Nick Suban

Started by Smileys Bruisres, February 15, 2013, 02:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smileys Bruisres

Hi all whats everyones thoughts on Nick Suban this year looks like he has had a good preseason and tipped to play more of a midfield role.  But there is a downside he is coached by Ross Lyon.

Hippo

For me he IS the BIGGEST watch of the NAB cup

a true smokey this one

Ricochet

He has had a very big preseason, and worked his ass off. But i don't think he will get enough time both on the field and in the midfield to be fantasy relevant this year. Mundy, Fyfe, Crowley, Hill, Barlow, D.Pearce, C.Pearce and de Boer all ahead of him for quality midfield time. Doesn't necessarily mean he can't find heaps of the footy elsewhere, but it does make it harder.

Hippo

Was very impressed with him last night!!

Started on ball in both games and was hard at it, was also interesting to see he was manned up on the cats best player from the get go

The obv comment is that fyfe and mundy weren't playing, with that aside could he be in the resting mids formation.

How long is Crowley out for? Is subes doing it crab style?

This yrs c Pearce maybe, fans seem to think so

Azzas Dockers

Has had a great preseason and there is defiantly a spot for him in Freo 22.

I can see him taking Broughton's or McPhee's spot from last year.

Crowley will be back for round 1, so Suban will score his points from the back flank (my guess) with minimal time running through the midfield.

Adam McPhee score 70-90 points a week, and Suban has shown he can easily score that many when he doesnt start as the sub.

He is locked into my side if he starts on the field in round 1 therefore won't be the sub.

SydneyRox

He played purely in the midfield on the weekend - Tick
Can score well when not tagging - Tick
Is he gonna be in the best 22 - ?

Massive chance to be a big cash cow. Will also be a nice POD

The_Captain

Suban... More like SPUDban

Windigo

Every year big things are expected of him.

I'd stay away TBH.  :-\

Shanus_

He will be a let down, if you expect him to get 90+ a week.. I'm starting with him if he is named on the field for round 1 aswell, I expect him to punch out 70+ (hopefully 75+) each week..

Without McPhee, Broughton & Roberton, expect him to get more game time - Also like it has been stated, he is defiantly in better shape this year, and I am hoping he will be this years Clancee Pearce.

Dominates the WAFL here in W.A, hopefully he can continue that form in the AFL..

For me this year you can afford to take on more mid pricers then ever before, give them a few weeks, and if their failing, jump on a rookie you dont have, before his bubble bursts, and upgrade elsewhere!

Nails

Quote from: Windigo on February 19, 2013, 07:31:59 PM

Every year big things were expected of Dangerfield

He kept not delivering. Then 2012 happened.

Will Suban Danger it up? I guess it comes down to a risk vs. reward thing.

Shanus_

Quote from: Nails on February 19, 2013, 11:09:45 PM

Exactly - This year there is less risk, but the reward is exactly the same ;)

Ricochet

Quote from: Shanus_ on February 19, 2013, 11:13:03 PM

Exactly - This year there is less risk, but the reward is exactly the same ;)
Danger got a full time midfield role in 2012 tho.
Suban won't get that this year

Windigo

I wouldn't have Danger & Suban in the same category/sentence.  :P

Mr.Craig

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-02-20/suban-in-the-centre

FREMANTLE speedster Stephen Hill has backed teammate Nick Suban to step into a midfield role this season after a standout summer that has seen him transform into one of the club's lead runners.

Suban played 14 games last season, but was often used as the substitute and didn't cement himself in a regular position, playing a mix of half-back and high forward roles.

The 22-year-old has constantly been nominated by his teammates as 'best-on-track' this pre-season, and led the field in a gruelling running session on Tuesday morning in Jurien Bay, where Fremantle was completing its community camp.

With a host of second- and third-year players battling for a spot in Fremantle's midfield this year, Hill said Suban would be a good fit as he enters his fifth AFL campaign.   

"He's lost a lot of kilos and he's looking really fit," Hill said.

"It'd be good to have him in the midfield. He's another one who's really had a good pre-season.

"He's got a bit of speed this pre-season and I'm looking forward to him having a good season."

Line-breaking youngster Anthony Morabito was set to resume his role in the Fremantle midfield in 2013, but a devastating third knee injury has opened a spot in the engine room.

Second-year midfielders Cam Sutcliffe (four games in 2012) and Tom Sheridan (one) have both impressed this pre-season and are pushing for round one selection, while Lachie Neale will be keen to add to his 11 games from 2012.

"They've had really good pre-seasons, they're running really well and they're really going to be up there pushing for a spot in the team," Hill said.

"There's a lot of guys through there now, we're going to be challenging each other for spots in the midfield, so that will be good for the club.

"Tom (Sheridan) and Cam (Sutcliffe) are training really well, so they'll be pushing for a spot."

Hill was Fremantle's standout performer in the club's opening NAB Cup matches against Geelong and West Coast, winning 13 possessions (six contested) and five clearances across the two shortened games.

Winning more contested possessions has been a continued focus for the 22-year-old this pre-season.

However, he was also hopeful that recruit Danyle Pearce, who had 12 possessions and four inside 50s across the two games, could allow him to have more freedom on the outside.     

"He's such a great player, so if he's running free it's good to have him out there and if they (taggers) take him hopefully I can get free," Hill said.

"It's good having him running around as well, using his legs and speed. Hopefully we can work well together."

SydneyRox