Main Menu

Icing during sport

Started by Ziplock, February 14, 2013, 08:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MajorLazer

Quote from: brad on February 14, 2013, 09:56:37 PM
just finished playing NHL and i see the name of this thread, was like... what other sports have icing?  ??? ;D
Exact same thing happened here. :P

Ziplock

just finished playing NHL and i see the name of this thread, was like... what other sports have icing?  ??? ;D

yeah when I was looking it up a few NHL articles came up... what is icing in hockey? One of the articles said something about it breaking some dudes fibia or something... :S

Quote from: BGK on February 15, 2013, 01:10:06 AM
Adam Goodes has an ice bath every half time. Icing up during a game isn't unheard of, you just have to get yourself warmed back up.

so it is a thing? what benefits does it have though?

MajorLazer

Icing is when you hit the puck from your own blue line in behind the opposition's goal to avoid the pressure that is being put on.

Ziplock

ahhh so it's like taking the ball over for a behind in afl (like, obv. different, but the same principle?)

BGK

Quote from: Ziplock on February 15, 2013, 01:51:57 AM

yeah when I was looking it up a few NHL articles came up... what is icing in hockey? One of the articles said something about it breaking some dudes fibia or something... :S

Quote from: BGK on February 15, 2013, 01:10:06 AM
Adam Goodes has an ice bath every half time. Icing up during a game isn't unheard of, you just have to get yourself warmed back up.

so it is a thing? what benefits does it have though?

What benefits it has, I can't say. I would be seeking professional advice before doing this kind of treatment. Whilst I agree with the earlier posts about your body wanting to warmed up, I can see some benefits from icing the body, especially to previously damaged areas.

MajorLazer

Quote from: Ziplock on February 15, 2013, 01:59:38 AM
ahhh so it's like taking the ball over for a behind in afl (like, obv. different, but the same principle?)
Yep along the same lines as that.