The 2013 rookie thread (Brisbane Lions, Melbourne Demons) Please add your team!

Started by ben_020285, February 07, 2013, 06:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben_020285

Hello all.

Thought it would be a helpful tool to start a thread about the rookie priced players available for 2013. A rookie priced player must be priced $200,000 or below. As a Dees supporter I will get things started with an analysis of each rookie priced player from the Melbourne Demons. It would be great if fans of other teams could give a realistic insight as to whether their rookie priced players are likely to play round 1 or play at all in season 2013 and whether they think that they should be included in round 1 supercoach teams. Please set your analysis up as follows:

Verdict: Lock, Likely, Watch, Unlikely, No
Name & Position
Summary of each player

LOCKS:

Jack Viney (MID)

WATCH:

Dean Terlich (DEF)
Matt Jones (MID)

UNLIKELY:

Josh Tynan (DEF)
Jimmy Toumpas (MID)
Dom Barry (MID)
Michael Evans (MID)
Rory Taggert (MID)

NO:

Troy Davis (DEF)
Mitchell Clisby (DEF)
Thomas Couch (MID)
Nathan Stark (MID)
Dean Kent (MID)

DEFENDERS:

Josh Tynan ($149,800): Debuted in 2012 and played just the 2 games so is still rookie priced. Has been training strongly but at this stage is unlikely to play round 1. May get games at some stage during the year but I would expect this would only be the case if players in the Dees backline are injured.
Verdict: Unlikely

Troy Davis ($115,900): Yet to play a game for the Dees and to be honest I am very suprised that he was not delisted at the end of 2012. He doesn't use the ball well and would not even be in our best 30 players, let alone 22. I would be suprised if he plays at all in 2013.
Verdict: No

Dean Terlich: ($109,500): Dean has been training strongly and suffered only a minor setback when he landed on his head and neck during training. He will be back into full training very soon. He could play round 1 but if I was to select my best 22 he would not make the cut just yet. It will depend a lot on what sort of impression he has made on the coach so far. His NAB Cup apperances should allow us to gain more of an insight as to whether he will play round 1 this year. If he is named then lock him in.
Verdict: Watch

Mitchall Clisby (rookie) ($96,200): Will not play senior footy this year.

MIDFIELDERS:

Thomas Couch (rookie) ($192,600): Tom played 3 games in 2012 after starring at VFL level. He was unable to make an impact at AFL level and was not elevated from the rookie list. I dont expect him to play many games this year as there are many players who are ahead of him at present and he will need to be elevated from the rookie list which I can't see happening as James Magner would be more likely.

Jimmy Toumpas ($184,500): An absolute gun footballer who played in the SANFL seniors last year. He has shown that he can play against men and I would expect him to line up in the Dees for round 1. Unfortunately, he was pick 4 in the draft so he carries a heavy price tag. Due to this he’s unlikely for my team. If you have room for him then you won’t be disappointed.

Nathan Stark (rookie) ($130,200): Will not play senior football this year.

Dom Barry ($115,900): Picked up as part of the deal that landed Jesse Hogan at the Dees. I am very excited about this kid. At the moment he is a stick so I am unsure whether he can cut it at AFL level. He has elite skills though and has been likened to a Lewis Jetta type. I expect him to get games this year but think he will start off at Casey in the VFL. When he does play I would not expect him to score particularly well.

Michael Evans ($115,900): ‘Pickles’ has had his fair share of injury worries in the past and sat out the entire of 2012 with a serious back injury. This year he is training with the main group and training strongly. It should be noted that Evans racked up 27 disposals on debut in 2011 so clearly he knows how to find the footy. I don’t think he is in the Dees best 22 but may get games in 2012.

Rory Taggert ($115,900): Rory was picked up in the 2011 draft but did not play any games last year. Mainly due to the fact that he was injured. He is no longer injured and has trained strongly with the main group during the pre-season. Not yet in our best 22 but may get games this year.

Matt Jones ($109,500):  Recruited from Box Hill in the VFL, Jones is a mature age player who is ready made to play in the AFL. Whether he gets a spot in the best 22 is the question mark. Personally, I do not think he makes the cut just yet. In saying that, it would not surprise me if he is named round 1.
Verdict: Watch

Dean Kent: ($109,500): Kent won the WAFL Colts B & F last year so is clearly a good player. He has not yet played against men though and with that in mind I do not believe that he is ready for senior footy. Only way I can see him playing this year would be injuries to multiple midfielders.

Jack Viney ($109,500): Now this kid is a gun. Played in the VFL last year for Casey and has a ready made body for AFL. Pencil him in for a spot in your midfield for round 1. Lockity lock lock!
Verdict: Lock

RUCKS

Max Gawn ($115,900): Unfortunately Max has injured himself after coming back from an ACL that he tore last year. He is on the long term injury list so will not be playing round 1. He may get games when he is back from injury.

FORWARDS:

NIL

quinny88

Great work Ben. Really good, in depth write up.

If I could be bothered doing Richmond I would.. But I really cant  :P

Jay

Quote from: quinny88 on February 07, 2013, 10:11:40 PM

lol same here with Adelaide, Quinny :P

Very good write-up Ben, a great read :)

Ringo

Quote from: Jayman on February 07, 2013, 10:15:22 PM
Quote from: quinny88 on February 07, 2013, 10:11:40 PM

lol same here with Adelaide, Quinny :P

Very good write-up Ben, a great read :)
Agree with others - I could do a summary for Lions if you like Locks. Watch. Unlikely. Wont Play and then come back later on if I have time to do the detail. 

tbagrocks

Is this an invetation to do an Adelaide rookie line up ;D ;D ;D

Actually I already have, go to the Adelaide section of the forum ;) all the contenders are there

ben_020285

Yeah had a bit of time on my hands fellas so thought I'd do this. If you guys find the time to do your teams that would be cool. Doesn't have to be as in depth as mine!

Just think it will be useful as I for one wouldn't have a clue about how rookie priced players are faring at their respective clubs.

Cheers!

tbagrocks

Quote from: ben_020285 on February 07, 2013, 11:45:11 PM
Yeah had a bit of time on my hands fellas so thought I'd do this. If you guys find the time to do your teams that would be cool. Doesn't have to be as in depth as mine!

Just think it will be useful as I for one wouldn't have a clue about how rookie priced players are faring at their respective clubs.

Cheers!
Can always check out Mr Craigs rookie thread top of the Dream Team section mate

Ringo

Just a quick Summary on the Lions Rookies.  Will come back and do more detail if I get a chance.

Locks:
Brent Staker (D/F) will be in most teams at the price of $128,200
Sam Docherty  (D) - Seems to be the favourite for the vacant HB position - Good news for SC,

Watch:
Sam Mayes (M/F) - Has been a standout on the training track and may push for games early. Pick 8 in National Draft
Marco Paparone (M/F) - Been outstanding at training won the 2km time trial
Michael Close (F) - Allso been outstanding on the training paddock finishing 3rd in the 2km time trial.
Jesse O'Brien (M) - Has had some game time but a little way down the pecking order,
Sam Michael (R) - Player of the NEAFL final but behind Berger, Martin and Longer may get games if injury strikes. Can play as tall defender as well.

Highly Unlikely:
Steven Wrigley (D) - Rookie list
Justin Clarke (D) - Rookie list
Richard Newell - (D) - 2nd year player trains well but will find it difficult to break into Lions back line
Callam Bartlett (M/F) Rookie list
Patrick Wearden M/F) - Little way down the list
Nick Hayes (F) - Rookie list
Jordan Bourke (F) - Rookie list