Gah this burger is underdone, I don't want it anymore.

Started by Holz, February 10, 2013, 02:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holz

Now most people just seem to be locking in Burger as their second ruck. I was one of them too, but now he is out of my squad and he will need to earn his way back in through some good NAB numbers.

Sure he is probably one of the best value rucks out there but really if you dont look at positions there is better value elsewhere.

Burger is still carrying an achiles injury and wont go back to full training till march. So he will come underdone. The second issue is he really that good anyway?

Sure he averaged 93 in 2011, but his second best average is 77. He came into 2012 fully fit and his first game was 64 which he than backed up with a solid 99 against calrton I know the sample size isnt great but not fantastic numbers.

He got alot of his points from hitouts in 2011, however most of his big games he got 20-25 touches you would think that coming into the season underdone will really hurt that. Not only that I believe the lion midfield has improved alot and i feel he wont be as needed as much.

Now in terms of value elsewhere there is lots but im just going to give one example. Shanon Byrnes, priced very similar to burger, has had a full preseason and is training well. Has averaged 80 and 85 i the past which I know is below burger but he has done it over more seasons. As i said he is fully fit while burger is really underdone.

Sandi for example is priced at 470k and really is capable of 100. If you drop a forward to Byrnes you can upgrade Burger to Sandi the advantage of this is i think sandi could outscore alot of the top forwards and really the forwards fluctuate in price alot. So it should be easier to upgrade to premo forwards than it is to premo rucks.

Not saying burger is a bad pick but he certaintly isnt a lock.

Nails

He scored 64 in game 1 because they used Hudson as no.1 ruck that game.

He's no.1 ruck this year and a gun for sure

Seriously...

How could you say no?

Colliwobblers

I said and say he is a lock IF FIT. will need to prove that in the nab cup.

your words are wise, except for the part about a good midfield doesn't need a good ruckman as much  :o.

the pies were hopeless when jolly was out, the eagles are awesome BECAUSE of their ruck.

A good ruck is essential to AFL success.

on having burger underdone, i agree don't because you end up covering yourself with cox or another dpp premo ruck in the fwd line which effectively is the same as starting your team with berger on the bench, and you wouldn't put a $300k player on the bench now would you?

so that money would as you say be better spent elsewhere.

for me it is simple, he is fully fit or he is not making the cut.

as a cash cow he will be fantastic but not if he has to be benched while he fattens.

as a keeper he will be a bargain pick up but not if has to be benched for the first few rounds.

@ Nails again must be an award for the character of the year this season and I nominate you :)

Nails

You're a bit rough on him mate. In the year he averaged 77 he was 21 turning 22 that year. As a tall gun ruckman, that's a pretty bloody nice average!

Even then when he was 22, he had come of age with an average of 87.33 in his last 9 games. That was with a low of 71.

EDIT : Thanks for the nom Colli (nom nom burgers)

Was talking XVs trades with a bloke about a young forward and said he's not good enough for our bloke. He replied "he might play off a wing" I sent him a picture of a chicken wing and told him he'd need to eat more than 1 to get through a game. haha. It's picture night.

Holz

As I said I still might pick him but thats only if he has a good NAB.

Im pretty happy with my Sandi Goldy combo at the moment.

I will be picking 2 out of Sandi Goldy and Burger and im not sure yet.

Do you guys have embley locked in your midfield?  If you have burger in your team than you should definately have embley.

Colliwobblers

i have Ball, "penciled" into my midfield not embley, most have embley but i prefer the hardness of the ball think he will replicate hayes 2012 return from injury....

but i think your question is rhetorical and meant to take the piss :)

for the record i think burger if fit will outscore goldy in DT.

after 10 of his 20 games last season were under 80, one a 61 and a further 6 under 60 you can have DT GoldSpud all to yourself.

But I'll pick him in SC most of those sub 60 scores in DT were 90+ in SC.

