Plans for Viney and Toumpas

Started by Noz, February 17, 2013, 11:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noz

Melbourne coach Mark Neeld has hosed down expectations that exciting draftees Jimmy Toumpas and Jack Viney will be full-time regular senior players in 2013.

The pair both impressed in patches during Friday's modified intra-club practice match at Casey Fields, but Neeld is mindful that they be nursed through their first seasons in the AFL.

Toumpas ran through the midfield, recovering nicely after a knock to the leg kept him off for the entire second term. Viney was busy and creative at clearances and in his instance, the 12 months he has already spent at the club was clearly evident.

They may get a run in the NAB Cup openers against Richmond and North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium on Friday night. They may also be in the side for the season opener against Port Adelaide at the MCG on 31 March. Just don't pencil them in for 22 games this year.

"There's no external pressure," Neeld said. "We'll let them come in, adapt to being AFL players and see how they go.

"Our plan is not to play those boys every game, be it NAB Cup games or the home and away season. We get lots of information and among that the workload increases every week and every season. It's hard for an 18-year-old to come in and make an impact on every game.

"We want them to be long term players for the football club, so we don't want to kill them early," he said.

Toumpas was the fourth selection overall at last year's NAB AFL National Draft, while Viney was a father-son selection last year, having spent the year training with the club and playing for the Casey Scorpions.

(Article by Ashley Browne curtsey of AFL website)

Noz

Anyone turned away by this article and doubting the Viney/Toumpas selections now?

T Dog

Quote from: Noz on February 17, 2013, 11:08:07 PM
Anyone turned away by this article and doubting the Viney/Toumpas selections now?

Who?

owenbond007

not a lot in the article. Viney lock if selected round 1 for me. Toumpas is on the expensive for a rookie for me. would have to pump out a few tons in the NAB to get me on board.

Noz

Gotta doubt the selections a bit, Neeld says they will ease them into the season could only play 10-12 games.

owenbond007

they only gotta play 5 or 6 full games to make 100k +

Didn't say they wouldnt get a full season either.

Ricochet

maybe he'll wait a while to bring them in like Couch last year

LF

Quote from: Ricochet on February 17, 2013, 11:20:59 PM
maybe he'll wait a while to bring them in like Couch last year

Won't that just stuff up a lot of teams

Toga

Nah Viney is still gonna be in my team if he is picked round 1. Think he has a bulky enough frame to be a regular this season.

Toumpas probably won't make the cut for me, his hip problems have me thinking that he might be eased into everything this year... BUT if Wines isn't named round 1 and toumpy is, I'll probably shuffle things around.

Colliwobblers

it depends on other rooks in other teams, i would pick tom mitchell from the swans over both of them this season if he was named round 1 and likely to play regular games, but that is very questionable...

this is the pitfall of rookie picking when we don't get spoilt with back to back expansion club start up seasons.

i don't trust Neald after last season but Viney is hard to go past if named round 1, i agree toumpas too expensive to take the risk on.

no shortage of mid rooks however

It's just a matter of getting them right from round 1. and more importatnt MAKING them right by round 3 :)

thefuzz

I find the article reassuring. I interpreted it as him saying don't expect them to play every game but they should play 15 or so games (which is all we are really looking for with mid rookies).

Toga

Quote from: thefuzz on February 18, 2013, 12:13:57 AM
I find the article reassuring. I interpreted it as him saying don't expect them to play every game but they should play 15 or so games (which is all we are really looking for with mid rookies).

Yeah was a bit more reassuring rather then worrying for me as well!

Mr.Craig

I just want the majority of the first 10 games then Neeld can do whatever the heck he wants.

LF

Quote from: Mr.Craig on February 18, 2013, 12:26:41 AM
I just want the majority of the first 10 games then Neeld can do whatever the heck he wants.

This ^^^^^

Colliwobblers

tom couch - averaged 111 champion data ranking points per game for Casey Scorpions in 2012, won their best and fairest award...

3 afl games after his debut in ROUND 16 !

guess Casey needed him more than the Dees did last season?

just saying....