Who's going for a 4 prem mid? Who's going for 5?

Started by EL TIGER, February 17, 2013, 10:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EL TIGER

M5 is becoming a real sticking point for me and no doubt many other Supercoaches this year especially with the extended mids.

It's one of those cross road choices that is either going to see you sitting pretty mid season coming in or leaving the bye rounds, or chasing your tail and everybody elses in leagues and overall.

M5

Varcoe $268,900 - Job Security ok, scoring capability medium, injury risk

Ball $301,800 - Job Security good, scoring capability ok, injury risk

Wines $169,500 - Job security ok, scoring capability ok, no injury

O'Meara $115,900 - Job security good, scoring capability good, injury medium risk

As you can see the price difference is huge.

M5 is always going to be your first Mid upgrade target

Will the difference in points scored be that much?

The potential for cash saved/cash made at M5 makes it the most important decision this year and will influence your trading strategy imo.

Any thoughts?

fever

depends on the structure of the rest of your team, but in a nutshell i'd count varcoe out and expect ball to ave ~20ppg more than wines or omeara, but that's without having seen them play.

EL TIGER

Cheers, yeah not sold on Varcoe either.

The rest of the team structure is pretty standard (God, GAJ, Pendles, Buddy etc..)

The difference is a premium upgrade somewhere else on the field, possibly even 2 prem upgrades. Upgrade JRoo, Broughton, DMartin or JGrimes for example...

GM

Ringo

My opinion for what it is worth and this where it gets tricky - Should be a mid pricer who you expect to reach prem status and be your M8 in your final team.  Pick the right one and you save trades. Most people are looking at Ball or Embley but I am looking at Moloney at a new club and brought in to increase Lions clearance rates which will suit SC scoring.

GM

Quote from: Ringo on February 20, 2013, 12:51:26 PM
My opinion for what it is worth and this where it gets tricky - Should be a mid pricer who you expect to reach prem status and be your M8 in your final team.  Pick the right one and you save trades. Most people are looking at Ball or Embley but I am looking at Moloney at a new club and brought in to increase Lions clearance rates which will suit SC scoring.
Yep Ringo,Moloney is definetley my mid pricer,great SC scoring potential M6 for me.

EL TIGER

Might be sticking with Ball after all, I like having new captains and v captains in my side..

Moloney good choice, I hovered over him a couple of times in the last few years but a bit pricey imo and would destabilize other areas of my team.

Ricochet

Based on his early fixture and scoring past, it has to be Ball imo

fever

i heard somewhere recently that luke ball said he's not running as well as he used to pre-knee (not that his game relies on running or anything, but still).

thewizz

Quote from: greenmoon on February 20, 2013, 12:57:18 PM
Quote from: Ringo on February 20, 2013, 12:51:26 PM
Yep Ringo,Moloney is definetley my mid pricer,great SC scoring potential M6 for me.
+1. All over him like a rash.

tkringle

Quote from: fever on February 20, 2013, 02:03:16 PM
i heard somewhere recently that luke ball said he's not running as well as he used to pre-knee (not that his game relies on running or anything, but still).

Ball was interviewed during the pies game where he said he's lost some speed as a result of his knee.

thewizz

Quote from: tkringle on February 20, 2013, 02:50:43 PM
Quote from: fever on February 20, 2013, 02:03:16 PM

Ball was interviewed during the pies game where he said he's lost some speed as a result of his knee.

Considering he wasn't that quick to begin with

EL TIGER

Geeze that Moloney comment has my mind ticking..

Goldy + Moloney

Vs

Jacobs + Ball

Got a feeing that Goldy could perform better than Jacobs this year as the number 1 ruck - this move would allow me to get a better M5 than Ball ($369,000 to spend at M5).

I suppose the question is how does Moloney stack up to Ball???

Ball - V Capt, Injury return, plays in and under mid, good JS but will share points each week with the likes of Pendles, Swann and Beams in the midfield.

Moloney - New to the club, looking to reinvent himself, was a high draft pick, slightly injury prone, JS?

Best mid between $300,000 - $369,000 ?

Goldy Vs Jacobs ?

hannebery2rohan

One from left field. If you have an extra 10k Luke Parker at $379k could be a good option.

tor01doc

Rookie here.

None of those mentioned will seriously threaten top 10 - 12 mids so you'll be trading them out anyway.

Extra cash by starting cheaper

Extra points by using the $180000 elsewhere - eg Martin -> Buddy.