WHY...is Dustin Martin so popular??

Started by blues boy, February 19, 2013, 07:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziplock

Quote from: tbagrocks on February 19, 2013, 10:49:43 PM
Quote from: Ziplock on February 19, 2013, 10:46:53 PM
Quote from: tbagrocks on February 19, 2013, 10:11:28 PM
Because Wright's a gun on the up and is destined for more midfield time, would be the standout for the Crows last sunday

wright is an overrated midget who won't get substantial mids time in the crows packed line up. Stop kidding yourself with your bias.
How about you stop trolling and realize that i'm right, if i'm wrong abot him i'll leave ff so there!

where will we get our one eyed adelaide supporterness from then? give me a predicted average and I'll bring this up come end of year :P

He's flowering tiny. 178 cm... he's already punching above his weight with an average of 85- the only players under 180cm from memory to pull out a premium average in recent years from the fwd line are chapman, who's 1cm taller and like 8kg heavier and harvey, who's arguably the one of the best small forwards the game has seen, certainly in recent years... and in his premium years (96- 2007, 95-2010)  he kicked 31 goals and 25 goals respectively, substantially more than wright who's like ranked 8th for goals in adelaide (not really needed much as a goal kicker considering you have porplyzia and callinan mopping up).

Adamant

Gotta agree with Zip here. Wright is good player, but very overrated from a DT point of view...

tbagrocks

That's because he's not a forward he is a midfielder ::)  the bet is that he runs through the midfield

Ziplock

sloane and danger are both mid only and kicked substantially more goals than him. You need significant forward time for eligiblity. I wont deny that he'll run through the midfield, but I think if anything his mid time will decrease this year a bit. Fact is, at an 85 average he'd need to average a premium forward to be a worthwhile pick, which is around 95+... I dont see it.

tbagrocks

He did start off mostly forward, after mid season he became a mid regular also geting tagging roles, a hig of 37 disposals against Freo

I have said all along he will increase his numbers from 20 a game too 23 a game which is 7-9 points, this is mainly due to more midfield time and game experience, it's only his third year but not just me, others see him being a gun regular midfielder too

I really like the way he plays, he just looks like a footballer, 95 ave is reachable but I do expect over 90. So with 44 trades and him rising in value, i'll take a 90-92 for 8-14 weeks and trade him too Chap,am, SJ, Buddy if he is not going to become a keeper, but i've said before he is this years Sidebottem

Dayze

Wright is a superb footballer. Only in his third season. Very good decision maker. Clean hands.
I don't think ill risk him this year but he won't go backwards and I definedly see the appeal. Plenty of upside

elephants

Wright is very good at AFL.

I tend to agree though. Yes, he ran through the mids in the nab against Saints and Port

... but...

Thompson, Dangerfield, Sloane, Van Berlo and Vince were all missing from that midfield. Add them in and you'll likely see Wright slip to the HFF.

tbagrocks

Yep sure Ele, but two things

Bluddy football fans (soccer) calling Aussie Rules as AFL >:( >:( >:( drives me froggin nuts ::), slip of the toung ele? :P

The midfield rotations have changed massively, players get about 7 minutes on field before rotation?

Yes those mids are sure to play but Matty is challenging them all, is now in the top 5 mids at Adelaide but you only need to be a 6-8 to score fantasy points thanks to rotations

elephants

Haha I dunno why I called it AFL. Its late, and I'm tired.

Probably actually comes off the back of an intense convo with a mate who thinks calling footy GAYFL is both funny and witty ::) :P

tbagrocks

Quote from: elephants on February 20, 2013, 04:55:59 AM
Haha I dunno why I called it AFL. Its late, and I'm tired.

Probably actually comes off the back of an intense convo with a mate who thinks calling footy GAYFL is both funny and witty ::) :P
I believe you and you are forgiven

these football/soccer lovers that continue to call AFL a sport is bewilding but amuysing, and annoying >:(

Holz

Quote from: Memphistopheles on February 19, 2013, 08:25:11 PM
I think people are picking him on potential, which is a dangerous thing to do when picking someone who you need as a premium player in your team.

He looked so good in his second year - goal-kicking midfielder, hard at the ball, dishing out the don't argues and everyone is still caught up on that memory of him.

I avoided him last year and will do again this year. However, if he does start to live up to his potential it's not hard to trade him in now.

agreed not the most safe option. Than again though I picked Sidey Danger and would have had Beams (if not injured) on potential.

You need to go after a few players you think will breakout.

Toga

I completely agree with you Holz. If you pick no players on breakout/potential, then imo you're not getting value for money from your starting salary cap, as these players you pick on potential are less expensive than you think they should be.

For example, I could pick (with predicted averages):

Birchall (90), Watson (110), Franklin (98)  =  $1,456,100 (298)

Heppelll (93), Redden (113), Martin (92)    =  $1,407,200 (298)

So I'm getting basically the same averages (imo) for 50K less... That 50K could be used to turn Tom Lee into Daniher/Mayes, or to upgrade a premium to a better preimum...

Anyways that's my take on it. I'm picking some players on value/potential because I feel it lets me pick a stronger team.

Ziplock

Toga

Quote from: Ziplock on February 20, 2013, 12:57:41 PM
franklin is more around 105.. :P

that's my predicted ave for this year ;)

I may be wrong but just think he will drop off a tad with all these contract talks etc...

tbagrocks

Buddy the Docker...

With the new trading I see hige potential in starting as many under priced/breakout players and are reluctant on to many high priced premo's like Boyd, Buddy, Swan etc