New role for Newman

Started by Jroo, February 21, 2013, 12:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you consider Newman in your SC side?

Yes
22 (66.7%)
No
11 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Jroo

Is anyone considering Chris Newman? Has handed over the captancy and will take some pressure off him. Will play up the ground in 2013 and is resoniably priced.

Newman's SC average:
05: 98.5
06: 74.6
07: 91.5
08: 100.1
09: 98.8
10: 92.7
11: 98.9
12: 77

Here's the article from Richmond's website, stating that he will play up the ground more, in 2013

New role for Newman

Rock-solid Richmond defender Chris Newman is being reinvented as a midfielder in the twilight of his league career.

Newman, who resigned the Tigers’ captaincy at the end of last season, after four years in the role, has spent this pre-season preparing for a permanent place in the midfield throughout season 2013.

Richmond midfield coach Danny Daly believes the move will provide the 30-year-old veteran of 214 league games with a new lease of football life.

“’Newy’ was getting a lot of attention from opposition players at half-back last season, which probably limited his effectiveness.  This will give him the chance to be released and will revitalise him,” Daly said.

“He is an excellent user of the football, which will help the quality of our forward-50 entries.

“He’s feeling really good about it and looking forward to the challenge.

“After giving up the captaincy, this is another opportunity for him to play good footy.

“He’ll probably play on the wing, but, of course, he has the flexibility to go to the backline if we need him there at any stage.

“At the end of the day, however, we need to build a back six without Newy, who has held the defence together so admirably, for so long.”
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-02-20/new-role-for-newman

For those saying it won't happen, Newman actually played off the wing for the last five or so rounds and I can see it happening for the 2013 season. I reckon he's one to watch  ;)

shorty3264

He's pretty tempting. A proven scorer for SC, lovely ball user, I don't think i'll consider at this stage but will have an eye on him. He is getting to the end of his career NAB Cup form important on this one.

Hagebear

Definately considering. NAB will be a good gauge of his role and new scoring potential.

tor01doc

Last 4 rounds 2012 - 106  76  82  62

2012 vs 1st 4 opponenets in 2013 - 68 and 74 / 65 / 35 and 82 / 96

He'd want to improve.

quinny88

Was hoping this stayed quiet haha. Think he will go back to a 90+ avg

tor01doc

Quinny - you probably think Richmond will make the 8.  ;)

quinny88

Quote from: tor01doc on February 21, 2013, 01:24:08 AM
Quinny - you probably think Richmond will make the 8.  ;)

Sure do! Probably give the hawks another 11 goal flogging along the way too ;) :P

tor01doc

That was truly an aberration.

Twice in a row - I don't think so.

quinny88

Quote from: tor01doc on February 21, 2013, 01:36:09 AM
That was truly an aberration.

Twice in a row - I don't think so.

Haha we will see

Dayze

Reckon ud risk it Quinny?
I can see the appeal but do not have the balls

quinny88

Quote from: Dayze on February 21, 2013, 02:08:09 AM
Reckon ud risk it Quinny?
I can see the appeal but do not have the balls

Will have to wait and see. Will be watching him in nab cup that's for sure

sid3bysid3

With his efficiency 15 midfield kicks with a handful of inside 50s and tackles in congestion he'll make you money! Will not get tagged with that tigs midfield

jimmyh

Quote from: sid3bysid3 on February 21, 2013, 01:19:18 PM
With his efficiency 15 midfield kicks with a handful of inside 50s and tackles in congestion he'll make you money! Will not get tagged with that tigs midfield

+1 as well as a couple of goals here and there

Ricochet

Its between him and D.Pearce for me atm

quinny88

Quote from: Ricochet on February 21, 2013, 01:22:27 PM
Its between him and D.Pearce for me atm

Between Newy and Yarran for me. Will only pick either if I think they can become a keeper though