supercoach draft strategy

Started by pikla, February 14, 2013, 06:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pikla

Haven't really seen much discussion on strategy in draft leagues. Do people think that it is better to take the player with the best average (mids) or to draft in other areas (rucks, forw, backs,) first because premiums in these positions are less abundant than in the midfield where good scoring potential runs deep??
Perhaps take a gun mid with your first pick to have a perma captain and then focus on forwards, backs and rucks??

thoughts??

The Mongoose

It's all conditional on what others in your league are choosing.

Personally, most of the blokes from my workplace are talking about pumping their mids as much as possible, so I plan to stack my back line, as there's not a lot of good scorers there. I'll still be able to pick up 100 average players in the midfield, but they'll be stuck with those in the high 80's, low 90's.

pikla

Quote from: The Mongoose on February 14, 2013, 08:37:49 PM

Personally, most of the blokes from my workplace are talking about pumping their mids as much as possible, so I plan to stack my back line, as there's not a lot of good scorers there. I'll still be able to pick up 100 average players in the midfield, but they'll be stuck with those in the high 80's, low 90's.

You're ref to their backlines right?

Nige

At the moment, I think I'll take two premium mids with my first two picks, obviously depending on who's available, then I'll probably get the best defender and forward I can, then just go from there.

upthemaidens

Something to keep in mind is how many coaches are in the league. The more teams the more diluted the player pool gets.

Who to pick does depend on whose available.
   You generally want to pick a Perma Captain first, but if you do get  late picks i.e. picks 10 and 11. You can get alittle funky, Getting the best ruck/fwds dpp players could be an option..
Basically It will come down to, do you pick Franklin over Murphy.

Another hint.. If you are not very good at negotiating deals/trades, pick a more balance side. That way you wont be as reliant on trading to sort your team out later.

SydneyRox

Yeah, first two, get the best midfielders, then grab a high scoring back or fwd the next two, finish your mids, then go rucks.

After that you just take the best avail in what ever position you need to fill.

Picking a couple of key DPP players might also alter your strategy if they are available.

That was my plan last year and it worked pretty well.

The Mongoose

Quote from: pikla on February 14, 2013, 08:48:42 PM
Quote from: The Mongoose on February 14, 2013, 08:37:49 PM

You're ref to their backlines right?

Right. Sorry, I should have been clearer on that.

Drafting from other positions puts you in a great trading position of power too.

Escapist

Definitely take a midfielder in the first and second round- snare the likes of Swan, Ablett or Cotchin, etc.
From then on, focus on the defence and forward line (Your first forward should probably also be a ruckman: roughead or cox), midfielders are abundant and you can fill them up as you go along.
Unless its for a dpp ruck, dont jump the gun on your ruckman early- its not worth it. There are 12 capable ruckmen in the AFL and depending on the number of players, there should be enough to go around. Remember: Once one ruckman goes, they'll all go soon after.

Something Ive seen is coaches loading up on quality ruckman, and sapping the ruck pool in the draft from other players, giving them a lot of trade weight to build there team post draft.

In my league (I dont do SC Draft), I won a 5th round draft pick (I now have two 5th rounds) over a game of darts from my opponent, so I can use that round to expand on any position I like, dont know if it's possible here though.

Ziplock

from playing XVs you get a really good idea about how drafting should go... after a captaincy option I'd  go straight to the backline personally- there's just not that many good players available around there...

Nige

I think being 1st, 2nd, second last and last in the draft order is pretty handy too. In a snake draft, 1st and last will get back-to-back picks.

pikla

Ive printed out a list of the top 30 players in each position and the order i would take them as preparation. Still unsure on my strategy though. Thinking ill take a gun mid and then stack my backs and forwards first.
My live draft is mon evening, can anyone tell me when we ill find out the draft order?

GM

Once the league is full you will see it under The Live Draft tag.

SydneyRox

Quote from: Ziplock on February 15, 2013, 01:53:57 AM
from playing XVs you get a really good idea about how drafting should go... after a captaincy option I'd  go straight to the backline personally- there's just not that many good players available around there...

The only problem is that even the top back in Goddard is ranked 45 overall from last year on avg points scored.

More important to nail at least your top two midfielders before going elsewhere IMO.

The caveat this year might be high scoring dpp ruc/fwd such as Cox or nic nat, that versatility will come in handy and they outscored all defenders last year.

pikla

is it true that we can only enter 1 live draft league? why is this?

upthemaidens

Quote from: pikla on February 16, 2013, 09:23:42 PM
is it true that we can only enter 1 live draft league? why is this?
Because DT and SC are new at the caper,,
   If you like drafts ,'Ultimate footy' give you 5 seperate leagues/drafts. With alot more options for setting up drafts