What Are We Expecting From Viney

Started by Master Q, February 23, 2013, 11:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master Q

Now, unfortunately I didn't get a chance to watch much last night, and I know NAB cup means little, but...

In both games, Viney was given the job to tag North's and Richmond's arguably No.1 midfielder in Swallow and Cotchin. He ended up scoring 14 against Richmond and 16 against North. Now what I'm wondering is was this for experience purposes, or will he be Melbourne's go to man for tagging  :-\

Tyes

Surely it was just for experience? He wouldn't have the tank after one pre season to stay with an opposition midfielder like Cotchin or Swallow for an entire game would he? Melbourne also has a very good tagger already (McKenzie)?

nrich102

There is still 2 more nab games Melbourne play I think. We'll just see what he gets there.

Windigo

Yeah, I reckon it was just for the experience. We'll see more soon enough.  ;)

owenbond007

I'm concerned across the board with all the rookies atm.

To date wines was border line, toumpas was good, Daws and Currie were both good (but only one will most likely play unless goldy gets shafted), no other real stands out.

Hopefully jaeger bomb lights it up tonight.

Windigo

Mitchell, Crouch, Vlastuin were all impressive.  ???

Hagebear

Yeh don't think he'll tag during the regular season. It would be too much to ask of a first year player to have to tag the likes of Cotchin and co in a regular season match. They obviously rate him extremely highly and just want to give him the experience of running around with the best midfielders in the comp and see how they operate.

Ziplock

Quote from: owenbond007 on February 23, 2013, 12:40:06 PM

To date wines was border line, toumpas was good, Daws and Currie were both good (but only one will most likely play unless goldy gets shafted), no other real stands out.

people were talking about currie potentially playing down back with daws up forward and rotating through the ruck.

owenbond007

Quote from: Ziplock on February 23, 2013, 01:08:15 PM
Quote from: owenbond007 on February 23, 2013, 12:40:06 PM

people were talking about currie potentially playing down back with daws up forward and rotating through the ruck.

Not sure Daw spent a bit of time accross half back and looked good. Massive jukes.

TheAnt

I think it's just a learning experience, and matching up against the premier mids is a steep learning curve. It's just like what Lonergan did in the intra-club match going head to head with Ablett.