The ruck strategy

Started by Mat0369, February 24, 2013, 10:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat0369

Quote from: tor01doc on March 04, 2013, 01:04:34 PM
Roughead CHB!?

Lake, Schoenmakers, Stratton, Birchall - where are they all going to fit?

Bailey is a class act if fit.

Can't trust him though.

They trialed it in the NAB and they are obviously doing it for a reason. Maybe they want a back up plan if Lake gets smashed, so they swing Lake forward and Roughy back, maybe also looking at ways to squeeze Bailey into the side. Hale ended up with an injury on the weekend, not sure how serious it is, but it could be good for SC. If he is out, Bailey comes in and might be a good option to start with to get some cash. Same thing with the Waite injury. Leaves the open competition for the full forward spot at Carlton between Casboult and Rowe to replace Waite. Even if these guys do miss early games it might not be enough to warrant that much of a price rise.

Bluesman

Quote from: Cruiseon on February 25, 2013, 03:23:37 PM

I'm looking at the DPP approach to hedge my bets. Goldy will be fine, its the Berger who may not convince. I am going to start with these two and with Cox as a forward. I think the missing link is Rowe as a 4th ruck who can then alow Cox to ruck when if required.

View longer term might be Berger for Nic Nat but we'll see.

Thoughts?
+1. Exactly this

tor01doc

My team looks amazing when I start with Leue and Bailey. So much money left for other areas.

But... And this is a big but... Not as big as Serena Williams' but still big...

Will they stay fit long enough to make money?

I doubt it, but have a look!

myteamsuks

Yeah I'm taking Rowe for the exact same reason, to change with Ryder in fwd line if plan A goes awry.

Kruz,  Luenberger, Rowe, currie

Big Mac

There's something I'm confused about. You guys say you've got a dpp ruck in the forward line and Rowe in the rucks, just in case a mid pricer doesn't play well. But how is this helping? This only forces you to have $350,000 worth of ruck sitting on the bench and makes you start another rookie forward....

Mat0369

Quote from: Big  Mac on March 10, 2013, 11:47:29 PM
There's something I'm confused about. You guys say you've got a dpp ruck in the forward line and Rowe in the rucks, just in case a mid pricer doesn't play well. But how is this helping? This only forces you to have $350,000 worth of ruck sitting on the bench and makes you start another rookie forward....

You can then downgrade that ruck for cash and upgrade said rookie forward when his price rises. Then again the strategy I originally posted is different to say starting Kreuz and Leuey. The second guy I would be looking at is under 300k

tor01doc

Quote from: Big  Mac on March 10, 2013, 11:47:29 PM

My plan was to have Rowe at R4 and Cox F2. This was when Leue was R2.

So Leue misses out and I swing my big Cox into action and put Rowe on forward bench.

Insurance if R3 isn't getting games too.

May not be necessary now but Cox with his DPP might have to cover rucks from time to time.

Also, NicNat, Ryder and Roughead could be used.

antman

If bailey is selected rd1 I will be running him and burger and cox in the forwards with rowe on ruck bench

Sapientia

Seems as if Ryder's not mentioned much. I'd have thought with his DPP he'd have been a good shout - yeah he has shockers but it looks as if Hille won't be playing much so he'll get more time where he wants.

FactHunt

Quote from: Sapientia on March 12, 2013, 10:05:16 PM
Seems as if Ryder's not mentioned much. I'd have thought with his DPP he'd have been a good shout - yeah he has shockers but it looks as if Hille won't be playing much so he'll get more time where he wants.

Hirdy has really challenged Ryder this pre season to reach his potential consistently this year.
His price is a little tricky, and given he only only played 15 games last year it seems that there are safer options... but gee i hope he has a ripper!!!

I think most who are interested will wait and see how he goes, it's likely you'll get him at a cheaper price sometime early in the year anyway.

Duck

I think it's best to go set and forget rucks.
Personally, I went for some cheaper options and went for Minson and Giles.

fever

^ more like 'set and regret' imo

Big Mac

Quote from: fever on March 15, 2013, 11:06:12 AM
^ more like 'set and regret' imo

Enlighten me - I currently have Jacobs and Giles, and I stress the word 'currently'.

fever

minson is too weak for r1, giles JUST scrapes in as r2, but not with a questionable r1, imo. a set and forget combo would almost never have jacobs as r1, as r2 by all means is quite strong (eg maric, jacobs is dynamite). you just lose too much ground playing tiddly-winks with the rucks.

Big Mac

Quote from: fever on March 16, 2013, 01:40:07 AM
minson is too weak for r1, giles JUST scrapes in as r2, but not with a questionable r1, imo. a set and forget combo would almost never have jacobs as r1, as r2 by all means is quite strong (eg maric, jacobs is dynamite). you just lose too much ground playing tiddly-winks with the rucks.

Fair enough, but what are your thoughts on the people starting currie or a midpricer as r2?