M4. Rookies look good.

Rucks: McEvoy is an interesting one - if he kills it, you'll be loving life as he will be a pretty good POD by the looks of it! Rookies & Leuey are good - I like how you've selected both Daw & Currie, as one of them will surely play each week you would think.

Forwards: Like your inclusion of the ZorkRock combo, I have them both as well. Cloke presents great value, as does Wright, but I have opted for Dusty instead as he is more 'proven' in my mind! Varcoe should also be good value, but I would also look at Sam Mayes if he is named for Round 1 - should be a solid scorer for a 70K saving.

Suggested changes: Tbh I would do something like this:
Tambling -> Stevenson OR Varcoe -> Mayes
Embley -> Vlastuin
Moloney -> Redden/J.Selwood/Other

Hope that helped. :)
thanks mate, really appreciate the constructive criticism!!

I see where you're coming from about the weak MID, however, I just think the undervalued/mid-price strategy is the way to go this year! I really don't want to be playing Mayes/Macaffer and having 2 other rooks on the bench each weak. It's the same with the DEF, I don't want to have 2 x 60-65 ppg scoring rooks on the field!
Also, about how you're saying you have an extra premo overall, Virtual Sports and the magic number create this amount so that we should really be scoring the same amount of points per week. It's just the coaches that pick the undervalued players (e.g Pendlebury) that'll gain an early lead because they're paying less for someone who's worth a lot more  :D

I really liked McEvoy in 2011, and now in 2013 with his dream start, he's too tempting not to have  :P

Martin vs Wright is still killing me, as is Zorko vs Robinson  :-\

Redden (110) + Vlastuin (70-75) = 180-185 = $675k
whereas
Moloney (85-90) + Embley (85-90) = 170-180 = $573k
I just think the 2nd option is better, especially because I get to use it in other lines.

Windigo

Your banking on the Bull netting that 90+ a game to make it worth though..  :-\

essendon2

Quote from: Windigo on February 26, 2013, 07:26:23 PM
Your banking on the Bull netting that 90+ a game to make it worth though..  :-\
well Redden may only average 105 too   :P

but I can't see Moloney averaging less than 85

Windigo

Phasir

can see Embley going under 85 this year as he gets more subs to benefit the young mids, Moloney will probably go 90's but even then, finding consistent 75 averaging rookies is pretty hard so even then it'd be a decent risk for reward

essendon2

Quote from: Windigo on February 26, 2013, 07:39:12 PM
But is he enough for a M4....
Redden + Mayes
vs
Embley + Cloke

Quote from: Phasir on February 26, 2013, 08:19:15 PM
can see Embley going under 85 this year as he gets more subs to benefit the young mids, Moloney will probably go 90's but even then, finding consistent 75 averaging rookies is pretty hard so even then it'd be a decent risk for reward
hmm atm I dont see Embley being the sub, as he's easily in their best 22! But yeah, I think it's a good decision for now

Toga

Redden (110) + Mayes (65) = 175

Embley (82) + Cloke (96) = 178

Pretty damn close but option 2 also has the added benefit that both will play week in week out