Is Berger Really Worth It?

Started by colmullet, February 25, 2013, 03:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colmullet

A guy coming off a bad achillies injury....priced at 300K and is still not gaurenteed to be up and running at round 1....and even if he is has had no preseason and will more than likely be eased in with Longer doing a lot of the work

Seriously tempted to downgrade one of my 5, 600K mids and upgrade him to a set and forget ruck combo and bring Maloney into the mids at M5

GM

Yeah makes sense.
Berger would need to play 2 encouraging trials for me to be confident going into rd1,

Ringo

Will be watching NAB cup - Berger is aiming at playing Rounds 3 & 4 of the NAB cup so watch. If Longer is named for the first round thinking of selecting him as he will make cash and be a handy upgrade to finalise set and forget rucks.

Other alternative I am considering is looking at Zac Smith for 70k more who may be over 2nd year syndrome and will play all games.

colmullet

Quote from: Ringo on February 25, 2013, 04:08:06 PM
Will be watching NAB cup - Berger is aiming at playing Rounds 3 & 4 of the NAB cup so watch. If Longer is named for the first round thinking of selecting him as he will make cash and be a handy upgrade to finalise set and forget rucks.

Other alternative I am considering is looking at Zac Smith for 70k more who may be over 2nd year syndrome and will play all games.

Thankx Ringo, i wasn't sure he would get to much of a run before round 1 so will be keeping an eye out thats for sure, he would want to be performing fairly well though for me i think, if he was $200K i'd be happier for him to warm into the season but if he's going to start with 50's and 60's with Longer doing a lot of work to ease him in then i dunno if im to keen on that for his price when Maloney for 50K more looks more likely to push 90's and 100's straight out of the gate

quinny88

Haven't really thought about it too much. Put him in from the start and left him there. There is no garauntee however that he will return to his form from the 2nd half of 2011 so there is reason to have doubt over him

FactHunt

@ $300K Berger is well worth the risk if he is playing.

Jroo

Defintley worth selecting Berger, if fit.
Showed in 2011 he can be a premium scorer and I'd expect him to score well this year even though he's coming of a achillies injury.

quinny88

Anyone think he can become a keeper or is he simply a stepping stone to a premium ruckman?

LF

Quote from: quinny88 on February 25, 2013, 06:15:57 PM
Anyone think he can become a keeper or is he simply a stepping stone to a premium ruckman?

I was thinking of using him as a stepping stone to Nic Nat but if he averages ok then I may just keep him.

quinny88

Quote from: luvfooty on February 25, 2013, 06:18:25 PM

I was thinking of using him as a stepping stone to Nic Nat but if he averages ok then I may just keep him.

Exactly what I had planned but at what point does he become worth just keeping?

bottlemart

I'm not sold on berger just yet.  I have him in as my R2 at the moment, but I will need to see him play before I name him.  Got $230k in the bank currently and may use it to upgrade if berger doesnt look the goods.

I am sold on Moloney though.  He looked very fit and ready to go, and got a lot of the ball, so he is locked in my mids.

LF

Quote from: quinny88 on February 25, 2013, 06:25:27 PM

That is something we really won't know until the season has started you'll have all the usual factors like injuries to consider.

quinny88

Quote from: luvfooty on February 25, 2013, 06:33:13 PM

That is something we really won't know until the season has started you'll have all the usual factors like injuries to consider.

Yeah of course, I think its just gonna be a hard call to make if he is averaging say 105 do you bother sideways trading to another prem ruckman. I guess its one you can hold off on until later in the year if he is playing well

colmullet

Quote from: quinny88 on February 25, 2013, 06:38:33 PM

Yeah of course, I think its just gonna be a hard call to make if he is averaging say 105 do you bother sideways trading to another prem ruckman. I guess its one you can hold off on until later in the year if he is playing well

If he's averaging 105 i'd say the only reason to side trade him is in the finals as a luxury

LF

Quote from: colmullet on February 25, 2013, 06:41:44 PM
Quote from: quinny88 on February 25, 2013, 06:38:33 PM

If he's averaging 105 i'd say the only reason to side trade him is in the finals as a luxury

Yeah this ^^^^^