Ziplock

tbagrocks

I know what you're saying Holzy but he's just so cheap, 250k cheaper than the next guy's to look at for bargain Rucks, that's big mullah, with the game changes, he at least makes money to go and get the better performer say Maric, Sandi type (assuming you have Cox forward)

I'll be using these types of players very strategicaly, if they aren't keepers then they at least score well enough and make cash while the top players drop value making for nice swaps

Holz

Quote from: Colliwobblers on February 10, 2013, 02:57:45 AM
i have Ball, "penciled" into my midfield not embley, most have embley but i prefer the hardness of the ball think he will replicate hayes 2012 return from injury....

but i think your question is rhetorical and meant to take the piss :)

for the record i think burger if fit will outscore goldy in DT.

after 10 of his 20 games last season were under 80, one a 61 and a further 6 under 60 you can have DT GoldSpud all to yourself.

But I'll pick him in SC most of those sub 60 scores in DT were 90+ in SC.

wasn't rhetorical actually wanted to see if you had ball or embley in the mids.

what do you mean by 'if fit'. If that simply means he is not injured than he probably wont be. He definitely wont be 100% fit though. Essentially has no preseason as to speak off.

I have decided to fit him back in but he is shakey. I just brought in hartlett and needed some extra cash.

Now have Burger Ball and Embley.

im still not sure though, lets hope he can at least pump out some good scores in the NAB.

For me it came down to i think Ball + Burger can outscore Sandi + Viney

Colliwobblers

sorry Holz, i thought you were taking the piss, i would have been.

your point is extremely valid, and those who burn trades replacing injured or under performing players will lose ground to others who get to use those same trades each week on improving their teams....

as for Goldy why for DT ? i know so many have him but i don't get it and yes i remember 2011 but not as vividly as i remember 2012!

i had varcoe in my fwd line also for the record, he is currently byrnes becasue i needed the extra coin for another change but i think i will start one of them in my fwd line

macaffer is a lock, staker is questionable but on the radar

my smokie is jordan russell but i don't dare even pencil him into my side yet, not after starting howard last season.

Andrew

Quote from: Colliwobblers on February 10, 2013, 02:57:45 AM

+1

Quote from: Ziplock on February 10, 2013, 03:00:15 AM
burger embley and ball.

go hard or go home.

+1

Nails

I have Burger, I don't have Ball or Embley, can't fit them in @ M7.

Colliwobblers

Quote from: Nails on February 10, 2013, 03:16:19 AM
I have Burger, I don't have Ball or Embley, can't fit them in @ M7.

M7  :o

so pittard is your D3 ?   ;D

Adamant

I want Embley, but I'd need to make two downgrades to fit him in. :-\

Birchall + Martin + Wines/M.Jones + 85k
OR
Duffield + Sylvia + Embley

Holz

Quote from: Colliwobblers on February 10, 2013, 03:08:24 AM
sorry Holz, i thought you were taking the piss, i would have been.

your point is extremely valid, and those who burn trades replacing injured or under performing players will lose ground to others who get to use those same trades each week on improving their teams....

as for Goldy why for DT ? i know so many have him but i don't get it and yes i remember 2011 but not as vividly as i remember 2012!

i had varcoe in my fwd line also for the record, he is currently byrnes becasue i needed the extra coin for another change but i think i will start one of them in my fwd line

macaffer is a lock, staker is questionable but on the radar

my smokie is jordan russell but i don't dare even pencil him into my side yet, not after starting howard last season.

the reason behind goldy is because he is a roo i actually take notcie of the player and not just scores (not saying you are) , if he played for any other team I would say yeah I dont see what the hype is about him.

However even taking out 2011 here is why im going after him.

He cant play with another ruck in the team, the guys we have currie daw etc.. are all just backups. However the reason we went after currie is important for my second point.

Goldy last year played through a head clash and played the week after even though he shouldnt have. He also was really sick in that game he scored 24 and he shouldnt have been playing. Why did he play becasue we had no backup, really it was goldy or nobody.

With currie and daw if he does go down I think this year we wont play him. Now him not playing is a good thing as you can trade him out or switch someone like cox in instead of getting his terrible score. So if he stays fit which there should be a great chance.

90+ should be pretty easy.

take out the game he got the injury and the game after and this was what he rolled off in a row.

140 100 104 89 107 90 103 93 74 104