Main Menu

Icing during sport

Started by Ziplock, February 14, 2013, 08:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziplock

Sorry, I might have confused myself a bit here... I know it's common practice to ice your muscles after intense exercise or when you get an injury, but I vaguely remember hearing something about using ice during games, like at half time, quarter time etc.

is it actually a thing/ how is it beneficial?

or am I just confusing myself over nothing..

I tried googling it, but either it doesn't exist, or I couldn't phrase it properly...

Windigo

meow meow

Quote from: Ziplock on February 14, 2013, 08:49:53 PM
I vaguely remember hearing something about using ice during games, like at half time, quarter time etc.

Icing during the game would be one of the dumbest things you could possibly do. It's just limiting your performance and adding to the risk of injury. Why do you think athletes do warm ups? Because muscles work better when they are warm.

Windigo

"Research" says that static stretches do nothing.

Dynamic stretches are the way to go.

tbagrocks

Ben Cousins seemed to have no problems ::)

Ziplock

Quote from: meow meow on February 14, 2013, 08:57:40 PM
I vaguely remember hearing something about using ice during games, like at half time, quarter time etc.

Icing during the game would be one of the dumbest things you could possibly do. It's just limiting your performance and adding to the risk of injury. Why do you think athletes do warm ups? Because muscles work better when they are warm.

see that was what I thought. That's why I was confused when I remembered hearing about it...

The_Captain

Quote from: Ziplock on February 14, 2013, 09:04:48 PM
Quote from: meow meow on February 14, 2013, 08:57:40 PM

see that was what I thought. That's why I was confused when I remembered hearing about it...

ONce players ice.. Basically means there done for the day. Never heard of anyone icing then attempting to play. WOuld be stiff as and a struggle to move that area!

Ziplock

I actually did once...

nothing strategic or anything, but I'd done my knee, and we figured on the sidelines while icing it that my injury was so bad that it couldn't get any worse by playing on it, so I ended up taking the field again since my team were getting flowered.

but yeah, that was my understanding of it noto, thanks for just clearing it all up  guys :P

The_Captain

Quote from: Ziplock on February 14, 2013, 09:23:10 PM
I actually did once...

nothing strategic or anything, but I'd done my knee, and we figured on the sidelines while icing it that my injury was so bad that it couldn't get any worse by playing on it, so I ended up taking the field again since my team were getting flowered.

but yeah, that was my understanding of it noto, thanks for just clearing it all up  guys :P

Haha. I would of told the coaches to get Trucked. Especially when your losing haha! Maybe stand in the goal square when you are up by a few in the last quarter haha. Not worth the risk when getting pumped haha.

Ziplock

nah I made the coach put me on :P

I was playing soccer anyway... we ended up winning from memory...

The_Captain

Quote from: Ziplock on February 14, 2013, 09:38:14 PM
nah I made the coach put me on :P

I was playing soccer anyway... we ended up winning from memory...

Farkk Zippy.. Should of left that part out!  :P haha. Inspirational win! Worth it then haha

Ziplock

exactly, come from behind carrying the team with a bust knee :P

The_Captain

Quote from: Ziplock on February 14, 2013, 09:52:55 PM
exactly, come from behind carrying the team with a bust knee :P

Zippy the man. Take Maxwels job at the pies. He's a joke!

Bill Manspeaker

just finished playing NHL and i see the name of this thread, was like... what other sports have icing?  ??? ;D

BGK

Adam Goodes has an ice bath every half time. Icing up during a game isn't unheard of, you just have to get yourself warmed back up.