WHY...is Dustin Martin so popular??

Started by blues boy, February 19, 2013, 07:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toga

Quote from: tbagrocks on February 20, 2013, 02:48:19 PM
Buddy the Docker...

With the new trading I see hige potential in starting as many under priced/breakout players and are reluctant on to many high priced premo's like Boyd, Buddy, Swan etc

Completely agree tbag!

Memphistopheles

Quote from: tbagrocks on February 20, 2013, 02:48:19 PM
Buddy the Docker...

With the new trading I see hige potential in starting as many under priced/breakout players and are reluctant on to many high priced premo's like Boyd, Buddy, Swan etc

Interesting - I  both agree and disagree with you here tbag.

My strategy this year is to start with the really proven super premiums guns (My midfield is Ablett, Swan, Boyd and Cotchin atm) , put in some midpricers on each line, keep some cash in the bank and just trade in breakout players when they're on the brink of a price rise.

That way my team gets an early lead on teams without the guns and I can just make a simple trade to any players who are living up to their potential to keep me ahead of the pack.

SydneyRox

i know we are getting off track here, but the critical number to look at is the standard deviation. Swan and Ablett have small standard devs. So they are not likely to drop quickly. While Buddy does have a decent std dev, so he is more likely to drop in price and we can take advantage of

strikes91

Quote from: SydneyRox on February 20, 2013, 09:42:15 PM
i know we are getting off track here, but the critical number to look at is the standard deviation. Swan and Ablett have small standard devs. So they are not likely to drop quickly. While Buddy does have a decent std dev, so he is more likely to drop in price and we can take advantage of

The F.A.R.K.

Quote from: blues boy on February 19, 2013, 08:03:24 PM
Quote from: Holzman on February 19, 2013, 07:58:29 PM
nearly a 90 average in his second season, down last year so cheap.

reports are he is training the house down.

richmond picked up a few forwards, and talk is he is moving into the mids more.

But would you start with him as a F3 or F4?? Surely colin sylvia is better value $40,000 cheaper?

Melbourne bring in Byrnes, Toumpas, Viney, Jones, Rodan, Dawes, Pedersen, Gillies, Terlich who are all probably in melbournes best 22...id be very worried about picking sylvia

elephants

Quote from: The F.A.R.K. on February 22, 2013, 02:34:25 AM

But would you start with him as a F3 or F4?? Surely colin sylvia is better value $40,000 cheaper?

Melbourne bring in Byrnes, Toumpas, Viney, Jones, Rodan, Dawes, Pedersen, Gillies, Terlich who are all probably in melbournes best 22...id be very worried about picking sylvia

I dont think he would be at risk of being outside the 22, Byrnes, Dawes, Rodan and potentially Toumpas into the Dees fwd/half fwd line might help Colin and push him into the midfield!

pommyadam

Quote from: strikes91 on February 20, 2013, 10:21:29 PM
Quote from: SydneyRox on February 20, 2013, 09:42:15 PM

going purely on Standard Dev here, Watson and Redden were the best 2 mids based on last year's scores
remember that Ablett scored 190 (and had a 61 the following round) and Swan had 2 scores over 170, and dropped below 100 on one occasion (scoring 94)

edit: stats based on mids down to the price of ROK
edit2: looking at that stat, only one mid had a higher StDev than Ablett in that price range, he's called Stanton (owning a 193 and a 61)

The F.A.R.K.

Quote from: elephants on February 22, 2013, 02:37:54 AM
Quote from: The F.A.R.K. on February 22, 2013, 02:34:25 AM

I dont think he would be at risk of being outside the 22, Byrnes, Dawes, Rodan and potentially Toumpas into the Dees fwd/half fwd line might help Colin and push him into the midfield!

Toumpas, Viney, Rodan, Trengove, N.Jones, M.Jones all in mids, my concern would be Colin being pushed into deep fwd as a fwd pocket which he was playing last year when he hurt his back and was ave 60s

tbagrocks

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2013-02-18/dream-team-watch  Does the actual club agree with me? ;D  :P

Matthew Wright (FWD/MID)
$438,700

Game one: five kicks, four handballs and one tackle
DT points: 34

Game two: six kicks, three handballs and five tackles
DT points: 46

Adelaide’s best performer across the two games on Sunday, Wright picked up where he left off last season. The goalkicking midfielder averaged 85.16 points per game in 2012, and will only get better with another full pre-season under his belt. Could be a unique dual-position pick for your side.

Ziplock

no. Adelaide is going to say

'flower our player is showerhouse, there's no way he's going to be decent this year.'

because that's totally what they would do.

it's a nab cup game, in which adelaide didn't field even close to their best midfield, so he get more opportunity there...

on top of that, he was coming up against an underpowered port adelaide and st kilda side, hardly quality opposition.

Ziplock

so I was wrong, there is a more biased person in the world about adelaide. The adelaide football club.

StuL

Because they're idiots, that's why. That's why everyone does everything!

tbagrocks

Quote from: StuL on February 23, 2013, 04:26:43 AM
Because they're idiots, that's why. That's why everyone does everything!
Well i'd like to agree :o  but you're just a siily troll so ...

essendon2

Quote from: Toga on February 20, 2013, 12:47:41 PM
I completely agree with you Holz. If you pick no players on breakout/potential, then imo you're not getting value for money from your starting salary cap, as these players you pick on potential are less expensive than you think they should be.

For example, I could pick (with predicted averages):

Birchall (90), Watson (110), Franklin (98)  =  $1,456,100 (298)

Heppelll (93), Redden (113), Martin (92)    =  $1,407,200 (298)

So I'm getting basically the same averages (imo) for 50K less... That 50K could be used to turn Tom Lee into Daniher/Mayes, or to upgrade a premium to a better preimum...

Anyways that's my take on it. I'm picking some players on value/potential because I feel it lets me pick a stronger team.
and Jobe will average 115+

Hagebear

Quote from: Ziplock on February 22, 2013, 06:50:40 PM
no. Adelaide is going to say

'flower our player is showerhouse, there's no way he's going to be decent this year.'

because that's totally what they would do.

it's a nab cup game, in which adelaide didn't field even close to their best midfield, so he get more opportunity there...

on top of that, he was coming up against an underpowered port adelaide and st kilda side, hardly quality opposition.

Wow ur a sad man Zippy. Tbag was only quoting the stats and last year Wright averaged 'more' the Dustin Martin and he did it with all of Adelaide's 'best' mids playing. So sure another preseason will definately be massive for him and he's coming in to only his 3rd year.
Dane Swan didn't average 85 until his 4th year, Gary Ablett didn't average 85 until his 6th year, Matthew Boyd didn't average 85 until his 5th year and Jobe Watson his 4th. Now not comparing Matty Wright or Dusty to these blokes for a second but stats don't lie so biased or not biased the stats don't lie so stop being so teary 24/7.