Viney in tagging role

Started by ronl, February 24, 2013, 12:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronl

Interesting that Melbourne seemed to use Viney in a tagging role in both practice matches.  Could this be a sign of things to come, or just simple experimentation? 

Hagebear

I think they rate Viney really highly and were just giving him a taste of how the premier midfielders go about their work. Surely he couldn't tag during the regular season. Bit unfair to throw him on Cotchin, Ablett and co for a full match for premiership points when the have Magner and McKenzie to tag.

Mykonos FC

Quote from: Hagebear on February 24, 2013, 12:23:49 PM
I think they rate Viney really highly and were just giving him a taste of how the premier midfielders go about their work. Surely he couldn't tag during the regular season. Bit unfair to throw him on Cotchin, Ablett and co for a full match for premiership points when the have Magner and McKenzie to tag.

+1

Grazz

I think, i hope its just a fast track learning curve for him whereby theyve said here you go mate play on these guys this is whats required of you at this level go and see what you can learn or maybe they see him needing to improve his defensive side of his game, either way its a fast track im sure. The Dee's need to up their their mid clearances dramatically in 2013 and Viney will help them do that so creating another run with player out of Viney would be silly to say the least.

MTTY

Yeah Neeld was simply giving him an experience to see how some of the premier onballers play/run around the ground. He's been doing it all pre-season with Rodan to work on his game/ learn how Rodan goes about it with positioning etc.

As has been said McKenzie is the top tagger at Melbourne, and in saying that he is very very capable as one.

TheAnt

What everyone said before me is spot on. A lot of clubs are doing it, especially in intra-club matches. (Lonergan played against Ablett in the suns one as an example)

quinny88

Yeah Melbourne would be crazy to waste such a talent as a tagger

auscoyote

Quote from: quinny88 on February 25, 2013, 02:16:25 AM
This is melbourne we are talking about though ;D and coached by neeld, the man who left couch out last year :o

Grazz

Quote from: auscoyote on February 25, 2013, 02:21:28 AM
This is melbourne we are talking about though ;D and coached by neeld, the man who left couch out last year :o

I remember saying where is bloody Couch, was a bit odd. :-\

quinny88

Quote from: Grazz on February 25, 2013, 11:13:35 AM

A lot of people were confused by that but to be fair to Neeld his VFL numbers werent anything outstanding and he was known for butchering the ball a bit which is not what the dees needed at the time

Grazz

Quote from: quinny88 on February 25, 2013, 01:21:29 PM
Quote from: Grazz on February 25, 2013, 11:13:35 AM

A lot of people were confused by that but to be fair to Neeld his VFL numbers werent anything outstanding and he was known for butchering the ball a bit which is not what the dees needed at the time

Cheers Quinny that explains why he never got back in.

locknload

I could of sworn there was a stage where Couch was stringing good games continually in there best but not getting a game.

As for Viney dont be surprised if he is in a 'tagging' role.
Good way to learn what to do, what is required and where to be on the ground ala the Scott Selwood theory.

quinny88

Quote from: locknload on February 25, 2013, 05:56:06 PM
I could of sworn there was a stage where Couch was stringing good games continually in there best but not getting a game.

As for Viney dont be surprised if he is in a 'tagging' role.
Good way to learn what to do, what is required and where to be on the ground ala the Scott Selwood theory.

I would hope thats not the case. It ruined Magner for us last year

THE BIG 3

couch knows how to find it but butchers it and turnovers kills you more than anything in the afl which is why he was left out for so long. agree its a learning curve for viney and wouldn't expect him to get that gig ahead of McKenzie or magner for anymore than a short stint he wont have the tank to run with the likes ablett, swan, cotchin etc...