Midfiled Strategies

Started by vtaced, February 14, 2013, 11:49:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtaced

Better to go in with 4  or 5 premium mid fielders?

Hippo

im going in with 3 Prem, 2 underpriced Prem and 1 Mid pricer.

its all about getting the other positions correct so i dont think there is a right or wrong way about

go with your gut, if you have done enough research your gut should be close to the money

tor01doc

My butt is close to the money - wallet in back pocket man!

I believe the forward line is going to need more than the usual top scoring guys from day 1.

Not a lot of great rookie options here compared to mids. If you have to field 2 of them they could score 50's or even worse! Not only is that bad for points and overall chasers, it means not much money to be made for later in leagues.

Even one extra mid rookie who can score 70 - 80 means a lot of money and points differential not as big a deal.

Back rookies seem more likely this year so that is another option.

As per usual you just can't afford 4 really strong lines.

My strategy - this morning - is to have my 4 lines like this in order of starting strengths

Forwards
Rucks
Mids
Backs

I am happy to start with weaker mids and backs as I see more money to be made here and fewer points to be lost relatively.

Some teams with Byrnes / Le Cras / Varcoe as F3 look soft.

Others with Fyfe / Mundy at M5 look unbalanced.

Good luck punters.

GM

I feel a lot more comfortable going in with 5 premo mids.
I want to start well without compromising my cash generation.
With my current structure i can do this.

tor01doc

I like the sound of that, but you surely have to select an extra rookie on another line?

And I reckon there are fewer valid options in defence and forward than in mids.

Defenders are notoriously terrible scorers - none averaged over 101 last year so my weaker backline hopefully won't lose me too many points.

Forwards to score better this year than backs with Cox, NicNat, Ryder, Roughead, Buddy, Rocky, Zorko, SJ, Walker, Hawkins all looming as > 110 ppg.

Will be looking forward to NicNat's return!

GM

Rookie defender options should allow you to go with a 3 premo start def.
This allows more scope in mids & fwds where your scoring power is.
So yes my extra rook will be in def.

upthemaidens

Quote from: vtaced on February 14, 2013, 11:49:34 AM
Better to go in with 4  or 5 premium mid fielders?
There is no correct amount, it really depends on the structure and balance of your whole team.

SydneyRox

I think many people are compromising a little this year with the 8 on field mids. Plenty of teams with 4 premium and 1 mid pricer, not too many 5 premium or 5 premium and 1 midpricer teams I have checked out.